Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Bands that quit at their creative/commercial height

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Bands that quit at their creative/commercial height

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know about creative height and they didn't quit per se, they are actually on hiatus, but Phish was at their commercial height when they stopped.
Old 01-14-02, 08:34 AM
Suspended Pending Vaild Email

Uncle Tupelo
Old 01-14-02, 09:24 AM
Banned

The Pixies
The Beatles
Old 01-15-02, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kevin H
I don't know about creative height and they didn't quit per se, they are actually on hiatus, but Phish was at their commercial height when they stopped.
I think they were at their creative height when they stopped. Phish's jams really started to evolve in about 1998, and I think it was definitely for the better. The exuberance and childish humor that was really prevalent in the early/mid-90s sure was fun, but as the band got older, they really pulled it together and began to make beautiful music that didn't need in-jokes to pull in the fans. I realize that many (if not most) disagree with this, but just my .02. Can't wait to see how they've evolved once the hiatus ends.
Old 01-15-02, 01:33 PM

I agree with those who cite the Beatles and the Police. Actually, the latter probably the best example of this one can find. Synchronicity was easily their most successful album, and they were on the verge of true stadium status when they went kerplooey - or at least Sting decided they'd go kerplooey. Of course, they semi-reunited in 1986, but beyond recordings of a few old hits and three benefit shows, that was that.

Dunno how anyone can include George Michael in the equation. If he'd retired after Faith, sure, but he's done a lot of work since then. Wham! is a much more convincing case...
Old 01-15-02, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess you can say Nirvania but the rest of the band really didn'thave much of a choice. I will add a vote to Uncle Tupelo, the Pixies, At the drive in, operation ivy, frente!, the jam, velevet underground, and the beatles.