Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Portable MP3 player recommendations?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-01, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey everyone, I need your help here....

I'm researching portable MP3 players and would like your thoughts/recommendations.

Based upon my preliminary research, I don't want a MP3 CD player, but one that has a hardrive memory (or whatever it's called) and maybe something with expandable/upgradeable memory. Since I will be using it mostly at the gym, I'm thinking 128 MB of memory should be sufficient since I typically work out for about 2 hours at a time. Of course, you never know what you'll need in the future, so expandable memory would be nice.

I was initially looking at the Sonicblue Rio 800. At first, it sounded like everything I wanted, but after reading lots of customer reviews, I definitely don't think I will be getting it. A lot of people said that they received multiple defective units and some people said that theirs crapped out after a couple months of use (due to the rechargeable batteries, I think).

I also looked at the Sony NW-MS9. I love Sony. Pretty much every piece of electronic equipment in my house is Sony. The NW-MS9 looks real nice and would probably be really convenient for gym use. I haven't done as much research on it, but I'm gonna start....

So any other suggestions? Basically, this is what I want:
  • Compact (remember, I'm gonna be using this at the gym...so something that clips onto the waistband of my shorts or something would be great
  • 128 MB of memory (with expansion capabilities)...I guess 64 MB of memory with expansion capabilities might work too...if I get a 128 MB memory card or whatever
  • After reading the bad reviews on the Rio 800 and its rechargeable batteries, I think I'd prefer something that uses AA or AAA batteries...I'm willing to go with rechargeable as long as it's reliable, however
  • Price is not really a factor
  • Crappy headphones don't really matter to me...I can purchase better ones
  • I don't know anything about it, but since the WMA format will allow you to hold more songs than MP3 format, having WMA capabilities sounds great

Oh yeah, last thing. I don't have a Mac, so I guess the iPod is not a consideration.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-30-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh yeah, what do you guys think about the Compaq iPaq?

Old 11-30-01, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check the reviews on mp3.com, they have a bunch. I'm personally considering the MPIO DMG.
Old 11-30-01, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
Check the reviews on mp3.com, they have a bunch. I'm personally considering the MPIO DMG.
Hey Aghama, THANK YOU! I had never heard of the MPIO-DMG prior to you mentioning it, but I've have been extremely impressed with what I have read of it so far....it's definitely #1 on my list now with the Compaq iPaq PA-2 at #2.

Much props to Aghama!

Old 11-30-01, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Barring any unforseen circumstances, I think I'll be ordering the MPIO-DMG this weekend....and a 128 MB SmartMedia Card. Of course, this will be considered my Christmas present from my girlfriend....I do all the work and she gets all the credit....still, not a bad trade-off in this case! Thanks again, Aghama!

Old 12-12-01, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where can we buy this MPIO DMG for the best price ?

thanks - Carl
Old 12-12-01, 08:22 PM

I would have recommended...

Opps, sorry I did not see your note about iPod not being a choice. Oh well, I figured I'd leave this here just in case ther are any mac users out there.

Apples iPod.

10 hour battery life= play till your muscles are ripped
5 gig hard drive = 1,000+ songs
firewire connection = download an entire cd in just 10 secs
6.5 ounces= very light

But, as it seems you are a PC user, so no dice.

modiman

Last edited by modiman; 12-12-01 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-13-01, 11:11 AM

Where can we buy this MPIO DMG for the best price ?
Old 12-24-01, 06:51 PM

***bump***
Old 12-27-01, 12:58 PM

Check out Kanguru. They have portable HD's that are MP3 players and are also a backup media as well. They have 3.5 (up to 100gigs) and 2.5 drives. Firewire/USB/Parallel/PCMCIA attachments as well.

Check 'em out.