DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Any KISS fans here? New Box Set Discussion... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/156343-any-kiss-fans-here-new-box-set-discussion.html)

Spiderbite 11-05-01 08:25 AM

Any KISS fans here? New Box Set Discussion...

Well, I just got my Best Buy advertisement in the paper on Sunday & saw a blurb about pre-ordering the new Kiss box-set. I knew they had always discussed putting one out and they always said that when they put one out it would be a awesome.
Well, it is coming & it is a doozy! 5 cds with tons of demos, unreleased tracks, live cuts, & more. A 200 page booklet with notes by band members on each track (as we all know, we will probably only see Gene & Paul's comments) & even a special limited edition that comes in replica guitar case. Here is the track listing:

TRACK LISTING

DISC 1:
1. Strutter - (previously unreleased, 1973 demo)
2. Deuce - (previously unreleased, 1973 demo)
3. Keep Me Waiting - Wicked Lester (previously unreleased)
4. She - Wicked Lester (previously unreleased)
5. Love Her All I Can - Wicked Lester (previously unreleased)
6. Let Me Know - (previously unreleased, Bell Sound Studios 1973 demo)
7. 100,000 Years - (previously unreleased, Bell Sound Studios 1973 demo)
8. Stop, Look To Listen - (previously unreleased, Paul Stanley 1968 demo)
9. Leeta - (previously unreleased, Gene Simmons 1969 demo)
10. Let Me Go, Rock 'N' Roll - (previously unreleased, Bell Sound Studios 1973 demo)
11. Acrobat - (previously unreleased, live, at The Daisy, 1973)
12. Firehouse - (previously unreleased, Bell Sound Studios 1973 demo)
13. Nothin' To Lose
14. Black Diamond
15. Hotter Than Hell
16. Strange Ways
17. Parasite
18. Goin' Blind
19. Anything For My Baby
20. Ladies In Waiting
21. Rock And Roll All Nite
DISC 2:
1. C'Mon And Love Me - (live)
2. Rock Bottom - (live)
3. Cold Gin - (live)
4. Watchin' You - (live)
5. Doncha Hesitate - (previously unreleased, 1975 demo)
6. Mad Dog - (previously unreleased, demo)
7. God Of Thunder - (previously unreleased, demo)
8. Great Expectations
9. Beth
10. Do You Love Me
11. Bad, Bad Lovin' - (previously unreleased, demo, early version of Calling Dr. Love)
12. Calling Dr. Love
13. Mr. Speed - (previously unreleased, demo)
14. Christine Sixteen
15. Hard Luck Woman
16. Shock Me
17. I Stole Your Love
18. I Want You - (previously unreleased, soundcheck recording)
19. Love Gun - (previously unreleased, demo)
20. Love Is Blind - (previously unreleased, Gene Simmons demo)
DISC 3:
1. Detroit Rock City
2. King Of The Night Time World - (live)
3. Larger Than Life
4. Rocket Ride
5. Tonight You Belong To Me
6. New York Groove
7. Radioactive - (previously unreleased, demo)
8. Don't You Let Me Down
9. I Was Made For Lovin' You
10. Sure Know Something
11. Shandi
12. You're All That I Want, You're All That I Need - (previously unreleased, demo)
13. Talk To Me - (previously unreleased, live, at Parreta Stadium, 1980)
14. World Without Heroes, A
15. Oath, The
16. Nowhere To Run - (previously unreleased)
17. Creatures Of The Night
18. War Machine
19. I Love It Loud
DISC 4:
1. Lick It Up
2. All Hell's Breakin' Loose
3. Heaven's On Fire
4. Get All You Can Take
5. Thrills In The Night
6. Tears Are Falling
7. Uh! All Night
8. Time Traveller - (previously unreleased, Paul Stanley 1986 demo)
9. Hell Or High Water
10. Crazy, Crazy Nights
11. Reason To Live
12. Let's Put The X In Sex
13. Hide Your Heart
14. Ain't That Peculiar - (previously unreleased, Eric Carr 1989 demo)
15. Silver Spoon
16. Forever - (single version)
DISC 5:
1. God Gave Rock 'N' Roll To You II
2. Unholy
3. Domino - (demo)
4. Every Time I Look At You
5. Comin' Home - (live, unplugged)
6. Got To Choose - (live, unplugged)
7. I Still Love You - (live, unplugged)
8. Nothin' To Lose - (live, unplugged)
9. Childhood's End (with coda) - (previously unreleased)
10. I Will Be There
11. Psycho Circus
12. Into The Void
13. Within
14. I Pledge Allegiance To The State Of Rock & Roll
15. Nothing Can Keep Me From You
16. It's My Life - (original version, Psycho Circus outtake)
17. Shout It Out Loud - (live)
18. Rock And Roll All Nite - (previously unreleased)

