Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Eat World, yea or nay....

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-01, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have on opinion on the album?
See them live with Weezer?
Any info at all? I like the single but don't know if I want to spend the $$$ on the CD.
mini
Old 12-03-01, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you like Weezer and like the single you should get it. It's not something I like, but I think you may.
Old 12-03-01, 05:59 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 108 Likes on 97 Posts
Don't know a lot about them but the video rubs me the wrong way a bit.

Snippet from NME.com Review of a live performance.

It's a heavily accomplished affair, but as the intelligent agglomerations of thirty years of hardcore guitar invention hurtle by, rendered as hummable, thoughtful, bittersweet insights, its hard not to wish for at least a quick burst of madness, obscenity, nudity, drunkeness, stage- diving or unlistenable genius. Anything to send up a charisma rocket. Jimmy Eat World should reap significant praise for penning a single 'Salt Sweat Sugar' (formerly 'Bleed America' pre Sept 11) after a close reading of one Howard Zins' history of labour struggle in the US. Yet an hour of being clobbered by their wall of decency, wisdom and Foo Fighters riffs has the bizarre effect of making the puerile, clueless dumbo-punk posturing of your Blink 182s and Sum 41s seem like a welcome prospect.

For all their many virtues, despite the feedback storm which Rick Burch signs off with, the Jimmys seem less like world eaters, and more like nibblers. That ol' summit of rock is rarely conquered by wise words and good table manners.
Old 12-03-01, 06:00 PM

Jimmy Eat World is not my cup of tea, but they seemed like nice guys when I met them a few years back. If you enjoy the single, go for it.
Old 12-03-01, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats the single out right now?
Old 12-03-01, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The current single is "THE MIDDLE" and the video is really great. the previous single was the title track "Bleed American".

The album is terrific. It is the best record of the year IMO...and the latest weezer record follows it...if you like the single, or if you like weezer, you should really enjoy this Jimmy Eat World cd... go out and get it...

Here in Ontario, you can get this disc for an average price of like $11.99, so it's a real steal and well worth getting. Although they aren't coming to Toronto with Weezer (cause weezer were here earlier in the year), Jimmy Eat World are coming by themselves, for a sold out show, that I am going to in two weeks, and it should be really great...

IF YOU LIKE THE SINGLE, BUY THE ALBUM...it is AMAZING.

JIMMY EAT WORLD....YEA!

MATT
Old 12-03-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are plenty of naysayers on this board, but I think it's a great album.

What would the naysayer tell you? Well they'd claim it's mediocre and overdone, however, I would beg to differ.

I think that all the songs are full of true emotions and are done in catchy and beautiful ways. The album has really spoken to me in my life right now. That is the prupose of music, in my eyes. If an album speaks to you who cares if it isn't complex or overly creative. I think it actually is done creatively as it's arranged in interesting ways. The counter harmonies, the time signature changes, and there is even a bit of dissonance which suggests that they are better muscians that many give them credit for.

Really, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the album. You should be able to find it from 9 to 11 dollars at Best Buy. Please go ahead and treat yourself.
Old 12-03-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This album is good but I prefer their previous effort "Clarity". That is a great album.
Old 12-04-01, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if you want to listen to a bunch of whiny, sweater-wearing "sensitive" guys singing about angels and lunchboxes with hearts on them, then by all means, pick up this record. The actual music isn't that interesting, the lyrics are juvenile and cliche-ridden....

but if you want good, ocassionally rocking pop music, I'll recommend you buy these instead:

-Superdrag "Regretfully Yours"
-the Posies "Frosting on the Beater"
-XTC "Wasp Star"
Old 12-04-01, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Oliver Clothesoff

-Superdrag "Regretfully Yours"

Can't argue with that album. Very strong from start to finish.
Old 12-04-01, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The actual music isn't that interesting
I suggest you take a music theory class or two. The writing is actually pretty creative. I could point out five or six things they do that no other band played regularly on the radio does, yet they still manage to get played.
Old 12-04-01, 10:50 AM

Originally posted by Alyoshka

I suggest you take a music theory class or two. The writing is actually pretty creative. I could point out five or six things they do that no other band played regularly on the radio does, yet they still manage to get played.
You may very well be right that they are creative, but you know better than to say a band is good just because they do things differently than other bands on the radio. That's about as vapid as a comparison can get!

JEW are fine for their genre. But I personally find the genre boring.
Old 12-04-01, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Creative? Please.

It's all power chords and very simple harmonies. Don't think that JEW are any different than Sum 41 or Blink 182 or the Get up Kids.

There's a time and place for this kind of pop punk when it's done well, but I've yet to be impressed by anything from any of these bands.
Old 12-04-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Creative? Please.

It's all power chords and very simple harmonies. Don't think that JEW are any different than Sum 41 or Blink 182 or the Get up Kids.

There's a time and place for this kind of pop punk when it's done well, but I've yet to be impressed by anything from any of these bands.
Yet you suggest the Posies? Don't get me wrong I normally respect your musical opinions, not to be trite, but you must be dreaming all day
Old 12-04-01, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Go buy it Minifigg!

Even if the rest of the CD sucks, just having a copy of Track 2, "A Praise Chorus" is worth the $15!

I saw them with weezer a few weeks ago. Also saw them open for Blink 182 back in August.
Old 12-05-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually picked up the album today because of you guys. I only got through 4 songs, and I like the first 4 songs. They are pretty good.
Old 12-05-01, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Crimson & Clover.. over.. and overrrrrrrr

Love it!
Old 12-05-01, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DTSC

Love it!
damnit! You just got the tune running through my head . Oh well, it's a good one to have. why did we ever have to meet? Jumpstart my rock and roll fantasies.
Old 12-05-01, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Have you guys heard the demos for this CD? Some of the tracks sound a bit different and that whole "crimson and clover" chorus is replaced with something else.
Old 12-05-01, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DTSC

Love it!
That is definitely the most annoying part of any track on that album.... There are better ways to say "Hi, we're sensitive" than that. And don't even get me started on that atonal off-key singing bastard from the Promise Ring.
Old 12-05-01, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is definitely the most annoying part of any track on that album.... There are better ways to say "Hi, we're sensitive" than that. And don't even get me started on that atonal off-key singing bastard from the Promise Ring.
Well you're definitely entitled to your opinion, as wrong as it may be.

I will have to agree with you on the Promise Ring comment though. I've grown to hate that band.
Old 12-05-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I can sum this up with one of the greatest songs ever written:
"I've got a lot of thoughts. I've got a lot of plans. I've lost a lot of sleep trying to understand.

I can dream all day (x4)

In a blacked room. staring into space. underneath a thousand blankets. just to find a place. Where everything is reachable. Imagining is safe. I tried to make it so I didn't even know.

I can dream all day (x5)

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. (x2)

I dreamt I was awake. My mouth is colored grey. As the world revolved around me. I should only say.

I could dream all day (x 9 to 11, I got bored)"
So, where'd they learn to write like that?
Old 12-06-01, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

heh...

looks like we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one fellas....

I don't have the energy to think of something witty today....
Old 12-06-01, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So, where'd they learn to write like that?
Jewel, that's where.
Old 12-09-01, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

!

Last edited by SnoopDogg; 12-17-01 at 11:29 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.