Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Best place to buy DVD-Audios (best price)?

Old 11-01-01, 12:59 PM
Cool New Member

Best place to buy DVD-Audios (best price)?

Hi all!

I have just recently discovered just how amazing the sound of a DVD-Audio is and very much want to expand my collection on that front.

So far, the best place to buy them seems to be dvdplanet, but I was just wondering if anyone has found a better place. They are still pretty hard to find at any B&M stores and when I do find them, they are very expensive.

I sure hope that this new format catches on...the sound is a HUGE leap over regular 2 channel CDs and I would gladly replace all of my CDs if and when they become available in this new format!

The remixes of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and America's "Homecoming" albums are simply amazing. If you're a fan of either band, do yourself a favor and get these discs! Trust me, you haven't heard this music for real until you here them in 5 channel sound...

Cheers,

Jonathan
Old 11-01-01, 03:30 PM
Suspended

If you think DVD-Audio is good, listen to a good SACD. It's a nice improvement from CD.
Old 11-02-01, 08:28 PM
Cool New Member

SACDs

I haven't had the opportunity to hear an SACD yet, although I hear they are also very impressive.

I was annoyed that most of the SACD available are only in 2 channel stereo, but they just started releasing more titles in 5.1 channels recently so I will definitely check those out. I'm just waiting for APEX's SACD/DVD-A combo player to finally be released so I can try both formats at once.

Jonathan
Old 11-03-01, 09:51 AM

You can do a search on "DVD Audio" at www.dvdpricesearch.com and get the best prices on about 200 or so titles.

I agree on "Rumors" but have not listened to "Homecoming" yet. Try www.audiorevolution.com for a few reviews of 5.1 stuff, including DVD-A.

Mike D.
Old 11-03-01, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While you are at it, you might want to check out DTS cds. Steely Dan's Gaucho is incredible and Diana Krall's Love Scenes is amazing too - plus there are plenty of others that are great mixes. DTS cds are all at least 4 channel, most 5.1 and the latest Don Henly and Sheryl Crow are 6.1 if you have a DTS EX decoder.

http://www.dtsentertainment.com/

I find that BestBuy has pretty good prices on DTS cds - a $26 disc at Tower is $19 at BB. You usually find them mixed in with the DVD-A discs in the middle of the DVD section.
Old 11-05-01, 01:27 PM
Cool New Member

DTS CDs

Thanks for the tip on the DTS CDs.

I just picked up my first one...got "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney. Also, very cool and very good sounding. I just bought (through Amazon's used CDs site) Steve Miller's "Fly Like an Eagle" which I am very much looking forward to...

I'll also have to stop by my local Best Buy to see if I can find their DTS selection...I went to Tower over the weekend and their prices are way too high. I don't know how they stay in business these days...

Jonathan
Old 11-06-01, 12:51 AM

Watch out for those used sites - I know that people who have purchased DTS/DVDA/SACD discs through half.com get screwed more often than not. The problem is that when an album has both regular stereo and multi-channel/hi-rez versions, inevitably some dimwit selling his used CD will pick the wrong version on the list when listing it for sale because they don't know that the acronyms SACD or DVDA or DTS actually mean a different product.

So, you do a search on DTS or SACD and you find a ton of items for sale, but you go and order it and what you get is a plain old disc. At least that is what has happened quite a bit with half.com, I don't if Amazon has better discrimination in their system or not.
Old 11-06-01, 12:12 PM
Cool New Member

I got the "Band on the Run" disc from the Amazon used site and I had no problems. It took about 6 days and I got the proper DTS version just as was advertised. I expect to have the Steve Miller CD hopefully by the end of the week or early next week.

So it looks like Amazon is on the up and up with regards to their affiliations with the companies selling the used DTS CDs...
Old 11-06-01, 02:05 PM
Stealth Moderator

we need Columbia House to start carrying DVD-Audios ... or do they already?
Old 11-07-01, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by namja
we need Columbia House to start carrying DVD-Audios ... or do they already?
Good Call!!

I dont think they do though.
Old 01-14-02, 10:08 PM
Cool New Member

Does anyone have a list of 6 channel or 6.1 DVD Audio? Is there any 6 channel DVD Audio available other than 6.1 Don Henly and Sheryl Crow DVD Audios?