DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Best Pink Floyd Album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/173215-best-pink-floyd-album.html)

sherm42 01-10-02 12:25 PM

Best Pink Floyd Album

For some reason, Pink Floyd get vastly overlooked when people mention the greatest bands. So wht do you consider to be the best Pink Floyd Album?

palebluedot 01-10-02 01:00 PM

That's a huge toss-up for me between Dark Side and Wish You Were Here. Both albums are just pure genius.

Oh wait Animals is really good too...damn too hard to choose.

Johnny Zhivago 01-10-02 01:04 PM

<b>Ummagumma</b>

I guess that fits in your "early stuff" box... Little vague idn't it...

Jepthah 01-10-02 03:00 PM

This is tough, but I always keep coming back to "Wish You Were Here." It's as close to 'perfect' as music gets for me.

Snake Plissken 01-10-02 07:14 PM

Ummagumma should've been a choice. That would be my favorite, I love the track with the animals.

einTier 01-10-02 07:17 PM

It's a toss up for me between DSOTM and The Wall. I voted for the Wall only because I've burned myself out on DSOTM and I can't listen to it anymore.

I also really like Division Bell, but I think I'm the only one.

Grimfarrow 01-10-02 07:21 PM

Animals.

grunter 01-10-02 10:43 PM

Where's the "Pink Floyd is overrated hogwash" choice?

redhenry 01-11-02 12:48 AM

Originally posted by einTier

I also really like Division Bell, but I think I'm the only one.

Not at all...Division Bell is my 2nd or third fave after The Wall.

Terry

ViewAskewbian 01-11-02 01:09 AM

the wall - no question about it in my eyes - but dark side is right up there

Geofferson 01-11-02 09:07 AM

Obscured by Clouds

GuessWho 01-11-02 09:38 AM

Echoes ;)

bigjim25 01-11-02 11:42 AM

<small>Originally posted by einTier I also really like Division Bell, but I think I'm the only one.</small>
That's the one I voted for. I liked them some but never really started listening to them a lot 'til I was down in Florida in '94. All 98 Rock seemed to want to play was tracks from this CD. I think it's great! :D
<small>Echoes is a close 2nd even though it's like a Gr. Hits CD it has most of the other songs I like by them. ;)

adia4625 01-11-02 05:47 PM

I liked Division Bell also. But I voted for Wall. I love that damn album.

BigJim,
I had to look for your location. Theres a 98 rock here in Sacramento, CA also.

dglaser6 01-11-02 10:37 PM

Animals, with The Wall a close second.

raithen 01-12-02 12:56 PM

IMHO, The Wall is the greatest album ever recorded by any band.

That being said, Wish You Were Here and Animals would be my next two choices (as Floyd's best).

DSOTM is great, but the best was yet to come...

-matt

Snake Plissken 01-14-02 09:23 AM

Originally posted by grunter
Where's the "Pink Floyd is overrated hogwash" choice?
Since you would be the sole person on this forum who would vote that that would've been a complete waste of an option, dont'cha think?

lorenzoh 01-14-02 05:45 PM

Meddle

Gdrlv 01-14-02 05:58 PM

Originally posted by lorenzoh
Meddle
Agreed.

Trout 01-14-02 07:20 PM

I love the Darkside album, but I hate the song Money. I think it ruins the whole dark and depressing feeling of the album.

Tuan Jim 01-14-02 09:39 PM

Originally posted by Trout
I love the Darkside album, but I hate the song Money. I think it ruins the whole dark and depressing feeling of the album.
but it fits perfectly into the soundtrack when you run it against "Wizard of Oz". There's a method for the madness.

Think my favorite PF song overall is that one "Celestial Voices" (The End of the Beginning). The organ always gives me chills especially as the voice goes on and on and on. Absolutely magnificent.

Tuan Jim

Jepthah 01-14-02 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

Think my favorite PF song overall is that one "Celestial Voices" (The End of the Beginning). The organ always gives me chills especially as the voice goes on and on and on. Absolutely magnificent.

What in tarnation is this from?!? :) Some bootleg?

Just piping in also to say we need Live at Pompeii on DVD! Luckily I still have my Laserdisc. :)

Tuan Jim 01-14-02 11:18 PM

honestly, I picked it up off Audiogalaxy about 2-3 years ago when I was digging around. I haven't seen it on any other albums. It's just listed as "Pink Floyd - The End of the Beginning", though it shows up in my dir as PF - Celestial Voices (very apt title mind you).

No idea where it's from. It sure sounds like PF though.

Tuan Jim

email me if you have any other questions regarding it.

edit. did another quick search on morpheus and it looks like Celestial Voices is from Live at Pompeii.

Jepthah 01-15-02 11:08 AM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim

edit. did another quick search on morpheus and it looks like Celestial Voices is from Live at Pompeii.

:confused: I have this, and by your description cannot fathom where in the program it's from.

Maybe i'll list the 'tracks' from Live at Pompeii later. I just made a tape of it (and am currently burning a CD from the LD) for a friend. :)

raithen 01-15-02 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Jepthah
Maybe i'll list the 'tracks' from Live at Pompeii later. I just made a tape of it (and am currently burning a CD from the LD) for a friend. :)
Echoes, part one
On The Run (studio)
Careful with that Axe, Eugene
A Saucerful of Secrets
Us And Them (studio)
One of these Days
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
Brain Damage (studio)
Mademoiselle Nobs
Echoes, part two

;)

-matt