DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Anyone like The Strokes? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/172898-anyone-like-strokes.html)

DodgingCars 01-09-02 01:50 PM

Anyone like The Strokes?

I hadn't heard anything about them. I don't watch MTV, I listen to the radio occasionally, and I rarely read music magazines. Apparently there was some hype about them before they released their album, but I've never even heard of them until recently.

They have been playing "Last Night" on the radio recently and I really like the song, so I decided to download some songs by them to check out their other stuff. I like their sound and the album seems pretty solid.

anyone here like them?

El Scorcho 01-09-02 01:51 PM

No, but I tell you who I do like -- the fine lads in the Music Talk forum. ;)

SnoopDogg 01-09-02 01:53 PM

I dont really, I seen there video on MTV, there style is just a monatone(sp) signing voice. Can hardly hear him over the music.

Y2K Falcon 01-09-02 01:55 PM

[Billy Squier]I think they're OK.[/Billy Squier]

DodgingCars 01-09-02 01:55 PM

Originally posted by DTSC
No, but I tell you who I do like -- the fine lads in the Music Talk forum. ;)
I never venture out of the Other. I didn't even know there was a music talk forum.

Ok.. well.. mods .. feel free to move.

CharlesC 01-09-02 01:55 PM

Its just not for me...I like different strokes. rotfl !

Renton 01-09-02 02:05 PM

I like The Strokes CD alot. It is solid across the boards. It reminds me alot of The Velvet Underground. I would definately recommend picking it up. Much better than most of the stuff being released these days in my opinion.

El Scorcho 01-09-02 02:09 PM

Originally posted by DodgingCars

I never venture out of the Other. I didn't even know there was a music talk forum.

Ok.. well.. mods .. feel free to move.

Did you know we had an International forum? I couldn't believe it until I accidentally ended up in there the other day!

Jackskeleton 01-09-02 02:10 PM

the strokes are really good. been hearing a lot of them. But i would suggest moving past "last night" and to there other songs. they are very enjoyable. :)

Yancey 01-09-02 02:17 PM

My thoughts:

http://www.flakmag.com/music/strokes.html

The Strokes

Is This It

RCA

German social theorist Walter Benjamin's landmark essay "The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction" argues that an original piece of artwork possesses an aura of importance that a reproduction cannot. It seems like an obvious concept, that an original is more valuable than an imitation, but the buzz surrounding the Strokes hints that some people prefer prints to Picassos.

The Strokes are the New York-based quintet currently slouching in the band-of-the-moment throne. Hyped incessantly by the British music weekly NME, in the matter of three months and one three-song EP they evolved from yet another '70s proto-punk-influenced act to the latest Saviors of Rock and Roll.

But as Veruca Salt and Jonathan Fire*Eater can attest, too much hype can be a bad thing. Buzz builds until fans glaring "prove yourself" comprise a band's entire audience. The Strokes have gotten more press and a bigger promotional push ("Hear the band of the future, today!") than any group in recent memory, which could hurt them. The initial excitement generated by five youngsters (oldest Stroke: 22) mimicking rock royalty has vanished. Instead, their every movement registers like a seismic wave with the weight of the expectations heaped upon them. Even the title of the group's debut full-length, Is This It, turns from a coy proposition to an all-out war cry, considering the buildup.

Meanwhile, the music that has garnered this attention is good, but not great. Singer Julian Casablancas' muffled vocal does a fine job of imitating Lou Reed and Iggy Pop, and tracks like "Last Nite" and "The Modern Age" (both found on the group's debut EP) aptly recall the grime and strut of 1970s New York. But there is little off Is This It that isn't simply an homage. Even the melody from the Spinners' 1980 hit "Working My Way Back to You/Forgive Me, Girl" is lifted note-for-note for the Strokes track "Soma." Despite the unoriginality, however, the songs are bouncy and fun, even if the album as a whole drags.

Problem is, rock and roll is all about who came first. The greatness of Elvis will always carry an invisible asterisk for the countless country and blues performers from whom he copped his moves, songs and style. Rightly or wrongly, there is a rock canon, one that adores the Velvet Underground because their music could be so beautiful and harsh, but more importantly because they did it first. To quote Benjamin's "Work of Art...": "Even the most perfect reproduction of a work of art is lacking in one element: its presence in time and space, its unique existence."

The Strokes cannot overcome this. They aren't even a perfect reproduction of the Velvet Underground, the Stooges or Television, despite their murky production style and appearance. The flipside, however, presents the possibility that this is their time, just like Nirvana's moment was in 1991. Sometimes a style of music, no matter how derivative, comes seemingly out of nowhere and clicks with the public. But seemingly is the key word. The adage that there is nothing new under the sun is correct, but the good stuff seems to hide under rocks, or in garages.

But even if the Strokes are rising rapidly at the perfect time, the music needs to be strong enough to support that rise, and, for the most part, it is. The aggressive, yet minimal, instrumentation and well-constructed songs certainly help Is This It emerge in an overcrowded music market. But can they live up to the expectations of an over-eager rock world? The band says it best on "Take it or Leave it," the album's final cut, "We're gonna let you down."

