DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Various personal opinions on the latest No Doubt album [MERGED] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/158322-various-personal-opinions-latest-no-doubt-album-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

palebluedot 11-12-01 10:48 PM

Holy crap, the new No Doubt album is AWFUL!

Just got done listening to this and it sucks....real, real bad. I am very dissapointed in this effort. I thought groups were supposed to grow and improve musically as they progressed in life, but this is just terrible.

Oh well, just my 2 cents...I'm sure it will be a big hit.

Jason 11-12-01 11:00 PM

I got tired of their breakthrough album very quickly. I liked the singles, I really liked her voice, and thought they had some potential. But the whole thing just seemed really really boring after about a week.

Of course, I don't like Ska in general, so maybe that's the problem.

There are hundreds of copies of Tragic Kingdom on ebay that people can't give away.

big whoppa 11-13-01 04:37 AM

I haven't heard it but I understand No Doubt decided to go into a new direction. The new album is supposed to be more dance-oriented. Bold move actually.

palebluedot 11-13-01 07:51 AM

...yeah but bold in a sucky way.

Daytripper 11-13-01 12:03 PM

Yeah, but is it as bad as the new Garbage? Now THAT one...woof!

Meatpants 11-13-01 04:18 PM

C'mon, you can't start a thread like this if the rest of us can't hear it!!! :)

Jackskeleton 11-13-01 06:43 PM

You folks DON'T want to hear this Crap-tac-ular album. trust me. I got the promo of it and man, i tossed that cd fast. It was terrible.

they wanted to sound pop-ish. and i dunno. it just sounds totally whack! Beware of this crap.

New album sucks. hell the local radio station KROQ can't figure out a single to play cause its terrible.

palebluedot 11-13-01 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
You folks DON'T want to hear this Crap-tac-ular album. trust me. I got the promo of it and man, i tossed that cd fast. It was terrible.

they wanted to sound pop-ish. and i dunno. it just sounds totally whack! Beware of this crap.

New album sucks. hell the local radio station KROQ can't figure out a single to play cause its terrible.

That's just it...it's not even pop-ish. It's...unexplainable...well...other than superfreakinghorrible.

At first I thought I got some kind of a sampler because each song has no more than 10 words in it formed into a hook(chorus) and they just repeat those same words over and over again for the length of the song. I just thought they were showcasing the hook or something, I mean every song is just a chorus repeated several times and then the song is over...well not over because the next song sounds just like the one before it.

There is no substance to this album at all....it's...it's...just horrible. I'm all for doing different stuff and trying to break new ground but this album just digs a hole and buries itself into a landfill of cheesy synthesizer sounds and crappy lyrics.

Thank goodness I downloaded it and didn't waste my time and money to actually buy this.

Burnt Alive 11-14-01 03:15 AM

Re: Holy crap, the new No Doubt album is AWFUL!

Originally posted by palebluedot
Holy crap, the new No Doubt album is AWFUL!
Ummm...aren't they all? :D

milo bloom 11-14-01 02:12 PM

Re: Re: Holy crap, the new No Doubt album is AWFUL!

Originally posted by Burnt Alive

Ummm...aren't they all? :D

Actually I consider their first two albums (before Tragic Kingdom) to be their best, and just good albums period. TK definitely shows some polish, but is still good stuff, but was apparently their peak.

I've heard the new "Hey Baby" song a few times, and I can't help but think that it's not a bad song, it's just not a good song for No Doubt.

Can we really expect an artist not to change though? I like to see growth in a band, but growth along the same lines in any case.

El Scorcho 11-14-01 02:58 PM

That's what happens when Gwen Stefani has been more obsessed with her image on MTV than putting out good music.

I hope she falls off the face of the earth, and soon.

Wormwood 11-14-01 04:39 PM

What about ROS? At first I didn't like it but then it grew on me, now I really like it. In fact, I really like all 4 of their previous albums with TBSC probably their best.

mikehunt 11-14-01 05:05 PM

how many of the people who don't like the new album are fans of no doubt?
just curious, I'm a big fan and would like to get their new album

kornhead 11-14-01 05:53 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
how many of the people who don't like the new album are fans of no doubt?
just curious, I'm a big fan and would like to get their new album

same here
I heard the new "Hey baby" song, it wasnt the greatest song but it wasnt bad IMO.

palebluedot 11-14-01 07:47 PM

I was a big No Doubt fan until this album. If you like music with absolutely no substance and mindless repetative un-inspired lyrics, then this is the album for you.

Like I said, this is quite possibly some of the worst tripe I have heard in a long time but I am sure it will be a big hit.

big whoppa 11-15-01 07:33 AM

Hey Baby is OK. No, I never bought any of their albums but I like Gwen and the singles No Doubt has released.

martin q. blank 11-16-01 07:06 AM

I heard "Hey Baby" a couple days ago--wow, what an awful song. I would say it's the worst song I've heard in quite a long time, but then there's Linkin Park, System of a Down, just about everything else on the radio, etc...

big whoppa 11-16-01 05:17 PM

What is up with that guy (a band member?) running around nude in the Hey Baby video? It's irritating.

tofu 11-16-01 05:54 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
What is up with that guy (a band member?) running around nude in the Hey Baby video? It's irritating.
doesn't he (the drummer) always do that? that guy seems to be obsessed with nudity or thongs.

but as for the question, i've heard the song hey baby too many times. it annoys me. i'm a no doubt fan but this new direction is not good IMO

jjamesc 11-18-01 05:58 AM

Originally posted by Wormwood
In fact, I really like all 4 of their previous albums with TBSC probably their best.
I have all my cd's in those multi-hundred disc changers and I had it on random the other day. No Doubt's "Open the Gate" came on, and it reminded me that I, too, think TBSC is their best CD.

I've seen them live twice, and they never really do any material from it though, unfortunately.

J

milo bloom 11-18-01 03:11 PM

Originally posted by Wormwood
What about ROS? At first I didn't like it but then it grew on me, now I really like it. In fact, I really like all 4 of their previous albums with TBSC probably their best.

A day or so after I posted my thoughts above, I realized I had forgotten to mention Return of/to Saturn. Guess that tells you how much of an impression it made on me.

(Bathwater was good, but that's all I remember from it, TK had several good singles)

jjamesc 11-19-01 12:30 AM

Originally posted by palebluedot

At first I thought I got some kind of a sampler because each song has no more than 10 words in it formed into a hook(chorus) and they just repeat those same words over and over again for the length of the song. I just thought they were showcasing the hook or something, I mean every song is just a chorus repeated several times and then the song is over

OK I downloaded the CD last night, and I think you may be on to something about being a "sampler".

Not only were the songs just repetative, but they also seemed to
start or fade into the song at a point that wouldn't naturally start or fade in.

Why they would make these samples the length of an entire song is beyond me, unless they are trying to mess with the MP3ers. I mean you get the gist of the song without actually having the real thing. Plus, since it's the same length as the 'real' song, the file sizes are about right so it interferes with searches.

At least that's what I'm hoping. I'll check it out at a listening booth before buying to make sure though.

J

Rubix 11-19-01 06:09 AM

well if you use an ftp to dl your stuff youll get an sfv and nfo file and the sfv will check the files for proper size and the nfo will clearly explain if its a sampler or retail/advance/promo etc

god i hate p2p

Electric2k 11-21-01 02:14 PM

Uhhh, listen to this promo again. It's about 20 seconds of the song looped OVER AND OVER. As reference above, didn't anyone notice how the songs both start and end quite abruptly?

mikehunt 12-10-01 05:48 PM

the tracks I've heard so far aren't bad. They're different than previous albums but better that than a stale rehash