Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Big Country's Stuart Adamson Gone

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-18-01, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who haven't heard, Big Country singer and guitarist Stuart Adamson was found dead in a hotel in Hawaii this past Sunday, apparently after comitting suicide---asphyxiation from hanging. There weren't many details released, but he had just split up with his wife, and I seem to recall that he had an ongoing battle with alcohol.

This was really depressing to me. Growing up in the early 80's, that wave of music consisting of U2, Big Country, Simple Minds, Alarm and the Waterboys was (and is) hugely inspirational to me. I still say Big Country's Steeltown is one of the best albums of the 80's.

Not to imply that some suicides are better than others, but with some of the super-hedonistic, wild-lifestyle rock stars with harsh, jaded songs and lyrics, well, their early demise might be a little more expected. I just find it very sad that someone like Stuart Adamson, who expressed such uplifting and inspiring music, could have reached such a point of discouragement.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 12-18-01 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-18-01, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumbass. I hate when people kill themselves. Big Country was a good band. I love Fields of Fire.
Old 12-18-01, 11:55 PM

That is very sad. I always found their music inspiring. In my opinion they were one band that always stayed true to their ideals and always had the attitude that no matter what crap you were dealt you could rise above it. I find it sad that Stuart couldn't believe in it himself.
Old 12-19-01, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw them a couple of times, on their own and when the opened for Bowie. It's very sad that anyone should so under value a life.
Old 12-19-01, 02:15 PM

Sad,

I also liked "Fields of Fire".

I still remember the very first time I ever heard "In a Big Country" and was really blown away (in Junior High).