— Yancey Strickler

Pillowhead 01-09-02 02:18 PM

Very good album. One of the best of the year. I personally like their songs "Take it or leave it", "NYC Cops" and others. Great pick get it.

Meatpants 01-09-02 02:36 PM

Originally posted by Renton
I like The Strokes CD alot. It is solid across the boards. It reminds me alot of The Velvet Underground. I would definately recommend picking it up. Much better than most of the stuff being released these days in my opinion.
:thumbsup:

Jump on the bandwagon now, I actually heard them playing Last Night at Target the other day :o

dork 01-09-02 03:37 PM

Re: Anyone like The Strokes?

I hadn't heard anything about them.
:jawdrop:

When the album came out I read a couple of negative/lukewarm reviews which I attributed to backlash against all of the hype and was all set to really love these guys. So then I listened to it. Eh. Not that they're awful (I think some of those pans were just critics gleefully piling on what was being shoved down our throats as the Next Big Thing); I think they're okay. But I can't for the life of me understand why people are actually excited about them and putting them on Top Ten lists. Is it because they rip off the Stooges and Television and no one else has been ripping off the Stooges and Television lately? I really don't get it. Sure, I'd rather listen to them than to most of the other stuff on the radio and MTV, but I'd rather listen to the White Stripes instead. Hey, good luck to them, but... ah, what do I know.

sebastianv50 01-09-02 03:41 PM

They are pretty good. Last night is a good song. Their debut cd has been selling a ton of copies too.

Yancey 01-09-02 03:43 PM

Originally posted by sebastianv50
They are pretty good. Last night is a good song. Their debut cd has been selling a ton of copies too.
About 200,000 copies so far. Not bad for a debut album, but with all the press and airplay it should be a lot higher.

DodgingCars 01-09-02 04:24 PM

Re: Re: Anyone like The Strokes?

Originally posted by dork

:jawdrop:

I'd rather listen to them than to most of the other stuff on the radio and MTV, but I'd rather listen to the White Stripes instead. Hey, good luck to them, but... ah, what do I know.

See.. I saw some reviewers who didn't like the Strokes on Amazon make mention of White Stripes. I listened to some of their songs.. and I thought they were awful. But, maybe I just like my music a little more polished than that.

DodgingCars 01-09-02 04:27 PM

Also.. I don't mind when bands have a style or sound that isn't completely original.

Old Swingin' Utters reminds me a lot of The Clash and Stiff Little Fingers (their new stuff is a lot more original with their blend of country)... but they're still great in my opinion.

And, Flogging Molly.. simply one of the best live bands I've ever seen owes a lot of their sound to the Pogues, but they're still an awesome band in my opinion.

dork 01-09-02 04:40 PM

Re: Re: Re: Anyone like The Strokes?

See.. I saw some reviewers who didn't like the Strokes on Amazon make mention of White Stripes. I listened to some of their songs.. and I thought they were awful. But, maybe I just like my music a little more polished than that.

Sorry to hear that. Lack of originality isn't the only reason I didn't much care for the Strokes, since I listen to plenty of derivative stuff. Everything can be traced back to something else; I just thought that maybe some critics found them refreshing because they are ripping off someone different from everyone else. Anyway, maybe I'll give them another chance at some point.

But how can anyone listen to "You're Pretty Good Looking" or "I'm Finding It Harder to Be a Gentleman" and not love the band that sings them?

martin q. blank 01-09-02 05:24 PM

Yes. In fact, I like them a lot. Believe it or not, dork, there are quite a few people who have never heard of them.

It's not the best record ever, but I think it's pretty good. I think a lot of the reviews of Is This It just want to attack the band because of the hype, which I think is a tiresome tactic.

I don't know if they're the "Saviors of Rock 'n' Roll," but I certainly wouldn't mind if they were. I mean, who would you rather have, them, or Staind?

Btw, The White Stripes are great, too. Nuggets-esque, which is always a good thing.

funstan 01-09-02 07:19 PM

Great album, really cant see them in putting out great music for years to come though.

ChrisKnudsen 01-10-02 04:23 AM

Originally posted by martin q. blank
Yes. In fact, I like them a lot. Believe it or not, dork, there are quite a few people who have never heard of them.

It's not the best record ever, but I think it's pretty good. I think a lot of the reviews of Is This It just want to attack the band because of the hype, which I think is a tiresome tactic.

I don't know if they're the "Saviors of Rock 'n' Roll," but I certainly wouldn't mind if they were. I mean, who would you rather have, them, or Staind?

Btw, The White Stripes are great, too. Nuggets-esque, which is always a good thing.

Right on brother, Staind *****ing sucks. I can't stand them.

I really dig this album and I recomend you get it. I met the drummer and the two guitarists. I got my picture taken with them. Hoorayyy!!!!!!!!!!!! They rock live, also. I got the beer bottle that the lead singer poured all over the audience with.

I think some bands might just not want to sound like other bands but maybe they just simply just want to rock. What is wrong with that?

BTW, White Stripes are really cool so check them out too.