Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Today's CDs 10-25-01

Old 10-25-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Today's CDs 10-25-01

The Go - Whatcha Doin'
Ba$$holes - When My Blue Moon Turns Red Again
Knoxville Girls - In a Paper Suit
Groovie Ghoulies - Travels With My Amp

Nothing to get really upset over, but a bit frustrating, the White Stripes have been bumped again by Late Show w/ David Letterman. The morning news today mentioned that U2 will be appearing for the first time on Letterman as a musical act on Monday, October 29th (and it's so special they get to perform 2 songs). The White Stripes, after getting bumped for time because of Cokie Roberts or Nathan Lane going on too long were moved to the 29th (per their website). It seems like U2 was last minute and bad luck for the Stripes.
Old 10-25-01, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a big Nathan Lane fan.

Luke Haines - The Oliver Twist Manifesto
Markus Guentner - In Moll
This Heat - Deceit
Eardrum - Side Effects
Ride - Box Set
Fridge - Happiness
Old 10-25-01, 10:27 AM

I cannot tell you how much I hate U2, and this just furthers that. What a pompous, wannabe messiah Bono is. The world would be better without him and his bloated face.

Roots -- Things Fall Apart
Sex Pistols -- Nevermind the Bollocks
Les Savy Fav -- Rome EP
Velvet Underground -- VU
Thee Headcoats -- Headcoats Down

Hey Sundog --

What White Stripes 7" would you recommend. I know I need to get the Jolene cover, but what else?
Old 10-25-01, 10:52 AM

All the 7-inches I've heard I've pulled as mp3's (and that's not a lot). www.whitestripes.com is back up and has a good listing under "music." Of those listed I like "Hand Springs" and "Lord Send Me an Angel." "Look Me Over Closely" is good. I've heard it live a couple times, but I haven't heard "Let's Shake Hands." I'm looking forward to "Hotel Yorba/Rated X" since it will be on CD and will have the video included. Did you ever see any of the footage shot for it?
Old 10-25-01, 11:18 AM

Missy Elliot~ So Addictive
Ryan Adams~ Gold
Maria Callas~ The Legend
Old 10-25-01, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by sundog
All the 7-inches I've heard I've pulled as mp3's (and that's not a lot). www.whitestripes.com is back up and has a good listing under "music." Of those listed I like "Hand Springs" and "Lord Send Me an Angel." "Look Me Over Closely" is good. I've heard it live a couple times, but I haven't heard "Let's Shake Hands." I'm looking forward to "Hotel Yorba/Rated X" since it will be on CD and will have the video included. Did you ever see any of the footage shot for it?
I haven't seen it. I thought that was the video my roommate was going to be editing, but apparently it's for another song. He hasn't started on it yet. The director of the video is actually Fred Schneider of the B52s' boyfriend. I am definitely looking forward to seeing the dailies.

I bought the latest Detroit Cobras album. I am not too thrilled with it. Very tame.
Old 10-25-01, 11:23 AM

Fifteen Years of Turnmills: A Retrospective (Tall Pall mix)

Starsailor - "Love is Here" - absolutely amazing album, sounds like a cross between The Verve and Suede.

I am Koot - "Natural History"
Old 10-25-01, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

garbage - "beautiful garbage"
bluetones - "bluetonic"
ocean colour scene - "mosley shoals"
cure - "disintegration"
Old 10-25-01, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kenso - Kenso II
Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Magnum - Chase the Dragon
Randy Newman - Good Old Boys
Happy Family - Toscco
King's X - Ear Candy
Golden Smog - Down by the Old Mainstream
Steve Howe - Not Necessarily Acoustic
Raspberries - Collector's Series
Genesis - Wind and Wuthering
Old 10-25-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depeche Mode - Violator

Travis - The Man Who

Wilco - Being There (although I don't know why. Can someone explain what I'm missing w/ them? I do not get what all the fuss is about)
Old 10-25-01, 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Meatpants

Wilco - Being There (although I don't know why. Can someone explain what I'm missing w/ them? I do not get what all the fuss is about)
Well, what have you heard? I love Wilco because of Jeff Tweedy's voice and his amazing songwriting ability. I am not a huge Being There fan, it's more for fans of Gasoline Alley-era Rod Stewart. Summerteeth is the pure dark pop album and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is even darker.

I would definitely place Wilco among the top three bands recording today. Not complacent, looking for new sounds. That's what I want in a band.
Old 10-25-01, 04:58 PM

A good range today -

Various - Live At The Opry Vol 1
Steve Fox - Small World
Tejano Picante: Tex-Mex Classics - various
Sheila Chandra - This Sentance Is True (wow)
Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet
Boubacar Traore - Sa Golo

M
Old 10-27-01, 09:54 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Yancey
I cannot tell you how much I hate U2, and this just furthers that. What a pompous, wannabe messiah Bono is. The world would be better without him and his bloated
Helping to erase third world debt is an incredibly pompous thing to do. What's wrong with using your status as an internationally known rock star to do some good? He's not a wannabe messiah...he's just a good person, and after hearing him and the rest of the band talk over the years, and seeing how they've grown and matured and have come to appreciate the success they've had, I truly believe that.