DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Best 'NOVELTY' Song ever ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/153942-best-novelty-song-ever.html)

Original Desmond 10-26-01 08:57 PM

Best 'NOVELTY' Song ever ?

like for example the Afroman "Getting high" song or the Bob the Builder song etc

i liked the Chicken Song by spitting image from the mid 80s. Maybe only English dvdtalkers will know that one

what's your favourite ?

milo bloom 10-27-01 12:59 AM

Firstly, I don't think "Because I got High" is a novelty song. If you can hear all the uncensored lyrics, and get past the delivery, it's really a very dark descent into a personal, private hell. A very intense look at the true power drug abuse has, and could probably push a few kids away from using drugs unless they're already in that hell. But of course since it references drugs and uses naughty language*, it will be censored and kept away from the very audience that needs to hear it. God bless America.

*"Remember what the MPAA says, 'Horrific and deplorable violence is okay as long as you don't say any naughty words.'"
Sheila Broflovski
South Park: BLU

That said, Weird Al Yankovic's stuff is of course first on my list, long time fan. Something I've noticed about his work is that the songs that parody the "item of the week" are the ones that age the worst. His original tunes that are less specific, or use a specific yet common theme are the ones that hold up. The Star Wars ones, Yoda and The Saga Begins, are still fun to listen to because, like it or not, Star Wars has become a part of our culture, and those songs can tap into it. Same thing with songs like Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota; what's more common than a long distance car ride with your family on summer vacation to see some ridiculous tourist trap? Or When I was Your Age which seems to be Al's homage to the Monty Python sketch where everyone recalls their increasingly-bad-with-time childhoods?

But Fat? Funny when Bad was big, because it was making fun of Michael Jackson, the greatest thing since sliced bread (at the time) Same thing for Eat It/Beat It. Or how about Jurassic Park? Set to the tune of a song called MacArthur Park. Me neither.

Now, Amish Paradise is an anomaly for some reason. He just managed to get a song that is so damn funny it can't go out of style, even if Gangsta's Paradise is older than yesterday's papers. But Smells Like Nirvana? Amusing then, Kobain even considered it a mark of honor supposedly, but now Nirvana is now in the history books with the Beatles, the Doors, etc, and the parody of the style that made not showering popular just doesn't seem to work anymore.

And of course novelty songs get played to death until you're so sick of them you want to jam icepicks into your eardrums. Am I the only one that remembers "Don't mess with my toot-toot"? I wish I didn't...

Spiderbite 10-27-01 01:03 AM

I have always been partial to "The Chimney Song" by The Bob Rivers Comedy Corp.

Tscott 10-27-01 02:26 AM

Is it all right if I have more than one favorite?:D

If I had to limit myself to 1, I'd have to say 'Li'l Red Riding Hood' by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs would be my fav.

Next would be 'Fish Heads' by Barnes & Barnes.

Then it'd have to be a huge tie for third place:
'I'm the Urban Spaceman' - Bonzo Dog Band
'Every Sperm is Sacred' and 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' - Monty Python
'Dear God' - XTC
'If I had a $1000000' - BNL (even if it's a bit overplayed)
'Punk Rock Girl' - The Dead Milkmen
'Tom's Diner' - DNA featuring Suzanne Vega
'Jesus Built My Hotrod' - Ministry
'Fire Water Burn' - Bloodhound Gang
'Deteriorata' - National Lampoon
'Polka Dot Undies' - Bowser & Blue
'I'm Ugly and I Don't know Why' - Butt Trumpet (anyone know this one?:))
plus:
'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)', 'Particle Man', 'Why Does the Sun Shine', 'Cowtown', 'Shoehorn With Teeth', 'Number Three' & 'Which Describes How You're Feeling' all by TMBG

Did I mention I'm a sucker for a good novelty song?

benedict 10-27-01 04:49 AM

No single favourite but among others, I liked....

.... <i>Quantum Jump</i>'s <b>Lone Ranger</b>.