I do not know how to post a picture but a copy of the guitar case closed is on www.bestbuy.com & a copy of it open is on www.amazon.com . The question is, isit worth $100 bucks more just for the set in the replica guitar case?

So, opinions on everything? Thoughts, additions, deletions...?

Jason 11-05-01 09:20 AM

The case is the only real difference between the sets. The book looks to be the same, even though it's hardcover in the deluxe set.

Seems to be a lot of previously released stuff there. Only 2 Wicked Lester tracks :( The demo's should be cool though.

As much as I enjoy Kiss, I think I'll stick with the standard box.

Any word on the often delayed Alive IV???

bigjim25 11-05-01 03:06 PM

<center>CLICK ON PIC TO ENLARGE!!
Regular BOX SET & Deluxe Limited Edition

<A HREF="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005R72D.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg</A> <A HREF="http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005R72E.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg">http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg</A>

Giantrobo 11-05-01 09:25 PM

I love KISS but I won't be buying this set.

B5Erik 11-06-01 12:57 AM

I'm definitely getting this box set (mostly for the unreleased stuff), but I'm not sure if I'm spending another $80-$100 for the deluxe "guitar case" version (although I really like that concept for a box set box).

Spiderbite 11-06-01 07:50 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I love KISS but I won't be buying this set.
So why is that? Remember, the topic says this is a discussion. :)

I would just like other opinions. From what I have found, the only difference between the 2 sets beside the guitar case is that the book is hardback in the deluxe while the regular version is paperback. You also get a letter from Kiss in the deluxe edition (Xerox away!!).

The deluxe edition would be cool to have but I just think about how many other DVDs & cds I could get with the extra $100. I am leaning toward the regular edition as well.

Jason, I did some searching & I found nothing on why Alive IV has been delayed. The only thing I saw was an info blurb on www.kissonline.com that stated that it has been delayed for an uncertain amount of time. Paul Stanley is quoted as stating that they missed their deadline & are busy doing other things right now...or something like that.

Thanks for the pix BigJim!

Hard to believe that there are only 4 Kiss fans on DVDTalk.
Another quick question...did anyone buy Kisstory II?

adia4625 11-08-01 09:42 AM

Im a KISS fan and wouldnt mind the set. I only have a few CDs and two of them are Greatest Hits CDs. (Greatest KISS and Smashes....). I like their early stuff more. Im happy with what I have.

I did see them on the farewell tour though. They kicked my ASS!!

Giantrobo 11-12-01 06:55 PM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd

So why is that? Remember, the topic says this is a discussion. :)

I would just like other opinions. From what I have found, the only difference between the 2 sets beside the guitar case is that the book is hardback in the deluxe while the regular version is paperback. You also get a letter from Kiss in the deluxe edition (Xerox away!!).

The deluxe edition would be cool to have but I just think about how many other DVDs & cds I could get with the extra $100. I am leaning toward the regular edition as well.

Jason, I did some searching & I found nothing on why Alive IV has been delayed. The only thing I saw was an info blurb on www.kissonline.com that stated that it has been delayed for an uncertain amount of time. Paul Stanley is quoted as stating that they missed their deadline & are busy doing other things right now...or something like that.

Thanks for the pix BigJim!

Hard to believe that there are only 4 Kiss fans on DVDTalk.
Another quick question...did anyone buy Kisstory II?

I don't want to spend money on the same old stuff from KISS just repackaged for the 3rd or 4th time.

I love them....since '79 I've been a fan and will stay a fan a long time but their laziness is really getting to me. But they're retiring so it matters not.

Spiderbite 11-13-01 09:10 AM

Originally posted by Giantrobo

I don't want to spend money on the same old stuff from KISS just repackaged for the 3rd or 4th time.

I love them....since '79 I've been a fan and will stay a fan a long time but their laziness is really getting to me. But they're retiring so it matters not.

