Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Classical music suggestions?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-21-01, 04:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking to expand my scope on the classical music scene a bit and was wondering if any one of you folks out there might have some suggestions. I am a big fan of strings, not so much piano unless it's mixed in with other plenty of other instruments... no sonatas or chamber works.

As you might guess from my screen name, my favorite classical piece is The Scheherazade Suite by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov. I also enjoy Handel, especially his Water Music, and am partial to Tchaikovsky and Liszt. I prefer symphonic pieces, but this is one of the things I'd like to expand my knowledge on if you feel I may like it.

Though this doesn't really count as classical, I'd also love any recommendations on groups similar in style to The Mediaeval Baebes, Rasputina, and Miranda Sex Garden. Thanks in advance for your help!

~Scheherazade
Old 10-21-01, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i've always been more partial to piano music but i would recommend "the rite of spring" by igor stravinsky
Old 10-21-01, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
dvd audio and music talk forum?

They might be able to help out more.

I was raised on Classical music by my father, but I couldn't tell you the composer or name of any piece if my life depended on it. I don't know how that helps - but the best thing to do I've found (with any type of music) is to get a compilation. Try finding a good classical orchestra - most cities have their own - and buy one of their CDs - it'll probably be like 3 bucks and it'll probably be a compilation of different songs from different composers. Probably not helpful at all, but like I said - try the Music Talk forum.
Old 10-21-01, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doh! Didn't know we had one of these... sorry for not looking harder before posting. And thanks for the suggestions so far

~Scheherazade
Old 10-21-01, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Orff's Camina Burana rocks!
Old 10-21-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here is an old thread with some suggestions.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ight=classical
Old 10-21-01, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you like strings so much, you should look into some violin concertos. Beethoven's is probably the most famous, but Mendelssohn's and Sibelius's are also quite lovely. If you really want to OD on strings, try any of Paganini's concertos.

Beethoven's Triple Concerto is also highly recommended.