Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

I swear I was at a Spinal Tap show...

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-02, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple days ago I saw the "Trans Siberian Orchestra" perform. Now, not everything that happened was their fault, but it sure felt like a Spinal Tap show. Here's a few things that happened:

1) In the second song, they had some sort of feedback thing going on, so a roadie came out to the middle of the stage, and was working on equipment with the director of the "orchestra" to try and fix it. It just reminded me of when the bass player couldn't get out of his plastic bubble in Spinal Tap.

2) At the start of the fourth song, TSO's smoke machine was really pumping it out (the smoke was fully engulfing the first three rows...), and the fire alarms began to go off. At first, no one really noticed because the loud siren sounded like it belonged in the song, but when they finished and the strobes were still going off, people began to notice. This continued to happen through the night, and was a bit distracting during what was supposed to be nice and quiet songs.

3) During one song, this female singer started one of those "I can hold this note forever while adding vibrato to the sound" things, finished her note, looked around, and began again. She again finished her note, this time saying "well?!". A few people cheered. She did it again, and toward the end, a very loud POP came from her speaker (I don't know what they're really called, the thing that is on the floor in front of her). She got a bit more applause when she finished.

4) The guitarist who kept saying things between songs hadn't really informed the spotlight guy very well. FOUR times he had to request the spotlight, and once, it was put on the wrong person. After the fourth time requesting it, he sort of flippantly said "Orlando" (as in that's typical behavior for an Orlandoian). He quickly realized his mistake when a few groans and boos began to come from the crowd.

Just a very odd night all together.
Old 01-02-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol
Old 01-02-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

please tell me that this was early in the tour. sometimes it takes awhile to iron out the little details....
Old 01-02-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That reminds me of when my group joined a tour and we were the "rookies" on the tour and the group we were opening for decided to haze us. They turned off all our computers, samplers, and de-tuned all our instruments(including the drum heads!). We went to play the first song and it was a disaster. We had to stop and set everything up again and it took like 30 minutes. The croud was out for blood.
Old 01-02-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by edclem
please tell me that this was early in the tour. sometimes it takes awhile to iron out the little details....
This was their next to next to last show on the tour.
Old 01-02-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by cartman

This was their next to next to last show on the tour.
so much for that theory
Old 01-03-02, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: I swear I was at a Spinal Tap show...

Originally posted by cartman
(I don't know what they're really called, the thing that is on the floor in front of her).
That thing is known as a "monitor"
Old 01-03-02, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This level of professionalism from a side-project from the leader of Savatage?

Was the monitor turned up to 11?
Old 01-03-02, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by grunter
This level of professionalism from a side-project from the leader of Savatage?
I wouldn't call the producer the leader of the band.
Old 01-06-02, 02:24 PM
Banned

i thought this band would kik ass, but i dl alot of their songs, i really dont think they are to good! but u know to each his own!! besides, no matter how bad or good a band is, if that were to happen i would be laughing for a very long time!! that sounds like it wa sone of those things that juts pisses u off while ur tehre cuz u have to wait and wait and wait but after its over yur liek "dude, that was fu**in hilarious"!!!
Old 01-07-02, 02:24 AM

Hehe, that's great. All you needed was for them to say, "Goodbye Springton, there will be no encore!"