Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

X the band

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-01, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X the band

Are there any fans of the band X out there?
Old 11-22-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I saw them live in '87. They opened for David Bowie on his Glass Spider Tour.

I've always kind of liked them, but I'm not a huge fan.
Old 11-23-01, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

X rocks. Wish I could have seen 'em in '87. Hell, wish I could have seen 'em period.
Old 11-23-01, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very cool band. I enjoy quite a few of their songs, but I don't know much about them.
Old 11-23-01, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
X rocks. Wish I could have seen 'em in '87. Hell, wish I could have seen 'em period.
What do you mean "could have"?

They still play a few shows a year....at least around the L.A. area.
Old 11-23-01, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I just picked up the new "special edition" rerelease of "Los Angeles," it has five bonus tracks on it - used to have this album on vinyl eons ago but it's quite nice to relive it digitally. Great classic punk sound. Extra tracks pretty good too!
Old 11-26-01, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is another band that really helped form how I listen to music. When I was 19 "More Fun in the New World" came out and I was loving that stuff. We played it on the college station and I loved the whole punk rockabilly mix. Later I discovered that wasn't their best album, but it remains a fave. I remember actually seeing them on MTV singing "I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts". Man, what a GREAT song... just thinking about it. I also love the songs "White Girl" and "The World's a Mess It's in My Kiss".

I didn't get to see them until the early 90's. Forgot the name of that '93 album (I think that was the year). Awful recording. But at least they toured and came to Atlanta that year. I really loved what was coming out of LA in the early 80's. The Blasters and some of those Paisley Underground bands.
Old 11-27-01, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

X seems like something I would like based on my love of punk and country, but John and Exene just don't do it for me. I can't explain it.
Old 07-16-05, 10:18 PM

Dying to identify X tune

I have always liked X, and about 2 years ago someone played a mellow, lounge-music-sounding tune by them, with Exene and John singing an amazing harmony. I never found out the name of the song, and I can't find it on any of their albums, either. Anyone have an idea?
Old 07-16-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tesco Vee
I have always liked X, and about 2 years ago someone played a mellow, lounge-music-sounding tune by them, with Exene and John singing an amazing harmony. I never found out the name of the song, and I can't find it on any of their albums, either. Anyone have an idea?
"I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts"?
Old 07-17-05, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my favorite bands from that era of music. I had to get some repair work done on my amp a few months back and gave Billy Zoom a call. For those who don't know, he has had his own amp repair shop in Orange County for several years now. He courts such clientele as Brian Setzer and Mike Ness. I was bold enough to take my copy of "Los Angeles" for him to sign when I picked up my amp. Top notch repair work and a great guy. He epitomizes "cool".
Old 07-17-05, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jippy
One of my favorite bands from that era of music. I had to get some repair work done on my amp a few months back and gave Billy Zoom a call. For those who don't know, he has had his own amp repair shop in Orange County for several years now.
Do tell more! Is this a little shop or some big, clean, glossy deal with a showroom and all? I'm just curious how a guitar hero conducts his public business dealings
Old 07-17-05, 10:45 AM

X just released "Live in Los Angeles" a few months ago (available on CD or DVD). It's from a recent show and they still sound great. It makes for a good sampler for newbies since it includes most of their best material.
Old 07-17-05, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
Great band. My favorite album of theirs is "Wild Gift."
Old 07-17-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Do tell more! Is this a little shop or some big, clean, glossy deal with a showroom and all? I'm just curious how a guitar hero conducts his public business dealings
No, it's very low key. His shop is in and industrial business sector of Orange. If you didn't know who he was, you'd think it was a car repair shop. Nonetheless, the guy knows his stuff and my wife and I joke occasionally that Billy Zoom called my house.
Old 07-17-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Being in college in the mid/late 80's, and being a huge fan of all kinds of alternative/college music, I somehow missed X during their heyday. I had bought Ain't Love Grand, which I thought was OK, but it never inspired me to go to their back catalog. About 4 or 5 years ago I happened to pick up their compilation Beyond and Back, and with the scope of that I came to appreciate their sheer genius, and went back to all their previous releases. They really imbued punk rock with a folky, rootsy Americana like no other band, IMO. I honestly think they're the best American band of the last 25 years. I was fortunate enough to see them in Boston a couple years ago, and they sounded fantastic live. I only had one gripe---if they're all healthy, getting along well enough to tour, and able to play as well as ever---why the hell aren't they writing new songs and putting out new albums??!! Oh well, great band. I'm sure most of you fans know this, but I thought it was kind of strange to find out that Viggo Mortensen was married to Exene for quite a while.

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 07-17-05 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-17-05, 09:14 PM

Love X..
Speaking of older bands that more people should listen to: anyone like Gang of Four?
Old 07-17-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dfriedland
Love X..
Speaking of older bands that more people should listen to: anyone like Gang of Four?
Love Go4. Saw them at Coachella this year and they still sound pretty good.

FYI, Rhino just re-released Entertainment! with extra tracks.
Old 07-18-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dfriedland
Love X..

I like X quite a bit and love the Gang of Four.

Saw them around 1984 and then during their comeback around 1992? Had a drink with the guys after the show and they were very nice.

Several new bands are getting the GoF/XTC influence rap.

Dogs Die In Hot Cars and the Futureheads are two of them worth hearing.
Old 07-18-05, 07:15 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I love X.
Old 07-18-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I only had one gripe---if they're all healthy, getting along well enough to tour, and able to play as well as ever---why the hell aren't they writing new songs and putting out new albums??!!
Good question. Maybe it was because their last studio album ("Hey Zeus!") was putrid.

I'm sure most of you fans know this, but I thought it was kind of strange to find out that Viggo Mortensen was married to Exene for quite a while.
Never heard this before. Doubt I will be more surprised about anything else I hear all year!
Old 07-18-05, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.viggochronicles.com/Biography/

"In 1987, during the shooting of the underground independent movie “Salvation”, he met and married Exene Cervenka, lead singer in the punk band “X”. The year after, their son Henry was born. And they moved to Idaho, to raise their son out of Exene’s fame. They lived there till 1996/97 when they divorced. Both moved back to Los Angeles, only a few houses away from each other. They have shared custody for Henry. When Exene is out touring, Henry stays with Viggo. And when Viggo is out shooting a movie, Henry stays with Exene."

----------

How did I never hear about this? Wow. Cool.
Old 07-18-05, 09:01 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Never heard this before. Doubt I will be more surprised about anything else I hear all year!
Don't feel bad. I only found out last year...
Old 07-18-05, 09:11 AM
Cool New Member

Love X,have seen them close to 20 times since 1981....The lounge sounding song may be from the the UNCLOGGED record which featured stripped down vesions of thier songs,many of which featured drummer dj on vibes.

A must have for any X fan is the recently released dvd THE UNHEARD MUSIC,imho the best music documentry EVER.

FYI: off shoot band THE KNITTERS with EXENE,JOHN,DJ,DAVE ALVIN & BILLY RAE BARTEL have a new rec out and a cross country tour in the works as well.info here..........

....They will be on the letterman show aug 12

http://www.theknitters.net/

dave from jersey
Old 07-24-05, 12:25 AM

Yeah, that's it. How embarrassing; I had the damn track the whole time on "Make the Music Go Bang", and somehow I didn't even realize it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.