I can understand that. But you have to admit that there are quite a bit of demos & unreleased stuff on the box set as well.

I chose to go with the standard boxset b/c I could just not see spending an extra 100 bucks for a lookalike guitar case. But for those who are interested, CDNow has the set for 10% off & you can get a coupon on www.dvdpricesearch.com for an extra 15% off. So you end up with a pretty good deal for 5 cds & the 200 page book. Total was approx $57.35 plus shipping. MSRP is $75. Not bad & I am looked around quite a bit & did not find a better price.

Mutley Hyde 11-13-01 07:49 PM

I bought the remasters that came out a few years back, and I'm a stickler for original releases. Yeah, it looks like there is a lot of nice goodies in this set, so far as live stuff and promo takes and other oddities/rarities... but let me get this straight, they're shuffled in with the studio tracks? No, that sucks.

Well, it sucks for someone who already has the original studio cds. Even so, it still sucks for someone who doesn't have them already. Think about it, this is like a "best of" including rarities. Someone gets this, decides they want the studio cds, well, now they'll be getting ripped because they'll already have some of the studio stuff. Am I even making sense here? It's like they tried to kill two birds with one stone here, and for me, the attempt failed miserably.

They wanted a "best of" collection, which interests new fans as well as appeases fans with a passing interest, and then they also wanted a "rarities" collection to appeal to the hardcore KISS fanatics (here I ask, are there really any KISS fans out there who are not hardcore? I don't know too many fans with only a passing interest... anyway).

And by the way, are the live tracks taken from KISS Alive I, II, and III? If so, that sucks doubly so.

I suppose I may have bit had they at least separated the tracks by disc, keeping all the studio tracks to theirselves, the rarities to theirselves. Writing this really makes me think about the situation and I'm only getting more pissed about it. They should have released the rarities by themselves dammit. Yeah, this pisses me off. I ain't buying it.

Spiderbite 11-14-01 08:15 AM

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I bought the remasters that came out a few years back, and I'm a stickler for original releases. Yeah, it looks like there is a lot of nice goodies in this set, so far as live stuff and promo takes and other oddities/rarities... but let me get this straight, they're shuffled in with the studio tracks? No, that sucks.

Well, it sucks for someone who already has the original studio cds. Even so, it still sucks for someone who doesn't have them already. Think about it, this is like a "best of" including rarities. Someone gets this, decides they want the studio cds, well, now they'll be getting ripped because they'll already have some of the studio stuff. Am I even making sense here? It's like they tried to kill two birds with one stone here, and for me, the attempt failed miserably.

Uh, name a box set released by a major group or artist that doesn't do that. Looking over my box-sets, they all do that with the except of one (the newer Lennon box set)
For example: Eagles, Abba, ELO, Alice in Chains, The old Lennon box-set, Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty, etc.
Why would you expect Kiss to do any different than from the hundreds of box sets that have been produced?

bigjim25 11-17-01 09:45 PM

BEST BUY has 5 CD KISS box set on sale this week!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg or http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg
<small>List Price: <s>$74.97</s> $54.99 on regular version or <s>$195.97</s> $139.99 for deluxe edition.</small>
Again, the first price is LIST price but can be had a little cheaper at most places!;)

Jason 11-18-01 10:45 AM

Originally posted by brianluvdvd

Uh, name a box set released by a major group or artist that doesn't do that. Looking over my box-sets, they all do that with the except of one (the newer Lennon box set)
For example: Eagles, Abba, ELO, Alice in Chains, The old Lennon box-set, Bee Gees, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty, etc.
Why would you expect Kiss to do any different than from the hundreds of box sets that have been produced?

It just seems like the KISS box set has a lot more previously released material than box sets do anymore. When they first started coming out, they were all old material, like Eric Clapton' Crossroads set. Newer sets seem to have a lot more unreleased material. The Doors box set has 1 CD of previously released material and 3 entire CDs of new stuff.

Since there's a lot more material that we know of that isn't in this set (more Wicked Lester, Rock n. Rolls, songs from the import Killers collection, etc.), it's disheartening to see so much 'filler'. How many times do we need to buy the studio version of "Ladies in Waiting"?

BTW, I saw an import CD of "Killers" at Wal-Mart last week for $12.99.

