Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Favorite Velvet Underground Album?

Old 11-04-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Favorite Velvet Underground Album?

I would have to say mine is Fully Loaded. I've heard and read before that Velvet Underground & Nico is their best, but I wasn't that impressed with it, myself. Which is your favorite album?
Old 11-04-01, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think the 2 live albums from '74 are the best. Otherwise I would say, Loaded. Loaded is essential Velvet Underground and an essential album for ones collection.
Old 11-12-01, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I had to pick one disc I'd say White Light/White Heat, but my TRULY fave VU possession is the 5-CD box set "Peel Slowly And See" which includes all the Reed era studio albums (anything after that is garbage anyway) and tons of unreleased tracks and demos. Some box sets I'll get and then hardly ever listen to them but I think I know nearly every track on this one by heart, it's a fantastic set!
Old 11-13-01, 02:30 AM

That "Fully Loaded" set is really hard to beat, I'll admit. I'm also a sucker for the packaging, and Rhino rarely lets me down. Their Devo re-issues have been delicious.

Not a big fan of White Light/White Heat, but the s/t album and w/ Nico are also in heavy rotation in my household.

I'm actually a bigger fan of Lou's once he left VU. "Berlin" has got to be one of the greatest pop albums ever made.

F
Old 11-13-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by F For Fake

I'm actually a bigger fan of Lou's once he left VU. "Berlin" has got to be one of the greatest pop albums ever made.

F

You sure about that 'pop' term?

Bob Ezrin said something akin to "now we should take the master tape, put it in a box, put the box in a locked safe, put the safe in a dark closet and never listen to it again" after it was produced.

Of course, I love it.
Old 11-13-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is even tougher than the recent Favorite Beatles Album question. I'm leaning towards White Light/White Heat simply because of Sister Ray - who was my father.
Old 11-13-01, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Sierra Disc
If I had to pick one disc I'd say White Light/White Heat, but my TRULY fave VU possession is the 5-CD box set "Peel Slowly And See" which includes all the Reed era studio albums (anything after that is garbage anyway) and tons of unreleased tracks and demos. Some box sets I'll get and then hardly ever listen to them but I think I know nearly every track on this one by heart, it's a fantastic set!
I've been thinking about picking this up. My local used record store has a copy, but i forget how much they are charging.

I figure that since i don't have any of these on their albums on disc (i used to listen to my brother's cassettes), that it wouldn't be that bad of a purchase.

BTW, I really dig "VU and Nico" album, to answer the question.
Old 11-13-01, 04:35 PM

The Self Titled one...
Old 11-16-01, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...On another note - have any of you picked up the new official VU bootleg 3 CD set, "The Quine Tapes"? I found a sealed copy on eBay the other day for $20 which was more palatable to me than the $30 list price, but I haven't gotten it yet it sounds pretty cool, audio quality a bit dubious but supposedly some really raging live work by the band included (one track is a 38 minute (!!!) version of "Sister Ray"). Anyone here heard it yet?
Old 11-22-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Velvet Underground & Nico-not only their best but one of the best ever recorded.
Old 11-22-01, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a tough one. I love the stuff that John Cale did for the band. The Gift is just so deliciously twisted. Someone will have to refresh my memory...which album was that on? I had them all on vinyl during the late 80s, and never had a chance to get all the albums on CD.

I'm leaning toward Loaded as my favorite, though I really like VU and Nico, too.

The live version of Herion on the Lou Reed Live album is spectacular.
Old 11-24-01, 10:07 PM

This ones really hard when you love them all in there own way, , but my favorites are Loaded and VU....Loaded is more acessible, but the one I keep going back to is VU. Incidently, I prefer the single cd to the original "closet mix" on the Peel Slowly and See box set. It sounds more open and clear yet still retains the intimate feel of the songs.
Old 11-25-01, 11:42 AM

Despite Loaded's accessibility to the more casual listener, it does not provide one with the true sound that has given the VU their legendary status over the years. Loaded is much more pop-oriented, sounding almost as if Lou was trying to score a hit single and get the band on the charts.

White Light/White Heat, however, simply for it's pure unadulterated mayhem, which may seem so wild and pointless at first, but upon numerous listenings can truly be appreciated as a great work, even greater than their first.

kawada
Old 11-26-01, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's cool so many listed "VU" since it was released way after they broke up. That was the first VU album I heard and it will always be my fave. It's a very cool record. I also like "Loaded".
Old 11-27-01, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A coworker got the Quine Tapes yesterday. They're amazing. Dammit. I have to buy them now.
Old 11-27-01, 01:32 PM
Banned

Favorite Velvets? It's gotta be the first one, although my fave song is 'Sister Ray'. Damn this was a great band..
Old 11-27-01, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Aragorn Strider
Favorite Velvets? It's gotta be the first one, although my fave song is 'Sister Ray'. Damn this was a great band..
That's why the Quine tapes CDs are so cool, there's THREE versions of "Sister Ray" on there, the longest clocking at 38 (!!!) minutes. I'm not too into the whole "jam band" sound but hearing the VU take that route on these discs is pretty cool, very ramshackle and propulsive sound to it all. I have to say that the audio quality of these "bootlegs" are better than I expected, too, they're far from perfect but considering their age and that they were basically done by a guy with a handheld mic, they're really pretty good. I'd say these are a must for any serious VU fan.
Old 11-28-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1 White Light/White Heat
2 Velvet Underground with Nico
3 Velvet Underground
4 Loaded
4 Live 1969
6 VU

Honorable Mention: Rock and Roll Animal (great set by Reed, all Velvets material)
Old 06-30-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Depends on the mood. But I usually keep going back to "White Light/White Heat". Has to be cranked loud though...
Old 06-30-02, 08:57 PM

Self-Titled, by a lot. But they are all great.

Get the Quine Tapes. Now. You won't be let down.
Old 06-30-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

VU, I think. It always puts me in a good mood.

I think Velvet Underground and Nico is second, but it depends what mood I'm in.
Old 07-01-02, 12:39 AM

Velvet Underground followed by Loaded (Fully Loaded edition)
Old 07-01-02, 02:08 AM
Banned

White Light/White Heat is just so good that it has to be #1 for me. 'VU' is a very close second though.
Old 07-01-02, 09:20 AM

Self-titled third record. It has two of my favorite songs, "What Goes On" & "Some Kinda Love".

Plus the cover is so inviting. Seems like Lou's about to quip, "Come on, sit down, have a couple of these pills, hang around, check this out."
Old 07-01-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Velvet Underground and Nico

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.