Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Traveling Wilburys

Old 01-11-02, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling Wilburys

What a shame that Vol I. is out of print (or however you'd like to classify it).

Who is the guy besides Petty, Harrison, Orbison, Dylan? He has a great part in "End of the Line", but I don't know who he is.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Jeff Lynne from Electric Light Orchestra

I suspect that Harrison's death will get that album back into print.
Old 01-11-02, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both volumes were great but Vol. 1 with Tweeter & The Monkeyman is my fav!
Old 01-11-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I remember hearing something about a year and a half ago that George Harrison was getting the rights to Wilburys, Vol 1 & Vol 3 (even though Vol 3 wasn't nearly as good) and was planning on re-releasing them. For obvious reasons, that can't happen now.

The thing I like about the Wilbury's disc is that there's lots of them out there (I've owned about 5 or 6 different copies in the last couple years)and they're worth $25-35 on eBay if you sell them.
Old 01-11-02, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by DTSC
The thing I like about the Wilbury's disc is that there's lots of them out there (I've owned about 5 or 6 different copies in the last couple years)and they're worth $25-35 on eBay if you sell them.
Yep. I sold Vol. 1 on Half.com for $35 about two months ago. Great album--I hope they do manage to get it back in print.
Old 01-11-02, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1404367146

Old 01-11-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<small>Originally posted by Thunderball http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1404367146</small>
That's around the same amount I got for a sealed one around 2 months ago.
Old 01-18-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 612 Posts
Re: Traveling Wilburys

Originally posted by Toad
Who is the guy besides Petty, Harrison, Orbison, Dylan? He has a great part in "End of the Line", but I don't know who he is.

Thanks.
Nothing against you but I cringed when I read your post. It just bothers the hell out of me that Jeff Lynne is not known as well as the other 4 "Wilburys."

Lynne only brought life back to both Tom Petty, George Harrison, & Roy Orbison's careers when they were all but gone. He helped The Beatles record 2 "new" songs. He wrote & produced every song except maybe 2 on every ELO album (12 & counting). He has had his hand in producing for Paul McCartney (his acclaimed Flaming Pie album) and many others.

I would not be surprised if he wrote more than 50% of the songs for the Wilbury albums & he was probably one of the reasons the Wilburys even happened. The man gets no respect from critics or the general public. Why? I have never understood it. Thanks for the rant...
Old 01-18-02, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No, thank YOU for the rant ...

Let's see, when the Traveling Wilburys' first album came out, I'm guessing I was like 11, which may or may not be accurate, along with the following:

- about that time, Tom Petty's "Full Moon Fever" came out, and the radiowaves were filled with "Free Fallin'". Therefore, I knew who Tom Petty was.

- about that time, George Harrison's song "I Got My Mind Set On You" was out, although I have no idea what album it was off of. Therefore, I knew who George Harrison was. I obviously wasn't "in to" the Beatles at that early an age.

- about that time, the movie Pretty Woman was out, or so I recall. My mother loved this movie, and often played many of Roy Orbison's songs in the car. Therefore, I knew who Roy Orbison was.

I didn't know who Bob Dylan was until some years ago, and didn't even care until a couple years ago. It was also fairly recent that I rediscovered the Traveling Wilburys Vol. I album, and heard the forgotten voice of, thanks to people in here, what seems to be Jeff Lynne.

My point -- at age 11, I didn't care who was writing songs and producing albums. My musical world was pretty much: what was played on MTV, what was played on Dr. Demento, and what my parents played in the car or at home.

Please, stop your cringing .
Old 01-18-02, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Toad, it is funny to me that the songs you mentioned, Jeff Lynne was involved in those.

Lynne co-wrote Free Fallin' with Tom Petty, sang background vocals & played bass, guitar, & keyboards on that track as well as produced it.

Lynne also produced & sang background vocals on Got My Mind Set On You. He also played bass, guitars, & keyboards.

You might also remember Roy "the boy" Orbison's comeback hit that was played constantly around the same time as Free Fallin'. (1989) That was Jeff Lynne who wrote it (w/ Orbison & Tom Petty) & also produced that track & provided not only background vocals but you guessed it...played bass, guitars, keyboards & piano.

If you like all of that music, you might want to check out some later ELO stuff & Lynne's one solo album. He is truly an underrated musical genius. By the way, I am only 5 years older than you. I was just into ELO at that time & knew that Jeff Lynne was behind all of that.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 01-18-02 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-18-02, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anything from Electic Light Orchestra that I'd know? Also, which album do you recommend?
Old 01-18-02, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad Anything from ELO that I'd know?
Start with one of these hits collections: (1 disc, 2 discs, or 3 discs)

Roll Over Beethoven
Can't Get It Out Of My Head
Evil Woman
Strange Magic
Do Ya
Telephone Line
Turn To Stone
Don't Bring Me Down
Old 01-18-02, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Toad
Anything from Electic Light Orchestra that I'd know? Also, which album do you recommend?
They had 20 top 40 hits from 1975 to 1986. The most popular of those you might have heard:
Can't Get It Out of My Head (went to #9)
Evil Woman (#10)
Livin' Thing (#13) - was also featured at end of Boogie Nights
Telephone Line (#7)
Turn to Stone (#13)
Shine a Little Love (#8)
Don't Bring Me Down (#4)
I'm Alive (#16), All Over the World (#13) & Xanadu (#8) - all from the Xanadu Soundtrack which ELO did half of
Hold On Tight (#10)

No number one hits but a lot of that is played in lots of movies & classic rock stations.

The Greatest Hits album is a good starter album. It is what I started with when I was about 11 & now I own every album they ever did plus pretty much anything Jeff Lynne touches. My personal recommendations if you want to start with a complete album & not a greatest hits:

A New World Record - done in 1976. Has some hits mingled with some that should have been. This would be the earliest album I would start with for them.

Out of the Blue (1977) - Jeff Lynne's personal favorite & mine as well. Classic from beginning to end.

Discovery (1979) - Another great pop confection filled album.

Zoom (2001) - Not really an ELO album but a Jeff Lynne solo album with the ELO name on it. This might be the best starter for you since it really sounds a lot like what Lynne was doing with Harrison, Petty, etc. Harrison actually plays slide guitar on some tracks which will probably stand as some of his last work done (except of course his upcoming last album). The album has not sold that well but this kind of music is really dead as far as radio goes.

If you get any, let me know. I would really like to hear what you think. To me, some of ELO's best stuff was the album cuts that never made it to radio.
Old 01-19-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's really great to hear this love for ELO. I've been a huge fan for over 25 years. To anyone starting out on ELO, I would also highly recommend "Eldorado" and "Face the Music", two more classics from start to finish. Jeff Lynne is definately an overlooked genius. To you Lynne fans, I would highly recommend the two albums he did with The Move ("Looking On" and "Message from the Country"). I consider The Move one of the best and most underrated bands of the '60s led by one of my heroes, Roy Wood, a man who is truly the definition of an overlooked musical genius. It was actually Wood more than anyone who formed the Electric Light Orchestra as a side project of The Move. He only did the one ELO album ("No Answer") before basically turning the band over to Lynne and moving on to form his own group and do solo material. "No Answer" is brilliant, but often overlooked even among ELO fans.