<Small>Taumatawhakatangihangakoayauo-
tamateaturipukakapikimaungahoro-
nukypokaiwhenuakitanatahu
http://www.ruperthine.com/index/index.htm</small>

kilcher 10-27-01 07:26 AM

How about Don't Worry Be Happy?

pantala 10-27-01 09:48 AM

Bumble Bee Tuna by Mephiskapheles

Groucho 10-27-01 10:05 AM

"Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder"

Jason 10-27-01 10:38 AM

I've always liked Benny Bell. His songs are full of double entendres, and his nasally voice gives them a real smart ass quality. It's old stuff (from the 40's) but still pretty cool.

grunter 10-28-01 11:30 AM

Hello?

"Pacman Fever" by Buckner and Garcia!!

"Got a pocket full of quarters and I'm headin' to the arcade . . ."

Zarathustra999 10-28-01 05:03 PM

"Everything About You" by Ugly Kid Joe

Decker 10-28-01 07:40 PM

My vote WAS "One Week" by Bare Naked Ladies (mainly for the Kurasaua reference), until they made that crappy Mitsubishi commercial with it. How disappointing.
I might vote for that "David Duchuvney" song, as a reminder of the heyday of The X-Files, before it went to hell in season eight.

hotaru_san 10-28-01 08:58 PM

Originally posted by Decker
My vote WAS "One Week" by Bare Naked Ladies (mainly for the Kurasaua reference), until they made that crappy Mitsubishi commercial with it. How disappointing.
I might vote for that "David Duchuvney" song, as a reminder of the heyday of The X-Files, before it went to hell in season eight.

One Week also has a Sailormoon reference ;)

Bree Sharp sings the David Duchuvney song, I like that one, too.:D

Burnt Alive 10-29-01 02:33 AM

Looks like we need to set some kind of definition for the term 'Novelty Song'.

I think "Dear God" by XTC isn't even close to being a novelty song.
When I think of novelty songs, I think of witty, off-the-wall type songs or a song that doesn't make any type of sense. "Dear God" is a very serious song.

AtlDVD 11-01-01 08:53 AM

How about "Monster" by Fred Schneider and The Shake Society..

"There's a monster in my pants and it does a little dance.."

Precious 11-02-01 03:57 AM

I've always liked Telephone Man - Meri Wilson

I also liked Wombling Free - The Wombles

Monster Mash - Bobby Picket and the Crypt kicker 5

Of course The Time Warp - Rocky Horror.....

There are so many.

RaptorsFan 11-02-01 03:11 PM

I was going to finish this post........but then I got high :)

Liver&Onions 11-02-01 05:52 PM

* Who the Fu*k is Alice
* The Rodeo Song
* I wanna hump you - a band called Chixdiggit.

Boyz in the Hood - Dynamite Hack

BDB 11-02-01 09:08 PM

Desmond how could you not select
Rolf harris - waltzing matilda???

Alien Redrum 11-03-01 10:10 AM

Don't know who sings it, but:

Detachable Penis.

-Steve

WhattheFFF 11-03-01 07:50 PM

how about Green Jello: Three Little Pigs

WhattheFFF 11-03-01 07:52 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum

Detachable Penis.

good call steve, somebody figure out who sings it so I can download

Jah-Wren Ryel 11-03-01 07:57 PM

Detachable Penis is damn funny, and very listenable. I really like "King of Spain" by Moxy Fruvous:

"Onec I was the King of Spain
And now I work at the Pizza Pizza"

http://ovitsky.com/yep/spain.html

Drexl 11-03-01 09:16 PM

Originally posted by Alien Redrum

Detachable Penis.

-Steve

The group is King Missle.

My vote goes to, if this song counts, Chuck Berry's only #1 hit-

"My Ding-a-Ling"

Fielding Mellish 11-04-01 09:46 AM

William Shatner by ska band The Scofflaws.

-----

He's got a fine tan shirt
with an emblem on the chest.
All the interstellar girls
all like him the best.

He's captain of the crew
and he knows kung fu.
And he did Joan Collins
back in 1942.

I really like the one
about the future revolution
when he ends all with fighting