Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Prince, what's the big deal?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Prince, what's the big deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Prince, what's the big deal?

From Dirty Mind - Parade imo the man was an innovater, & while he rearely shows it anymore, He is a very goof guitarist.
Old 07-25-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
The Beatles released all of their albums between 1963 and 1970, seven years. Prince released Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Around The World In A Day, Parade, and Sign O' The Times from 1980 to 1987. He also recorded at least two other complete albums in that time that were never released and are both just as good as the stuff he did release. And at the same time he was producing albums and writing songs for a series of hit artists. So whatever you may think of his catalog as a whole, he did have a run that rivaled The Beatles.
Re the 2 unreleased: Is Chaos & Disorder one of them? & totally curious what the other is/was & if they're "around" to be heard.
Old 07-25-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The Beatles released all of their albums between 1963 and 1970, seven years. Prince released Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, Purple Rain, Around The World In A Day, Parade, and Sign O' The Times from 1980 to 1987. He also recorded at least two other complete albums in that time that were never released and are both just as good as the stuff he did release. And at the same time he was producing albums and writing songs for a series of hit artists. So whatever you may think of his catalog as a whole, he did have a run that rivaled The Beatles.
Sorry I just don't agree that those albums rival the Beatles run. Other than Purple Rain, each of those albums had maybe 1 or 2 songs that had an effect on the public consciousness. From Rubber soul to Abbey road, almost every song on their albums are well known classics that are easily recognizable. We're talking 50+ songs vs maybe 10 in Prince's case.
Old 07-25-11, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But then you're comparing Prince, who is great, to what many people call the greatest band of all time. Just because he isn't on their level in that one category, doesn't mean he isn't in that conversation to me. How many music acts could claim to have multiple albums where most songs are well known like that of the Beatles?
Old 07-25-11, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
Re the 2 unreleased: Is Chaos & Disorder one of them? & totally curious what the other is/was & if they're "around" to be heard.
If he's referring to Chaos & Disorder, then the other has to be Old Friends 4 Sale, both of which were basically just "vault" compilations intended to fulfill Prince's contract with WB. He could also be referring to the Crystal Ball project, though.
Old 07-25-11, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's a gay primadonna. What's not to like about him?
Old 07-25-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Starlover
As a pop songwriter, no one really compares to Prince. His guitar playing is not what makes him a big deal, Prince is not really a rock artist at all. Plus most of his recordings are solo, meaning he wrote and performed every piece of music on them.

Originally Posted by cungar
Elvis Costello
Paul McCartney
Sly Stone
Randy Newman
Elton John/Bernie Taupin
Smokey Robinson,
Holland Dozier Doszier
Carole King
Burt Bacharach & Hal David
Stevie Wonder

and many more I can't think of right now.
If Starlover returns from his 7 year absence he is going to feel the burn on that one!
Old 07-25-11, 08:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
One was Camille, an album he intended to release under that name with the vocals sped up to see if people could tell it was him (the song If I Was Your Girlfriend came from those sessions). The other was Dream Factory, which was his most collaborative effort with Wendy and Lisa. When their partnership soured he scrapped the album and released Sign O' The Times instead.

And yes, Sign O' The Times was also tentatively set to be a triple album called Crystal Ball at one point.

Sorry I just don't agree that those albums rival the Beatles run. Other than Purple Rain, each of those albums had maybe 1 or 2 songs that had an effect on the public consciousness. From Rubber soul to Abbey road, almost every song on their albums are well known classics that are easily recognizable. We're talking 50+ songs vs maybe 10 in Prince's case.
As someone else said, almost every musical career pales in comparison to The Beatles. Even Bob Dylan, who was as lauded as The Beatles, doesn't have as many songs lodged in the public consciousness as The Beatles do. The Beatles ruled the 60's pretty much unchallenged. It was an incredible cultural zeitgeist that will never be replicated. But to say that any artist who didn't have that level of penetration cannot be a genius is laughable.

And on those albums, we got those songs that I would say are known to the public at large:

When You Were Mine
Controversy
Little Red Corvette
Delirious
Let's Go Crazy
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
Kiss
Sometimes It Snows In April
Sign O' The Times
Ballad of Dorothy Parker
U Got The Look
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Adore

And that's not including b-sides and singles like Erotic City or songs he wrote for other artists like Manic Monday, Nothing Compares 2 U, etc.

He was easily one of the most important artists of the 80's, has written an amazing range of songs in a diverse group of styles, has produced hit albums for others, written hit songs for others, half the time plays all the instruments on an album himself, and plays some of the meanest guitar I've ever seen. You may not think his music is as good as The Beatles, but the man is a musical genius.

