Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Spin Magazine's Top 50 Bands of All Time

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Spin Magazine's Top 50 Bands of All Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's great and correct that Bob Marley and the Wailers are so high on this list!
Old 01-13-02, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That's okay, Spin didn't make my Top 50 magazines of all time.
Old 01-14-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I think it's an ok list, except for Pearl Jam not being on top.
Of course they would be on mine... but realistically speaking, I just don't see how Nirvana could be higher than Pearl Jam on any list. Period. Yeah, yeah, they headed the grunge music, and all that crap that's been said over and over again, but I'd take my 75th favorite PJ song over my favorite Nirvana anyday. Maybe if Cobain was still around, they'd still be going strong, but although I doubt they would be, they never released an album near as good as PJ's worst...

Anyhoo, although of course on my list, PJ would be #1, I still feel that even on a list compiled by "experts" or whatnot, they should be top 5. If Nirvana can be, then PJ certainly can.
Old 01-14-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just chimed in over on that HTF thread as well... basically due to all the poor No Code talk over there... here's the post:
Don't post here much (in fact basically never), but seeing that it's PJ, I've gotta chime in.

I've been a diehard fan for many a year, and yeah, I've got all the albums, the DVDs, all 72 official bootlegs (and plenty of unofficial ones), I'm a member of the tenclub, and everything else. Unfortunately, I have only been to one show (Greensboro during the 2000 tour), but I do have about 30 concerts on video

But alot of you are just like me in all the above... the one thing that's irked me while reading this thread is the No Code bashing, such as:
IMHO, No Code shouldn't even be on the list. I'm sorry, but that album just plain sucks.
Not only have I had No Code at the top of my PJ albums list for a few years straight now, but I believe it to be the greatest album ever made, bar none.

It's not really possible to describe why I feel the way I do about each song, but can you possibly deny the power of Present Tense (my co-fave PJ tune, along side I Got Sh*t) or the brilliant drum work and beauty of In My Tree. On top of this, you get introspective work like Sometimes and I'm Open, a Young Neil (as Eddie calls him) inspired rocker in Red Mosquito, and even a lullaby to close the album!

It's impossible to describe how I feel about every song on it individually, but as much as I love every album PJ's released, No Code definitely tops my list.

1) No Code
2) Vitalogy
3) Ten
4) Vs.
5) Yield
6) Binaural

Of course, the b-sides like I Got Sh*t, Wash, Footsteps, Alone, SOLAT, and so many more comprise most of my favorites.

Anyhoo, that's all from me for now... give No Code another chance, PLEASE!
Old 01-14-02, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Putting Korn on this list is an insult to anyone who can read. I'm glad to see the Smiths on it though. And although I agree that Radiohead shouldn't rate higher than their piers and influences, they *should* be on there somewhere.
Old 01-14-02, 08:31 AM
Banned

AC/DC is on the list and The Pixies aren't? Riiiiight. Anyone who knows anything about music should know that without the Pixies there would be no Nirvana. Period. (And that's coming from the mouths of all three members themselves.)
Old 01-14-02, 08:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Jason
and does anybody think Pavement should be on this list?
Yes, Pavement should be on the list.
Old 01-14-02, 08:36 AM
Banned

Originally posted by kornhead
no Aerosmith?
oh please, the last album they've made that would even remotely be considered great is 'Rocks' and that was 26 years ago.
Old 01-14-02, 08:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by conscience

Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, N.W.A., Run D.M.C., New Order, Korn, Outkast, and RHCP should not be on the list. Matter of fact they should not be in the TOP 100000000000.
Lemme guess, conscience....you aren't a fan of hip/hop-rap?
Old 01-14-02, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by cwwallace
That's okay, Spin didn't make my Top 50 magazines of all time.
Old 01-14-02, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Who is #39?
Old 01-14-02, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Numanoid
I agree that Temptations and Supremes are just singing groups, not bands, so they don't belong on this list.
By that logic though, NWA, Outkast, Run-DMC, etc. should not be on the list either. After all, I've never seen Ice Cube play a guitar. Don't get me wrong, I think they belong there, but it does seem like Spin was being a bit arbitrary.
Old 01-15-02, 03:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
No DEVO???? Pioneers of performance art, art rock, music video, synth pop, etc etc etc?

Oh well, i don't take these lists personally, it's amusing to see people get so worked up abotu something so silly

Personally, i'm THRILLED that the ramones placed so high. In fact, I wish they'd been #1. Just ONCE I'd like to see a "greatest" poll with the beatles no where near the top. It would make me smile ear to ear.

I am also thrilled by the recognition given to Public Enemy. Truly and innovative act and praise is long overdue.

Korn should quickly return to being a Faith No More cover band and never release another album again.

I'm surprised that the Who are ranked so low, but I won't gripe about it.