B5Erik 11-21-01 01:53 AM

I'm going to buy the Box Set tomorrow. Probably the regular version (although I'd love to get the deluxe version - I love that guitar case).

I've heard a bit of the original Paul Stanley version of "God Of Thunder" from the box set - MAN, that is SERIOUSLY good! It kills Gene's version!

fsubruce 11-21-01 05:52 AM

The box set is AWESOME! Most of the rarities are good, and the sound quality of the old tracks is much better than on any previous releases, including the 1997 remasters. The booklet is great, 120 pages with tons of rare photos and intelligent liner notes. Essential for all Kiss fans!!

Spiderbite 11-25-01 12:06 AM

Originally posted by fsubruce
The box set is AWESOME! Most of the rarities are good, and the sound quality of the old tracks is much better than on any previous releases, including the 1997 remasters. The booklet is great, 120 pages with tons of rare photos and intelligent liner notes. Essential for all Kiss fans!!
I am so damn jealous. I am still waiting on mine from CDnow. Dummy me figured that if they have something for pre-order, they would order copies to send to folks once the CDs are released.
Well, it is Saturday & I am still waiting for mine!
Looked on the site & it says it is backordered. I ordered my Dirty Harry DVD boxset from them as well & got it the day of release (which was the same day as the KISS boxset!).
You would think that a company that calls themselves "CDNOW" would live up to their name!!!

Should have bought it from Best Buy!

B5Erik 11-25-01 01:37 AM

Well, I got mine.

Actually, my wife got it for me - she wanted to get out of the house so I told her that there were two versions, the standard, and the "guitar case" version. I advised her that the guitar case version was much more expensive and that I was leaning towards the standard version. I told her to get the standard version unless the guitar case was just TOO COOL to pass up.

Apparantly it was.

She got me the deluxe version (at Best Buy). And DAMN! But that's a cool case. Having the book in hardback is nice too. The rarities are worth the price alone to a hardcore fan, but when you add in the case (which cost at least $25 to make) and the hardcover book you've got a great package.

I love Paul's vocal on his original version of "God Of Thunder." I prefer his groove/tempo as well. There are a lot of cool rarities on the box set.

I have never seen a box set that isn't a glorified greatest hits package (well, the Police Box Set included everything they did, but KISS has about 5 times as much material, so that wouldn't be practical), so the balance of rare stuff to hits to album cuts is fine with me.

If you like KISS I highly recommend this set.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-24-09 03:34 AM

Re: Any KISS fans here? New Box Set Discussion...

I am new to KISS but do they have a definitive set with all of their albums in one box set?

Spiderbite 07-24-09 08:04 AM

Woah...now that's a thread bump!

Forgot about CDNow. :lol:

Hokeyboy 07-24-09 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 9593134)
I am new to KISS but do they have a definitive set with all of their albums in one box set?

I would say, if you're new to Kiss, to get the KISS: IKONS set, 4-CDs with a disc devoted to each of the original members. The Box Set is good, but I think Ikons is better for a Kiss newbie.

JeffTheAlpaca 07-25-09 02:07 AM

so there is no master set with all of their studio CDs like the beatles remasters which come out in Sept 2009?

B5Erik 07-25-09 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 9595541)
so there is no master set with all of their studio CDs like the beatles remasters which come out in Sept 2009?

No. KISS has 26 albums, not including the many "Best Of" packages. That would be quite a large, and expensive, set.

Most of their albums were remastered in the 90's (an excellent job of remastering was done, by the way), but they are only available individually (with the exception of the live albums which have been packaged together, and I would consider that a, "Must Have," set if you don't already have those albums).

Applejack 07-25-09 11:21 AM

Not really Kiss, but very funny IMO

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kw5oJoUYTb8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kw5oJoUYTb8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

fsubruce 07-25-09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik (Post 9595585)
Most of their albums were remastered in the 90's (an excellent job of remastering was done, by the way), but they are only available individually.

The 1997 remasters sound OK but they were budget releases with minimal packaging. I'd love to see upgraded versions of everything up through and including Asylum. Bonus tracks, expanded booklets with all the original artwork and photos from the era, detailed liner notes, lyrics, etc. Deluxe 2 CD editions would be a dream come true!

K&AJones 07-26-09 02:05 PM

The only KISS album that's must have is...KISS ALIVE...enough said.