DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Genesis Live 2 Disk dvd set (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/150769-genesis-live-2-disk-dvd-set.html)

bothanspy 10-15-01 08:55 PM

Genesis Live 2 Disk dvd set

This has been coming up repeatedly on the Genesis music mailing list but a 2 disk dvd set is coming out November 26th although its not clear if this is a R1 release as well. The extras seem pretty good. Multi-angle, 5.1, audio commentary.

You can see a scan at www.timelapse-records.co.uk Right click the image and save it. Then re-open the image in your browser and you will get a muc larger image that you can actually read.

SPY

Illinois Enema Bandit 10-16-01 07:42 AM

Re: Genesis Live 2 Disk dvd set

Originally posted by bothanspy
This has been coming up repeatedly on the Genesis music mailing list but a 2 disk dvd set is coming out November 26th although its not clear if this is a R1 release as well. The extras seem pretty good. Multi-angle, 5.1, audio commentary.

That date is the UK release date. US street date has not yet been announced. It is a revisitation of the 1992 tour release, plus some (all?) of the MTV videos http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=147342

Personally, I'd rather have 70s era Genesis footage, but this is probably not going to happen

bothanspy 10-16-01 11:54 PM

I'm hoping that we wil see some Gabriel/Genesis stuff soon. Hopefully, with the Steve Hackett disk coming out, there may be some interest in getting it out.

SPY

nightliner 10-17-01 07:29 AM

I know the manager of the timelapes records site and it is a region 2 disc.

bothanspy 10-23-01 11:57 PM

The word on the Genesis mailing list is that only a PAL version has been made and no NTSC for the time being. Although a reason has not been officially cited, it seems that they don't believe there is a US market for it, which I think is bogus.

SPY

Illinois Enema Bandit 10-24-01 10:56 AM

Although a reason has not been officially cited, it seems that they don't believe there is a US market for it, which I think is bogus.
Presumably they are going by the stunning success (US sales - about 100,000, cancelled tour rotfl ) of their last album. Which sorta suggests to me a band that is more concerned about it's bottom line than it's fanbase. Gene$i$... :rolleyes:

bothanspy 10-24-01 02:28 PM

Yeah, well We Can't Dance sold quite a few copies and they played sold-out stadium tours. Calling All Stations debuted with Ray Wilson on lead vocals and almsot no marketing. Of course it bombed in the US.

SPY

Illinois Enema Bandit 10-24-01 03:41 PM

Yeah, well We Can't Dance sold quite a few copies and they played sold-out stadium tours.
And there lies the rub - one would think that a DVD version of said tour would sell more than 7 copies in the US :p

Calling All Stations debuted with Ray Wilson on lead vocals and almsot no marketing. Of course it bombed in the US.
From what I've heard, Atlantic Records did their bit as far as marketing goes. Radio and TV, however, greeted this release with all the affection reserved for a skunk at a backyard BBQ, considering the popular trends of the day. Seems to me that Banks & Rutherford are a tad bitter about this state of affairs - perhaps they need to remind themselves that million-selling albums are not their birthright

bothanspy 10-24-01 06:54 PM

Originally posted by Illinois Enema Bandit

And there lies the rub - one would think that a DVD version of said tour would sell more than 7 copies in the US :p

I'm not sure why you are fencing with me, but yeah, I think it would sell better than 7 copies. LAtest word is they may release for sale via website only.

SPY

Illinois Enema Bandit 11-12-01 08:53 PM

NTSC version is available for pre-order at http://www.genesis-music.com/shop.htm. Should ship at the end of Nov.

It appears that it will not be available at B&Ms or other etailers any time soon

bothanspy 11-12-01 11:53 PM

Crikey! 20 Pounds...$29.20

OUCH!

I may have to rethink this a bit.

SPY

Jack Straw 11-14-01 02:21 PM

[Personally, I'd rather have 70s era Genesis footage, but this is probably not going to happen]

Get the Steve Hackett Live in Tokyo DVD. The guy is amazing. Awesome intense textural electric guitar, and beautiful classical guitar pieces. John Wetton fills in very nicely on the vocals. Highlight IMO, "Firth of Fifth" if you're a big Genesis fan. Biggest disappointment was no tunes from "Spectral Mornings".

Zork 11-14-01 03:06 PM

This is great news...thanks :D

Illinois Enema Bandit 11-14-01 03:09 PM

Originally posted by thgord

Get the Steve Hackett Live in Tokyo DVD.

Already have it :)

nightliner 12-13-01 03:38 PM

I figured someone had to be the guinea pig here, so I ordered it and it just arrived. I have not had a chance to watch all of it, but I thought I would post some comments.

The picture is excellant. While maybe not as good as newer concert releases, it looks very good for a film 9 years old.

The sound is very concert-like. What I mean by that is it sounds like your in a concert arena. In other words, there is a lot of surround activity...maybe too much, but when I lowered my rears it sounded very nice.

The discs boasts over 8 hours of footage. A lot of that is because virtually every track(none on the drum duet) has multiple camera angles. Their is a menu that shows you what angles show what during each song. I didn't get a chance to play around with it. The downside to all of this is that there is a camera icon that you can't get rid of. The options menu allows you to turn of the indicator telling you how many angles are available per song, but the white camera never goes away. It is a bit annoying.

Other added features, which I have not checked out include an audio commentary, interviews and a slide show.

The packaging is nothing special. It comes with the 2 discs and nothing else.

It is an expensive item, but in light of the current situation that they don't plan on releasing it in the US, I recommend it to any fan of this era Genesis.

Jack Straw 12-14-01 02:37 PM

Originally posted by nightliner
I figured someone had to be the guinea pig here, so I ordered it and it just arrived. I have not had a chance to watch all of it, but I thought I would post some comments.

The picture is excellant. While maybe not as good as newer concert releases, it looks very good for a film 9 years old.

The sound is very concert-like. What I mean by that is it sounds like your in a concert arena. In other words, there is a lot of surround activity...maybe too much, but when I lowered my rears it sounded very nice.

The discs boasts over 8 hours of footage. A lot of that is because virtually every track(none on the drum duet) has multiple camera angles. Their is a menu that shows you what angles show what during each song. I didn't get a chance to play around with it. The downside to all of this is that there is a camera icon that you can't get rid of. The options menu allows you to turn of the indicator telling you how many angles are available per song, but the white camera never goes away. It is a bit annoying.

Other added features, which I have not checked out include an audio commentary, interviews and a slide show.

The packaging is nothing special. It comes with the 2 discs and nothing else.

It is an expensive item, but in light of the current situation that they don't plan on releasing it in the US, I recommend it to any fan of this era Genesis.

Nightliner, can you post the track listing so I can get an idea of whether I would want to seek this out? Thanks.

nightliner 12-14-01 02:44 PM

Land of Confusion
No Son of Mine
Driving the Last Spike
Old medley...featuring Lamb Lies Down, Musical Box, Firth of Fifth, I know What I like,That's all, Illegal Alien, Follow You, Follow me
Fading Lights
Jesus He Knows Me
Dreaming While You Sleep
Home By the Sea
Hold On My heart
Domino
Drum Duet
I Can't Dance
Tonight, Tonight, Tonight
Invisible Touch
Turn it On Again

Jack Straw 12-16-01 12:56 AM

Thanks. Looks like there's a lot of cheese there. I'll stick with my Steve Hackett Tokyo DVD.

nightliner 12-16-01 03:15 AM

I also have the Hackett disc. While the song list may be weak on the Genesis disc, it is a better quality disc than the Hackett. I would prefer earlier Genesis performances, but for now this one is better than nothing.