I also can't stand the Smiths or Pearl Jam, but I'm not going to shoot anyone in anger due to their placement.
Old 01-15-02, 03:41 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
No DEVO???? Pioneers of performance art, art rock, music video, synth pop, etc etc etc?

Oh well, i don't take these lists personally, it's amusing to see people get so worked up abotu something so silly

Personally, i'm THRILLED that the ramones placed so high. In fact, I wish they'd been #1. Just ONCE I'd like to see a "greatest" poll with the beatles no where near the top. It would make me smile ear to ear.

I am also thrilled by the recognition given to Public Enemy. Truly and innovative act and praise is long overdue.

Korn should quickly return to being a Faith No More cover band and never release another album again.

I'm surprised that the Who are ranked so low, but I won't gripe about it.

I also can't stand the Smiths or Pearl Jam, but I'm not going to shoot anyone in anger due to their placement.

I also FULLY support the placement of Pavement, and shake my head in a concerned manner about the Pixies snub. That's a big boo boo.
Old 01-22-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, really...if I made this list Pearl Jam would be all on their own list as the WORST thing to happen to music in the last 10 years (thanks to all the garbage we are stuck with today due to their "influence"). I despise this band! Nirvana is/was eons better.
Old 01-22-02, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by ViewAskewbian

janis as well became a seperate entity from her band
I'm much more likely to think of Big Brother and the Holding Company when I think of Janis Joplin than I am to think of the Spiders from Mars as a band when I think of David Bowie. Seems to me like Spin assigned solo artists bands just so it could include them on their list. In any case, if David Bowie and the Spiders from Mars qualify as a "band" by Spin's terms, then so should Bob Dylan and the Band, who should have been # 2 behind the Beatles.

With a few exceptions, the list is crap.
Old 01-25-02, 12:26 AM

frankly, i'm surprised that not more of a ruckus was made about the fact that THE EAGLES were not included.

there is a lot of talk about the Pixies, which is quite reasonable since they should be on the list. but i think quite an uproar should be made about The Eagles not being included!!
-di doctor-
Old 01-25-02, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ummm, Korn ahead of Pink Floyd?

And why is it that these NY based mags always put Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, and the Ramones into every damn best of list? Sure, everyone has heard of them, but nobody really buys these albums.
Old 01-25-02, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

J-Dubya, I don't live in NY and I have a lot more Ramones albums and Velvet Underground albums than Pink Floyd. I'm glad sales aren't the only indication of what makes someone pick a band on a list like this.
Old 01-25-02, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by J-Dubya

And why is it that these NY based mags always put Velvet Underground, Patti Smith, and the Ramones into every damn best of list? Sure, everyone has heard of them, but nobody really buys these albums.
I live on the opposite side of the country, and I've got every VU album and damn near every Ramones disc too. Why are these bands on the list? Someone once said, "Not many people bought Velvet Underground albums, but everyone who did started a band." They're three of the most influential artists in history.
Old 01-25-02, 12:29 PM
Retired

I don't live in New York and I own some ramone's stuff. The Ramones have sold a ton of albums, so the comment that "nobody really buys these albums" is ridiculous. I was happy to see Pink Floyd low on the list, though I don't care much for Korn either. Pink Floyd is one of my most hated bands, I just can't stand them, along with the Greatful Dead and Phish.
Old 01-25-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Mazinger
The Who is #39?
My sentiments exactly! Trying to stir the pot by ranking bands maybe where they should and shouldn't be is fine, but that is ludicrous!
Old 01-27-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Rolling Stones should have been in the top 5. Queen and the Pixies should have been included. What I liked most about the list was seeing Husker Du on it. These guys were a great band. They put out 3 classic albums in 14 months, and one was a double album. They also did something that very few artists have ever done, they put out 2 classic double albums, Zen Arcade and Warehouse: Songs and Stories. Only one artist I can think off has done this, Prince, (1999 and Sign of the Times)
Old 01-28-02, 03:56 PM
Banned

ok,"nobody really buys these albums".....I take it then you feel the Top 50 Bands should really be the Top 50 Best-Selling Bands? Velvet Underground, P. Smith, and Ramones are seminal and important artists, and if people may not know them as well as Pearl Jam then that's their loss. Get a clue, pal.

Last edited by Ciccone; 01-28-02 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-28-02, 04:08 PM
Banned

Btw, probably the worst ommision on the list has to be The Pixies. At a time when most people were buying up Bon Jovi's 'New Jersey', a record as abrasive, assaultive and fun as Surfer Rosa must've seemed absolutely alien to the masses in those days. It's still a bit frustrating when I hear Nirvana fans go, "Pixies? Are they like a girl group or something?" when Cobain blatantly and openly ripped-off the basslines of 'Gouge Away' and made up 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' using them.

Last edited by Ciccone; 01-28-02 at 04:10 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.