Or, to put it another way, how many songs did any of The Beatles have in their solo careers that are as well remembered as when they were a group? Prince did most of this by himself, sometimes all by himself. Credit where credit is due, come on.
Old 07-25-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Prince has never really been my thing. I get that he's talented and I respect him but I wouldn't listen to his music by choice. To me he's always felt like an artist who is too much a product of his time and I just have a hard time getting into his music. Some artists such as Elvis, The Beatles, Sinatra, Springsteen, Dylan, and a bunch more just have a wide appeal that stretches for generations and it doesn't matter what era they're from will always have some level of popularity, I guess personally I don't see Prince as being on that level. He seems like an artist who you liked if you grew up with his stuff but doesn't translate well in the modern times. I might be wrong but that's my opinion.
Old 07-25-11, 09:27 PM
Banned by request

Well, he just did 21 sold out shows in Los Angeles to people of all ages, races, creeds, etc., so I'd say he's got a pretty wide appeal.

But then again you couldn't pay me to see Springsteen in concert.
Old 07-25-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, he just did 21 sold out shows in Los Angeles to people of all ages, races, creeds, etc., so I'd say he's got a pretty wide appeal.

Well but the thing with Prince is I think that the fans that he has are pretty hardcore and loyal. So it's not all that surprising to me that he played 21 shows that were sold out. I could be wrong but I just don't see him having that wide of appeal.
Old 07-25-11, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

But again my point is that the shows (at least the two I went to) had people crossing all demographics. And while most people I know saw him twice during this run, that still wouldn't account for 21 separate shows.

I believe his latest tour is one of, if not the highest grossing tour of the year. At what point does this translate to not much wide appeal?
Old 07-25-11, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough I guess I wasn't aware of that. I guess I should re-phrase and say I don't think he has that much appeal to the younger generation of 20-30 somethings. I'd be pretty willing to bet that a lot of people in that age group know who he is but most probably don't really care.

Last edited by Mike86; 07-25-11 at 10:31 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To expound on a previous point, Prince was involved with so many other bands and artists that he really was at a genius level that has yet to be touched. The Time/Morris Day/Jesse Johnson, Sheena Easton, Maserati, The Bangles, Vanity 6/Apollonia, Stevie Nicks, Sheila E., Kenny Rogers! and that's just off the top of my head.

Last edited by gmanca; 07-25-11 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And on those albums, we got those songs that I would say are known to the public at large:

When You Were Mine
Controversy
Little Red Corvette
Delirious
Let's Go Crazy
Darling Nikki
When Doves Cry
I Would Die 4 U
Purple Rain
Raspberry Beret
Pop Life
Kiss
Sometimes It Snows In April
Sign O' The Times
Ballad of Dorothy Parker
U Got The Look
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Adore
Fixed

I was a huge fan back in the '80s, but lost interest when he got all pissy with his label and started releasing crap to piss them off. What little I've heard of his later stuff bores me rather than intrigues. But still, I would never deny that he's a musical prodigy.
Old 07-25-11, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

I know plenty of people who are not big Prince fans who sing along to those songs when they pop up.
Old 07-25-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts

I just have to give a big to this statement.
Old 07-25-11, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never got into him, never understood the appeal and never met anyone in real life who liked his music. And Bruce Springsteen fucking rules. That is all.
Old 07-26-11, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prince is as great an artist as Madonna.

And I hate Madonna.
Old 07-26-11, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

As someone else said, almost every musical career pales in comparison to The Beatles.
I was responding to your comment that he had a run of albums that rivalled the Beatles. Rival means to equal or supass. I would heartily disagree that Prince's run of albums rivals the Beatles.
Old 07-26-11, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Prince was fantastic in the 80's and early to mid-90's. His music post 1995 never did much for me but his "classic" stuff is as awesome today as it was the first time I heard it.
Old 07-26-11, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know plenty of people who are not big Prince fans who sing along to those songs when they pop up.
They may have been local hits in L.A. or something. I'm not exactly a music slouch and I can't recall what any of those I struck out even sound like.
Old 07-26-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a bigger Beatles fan than Prince but I was always the one kid who loved Prince while others called me a *** and said he was gay and his music sucked. I was in 6th grade when I really got into Prince and by 8th Grade he was my favorite artist. I hate seeing the title of 'genius' spread around so haphazardly but Prince is a musical genius. My musical genius list is rather short (Tom Waits, Lennon & McCartney, Prince) but he may be the most deserved one of the group simply because it's just him. Lennon had McCartney, Waits has Brennan for most of his career. Prince flew solo and played everything, made some of the most interesting music of the past 100 years, had a slew of Top 10 Songs and did it all his own way.

One of the best of all time and btw I'm still basically the only person I'm friends with who loves Prince...shoot, my wife won't hardly listen to him either! I think the music can be over some people's heads...hehe
Old 07-26-11, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

I was responding to your comment that he had a run of albums that rivalled the Beatles. Rival means to equal or supass. I would heartily disagree that Prince's run of albums rivals the Beatles.
Agree to disagree. Those are classic albums that I listen to even more frequently than I do The Beatles. And I love The Beatles.
Old 07-26-11, 06:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Starlover
As a pop songwriter, no one really compares to Prince. His guitar playing is not what makes him a big deal, Prince is not really a rock artist at all. Plus most of his recordings are solo, meaning he wrote and performed every piece of music on them.
I agree, but if I was to listen to every Prince song and vote "I LIKE", "DON'T LIKE" I would not like like most of his music. His radio hits are very good.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.