Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Buying used CDs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-01, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying used CDs

Hey all,

I know everybody's stance on burning CDs from friends. I have been doing this for a long time and have finally realized this is not a good thing to do at all since I'm screwing the artists over big time every time I spin the disc. So I'm going to chuke out all my burnt CDs and obtain them the right way.

Looking over my collection I stop and realize that a good deal of them were bought used. Now I'm starting to think that buying them used is almost as bad as burning them from a friend only I spend money if I buy them used. Do the artists get any money at all when a used CD is bought? Do music stores have to pay royalites?

What I guess I'm asking is if I should feel guilty whenever I buy used CDs. Any info or opinions you all have would be very grateful. Thank you.

blink
Old 11-16-01, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no the artist does not get anything on a used sale, but I don't think that it's quite the same as burning discs because the disc you buy used was at one time purchased traditionally.

I tend to support new artists by purchasing the disc new, however I don't worry much about supporting artists that have been around a while and are doing well for themselves.

I also burn some discs, but not often, I usually make mixes, and what not. I will not but a cd that has fewer than 4 songs I like, therefore mixes work out well for me.

bottom line, don't feel guilty.
Old 11-18-01, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A high percantage of used CDs are Promos - look for stickers, cut barcodes, drilled holes, etc.

The Artists receive nothing from these discs.

If you really want to help the artists - buy a different one of their CDs at a new retailer...or go see them live...
Old 11-19-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't Garth Brooks go on a crusade a while back protesting the sale of used CD's?
Old 11-19-01, 02:32 PM

Ya, I think his real issue was stores that rack and sell both new and used. He said it hurts the artist because people will buy the used one over a new one.

While I see his point - Garth is also one of those artists who re-released his CDs with like one new track, so I doubt he's lacking in cash right now.

Bottom line - used CDs will never go away. And I can think of countless times where I've taken a chance on an act by buying a used CD and then wound up buying some of their other stuff new because I liked it so much.

M
Old 11-19-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

what I like about used CDs is that one, I pay a price that I think is much closer to fair (Cheapo's here in town occaisionally has skuffed CDs for four and five dollars -- that's a fair price, seven is still kinda high), and two, I can always listen to them before I buy them. I make a lot of impulse buys because I can listen to the CD first.

I don't feel bad about the artist, because the royalty on the CD I'm holding has already been paid, the person who bought it before me paid it.
Old 11-19-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts
Does Sony get a 2nd commission if you buy a walkman at a garage sale?

Don't be silly.
Old 11-19-01, 05:15 PM

if anybody was getting screwed it would be the record companys not the artist. the artist only make like 2-3 off a CD then have to split that among the band. now if you are buying a Live cd/video of a band and not paying to go see them live then you are kinda screwing them. 'cause touring is when the artist make the most money
Old 11-19-01, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Artists dont make 2-3 per CD-

If they have a good contract they are lucky to make $1.00 per CD-most smaller bands may make only 30 to 75 cents per CD.

they make nothing off of promo and radio CD's - and usually make half their royalty rate for CD's bought through record clubs.