Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Artists whose careers were too long

Old 10-14-01, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Artists whose careers were too long

Inspired by the other thread, I ask you, what artists' careers should have been over years ago?

My choice would be The Beach Boys. There are hardly any original members left and, with the exception of Kokomo, they haven't had even a minor hit in well over 20 years. But somebody keeps touring under the name. Usually just Mike Love and some session guys. I think there is even a competing version of the Beach Boys out there touring that is nothing but session guys. The only person people really want to see is Brian Wilson, and he has no interest in doing anything Beach Boy related anymore.
Old 10-14-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is too easy...

Mariah Carry's career should've stopped after her first album.

Whitney Houston's career should've stopped when the 80's were over.

Celine Dion's career should've never started in the first place.

And of course someone should stop Michael Jackson from continuing his career at all cost.
Old 10-14-01, 02:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Two words....

.... boy bands!
Old 10-14-01, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

boy bands
Kiss
Aerosmith
Rolling Stones
Old 10-14-01, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Barbra Streisand is at the top of my list for artists who should never have started a career in the first place. Appalogiees to people who like her "singing", but I'd rather listen to a harpy screeching.

Lessee...
Mariah Carey needs to go away.
Celine Dion
Whiney Houston

I like the rolling stones, but they should have given it up around 1979.

Same goes for The Who and any member therein.

And I hate to say it, but David Bowie needs to start making decent music again. I'm a major fan, but I haven't heard anything halfway decent from him since Earthling. Hours was AWFUL.
Old 10-14-01, 05:11 PM

Metallica - heavy metal is so 10 years ago!
Old 10-14-01, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree
codefree

jk, love Metallica, but where would the world be without opinions.

my votes,

Rolling Stones
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Ozzy
Celine Dion
Whitney Houston
Britney Spears
Backstreet Boys

many other I can't think of.
Old 10-14-01, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I liked Aerosmith's newest album
and the S&M album for metallica was good
Old 10-15-01, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

All bands that are now only making music for the money:

Aerosmith
Metallica
Bon Jovi

All bands that said it was better to burn out than fade away:

The Who
The Rolling Stones
Old 10-15-01, 09:23 AM

Boy Bands = Plague of the Earth

Other Satan spawn:
George Michael
Britney Spears
Poison
Ratt
Vanilla Ice
Puff the Magic Marketer
Limp Biscuit
+ Too many others to mention.

Happy Hunting.
Old 10-15-01, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Meatpants
All bands that are now only making music for the money:

Newsflash: at the end of the day, all bands/artists like to make money. Including those you like, as well as those you despise
Old 10-15-01, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by codefree
That's ok - because Metallica hasn't made a metal album since 1991 - when they released the "black" album. They've been coasting on fumes for a decade.

As for bands that should've stopped 10 years ago, I'd go with Guns n' Roses.

Oh wait, they DID stop 10 years ago.

*snicker snicker*

"Chinese Democracy?" Yeah, right Axl . . . when pigs fly.

I'd also nominate:

Puff Daddy/P. Diddy - oh wait, guess that won't happen. Aaliyah just crashed and burned, so he'll have to put out a tribute, "unh"-ing and "yeah, yeah"-ing over a .38 Special power ballad.

Erasure - where did the pop go?

Depeche Mode - as much as it pains me to say so, as they are one of my all-time favorite synth-pop songsters. But did you actually hear "Exciter?" Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. "Inducing Narcolepsy" is a more apt title

Journey - sans Steve "the nose" Perry, what IS the point? It was all about the (snuffling harmonics of the) nose, people.

Styx - sans Dennis "[shrill mogwai screech]bright light! bright light!"[/shrill mogwai screech] DeYoung, again what IS the point?

Ozzy - Sharon? Would you please come out and curb your St. Bernard? And Oz, OZ! - don't speak. Just don't. At least not publicly. [shakes head sadly]THERE ARE NO WORDS.[/shakes head sadly]

Prince - and man, does this hurt even more so than the Depeche Mode comments above. For a life-long fan of "his royal purpleness," as one who would spend skads and skads of dough to acquire every last guitar squall or floaty falsetto he committed to tape - I am just deeply saddened by his last five years of commercial output. Where is the funky little imp that used to tear up the fret-board, lick the "blue angel" and wink? Apparently he's been replaced with the whipped bitter bitch that spends more time whining about his paycheck on Larry King Live than producing timeless pop-funk jams. The man that used to effortlessly toss off Lennon-McCartney harmonies one minute and Hendrix-inspired rave-ups the next has been reduced to sub R. Kelly-style, cut-and-paste R&B fluff. What a hideous, stomach-turning nose-dive. Get out from under Larry Graham's evil Jehovah Witness spell, Mr. Nelson and get funky damn quick.
Old 10-15-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Arnold Layne

Newsflash: at the end of the day, all bands/artists like to make money. Including those you like, as well as those you despise
Of course. I'm referring to bands that seem to go out of their way to

- get on soundtracks
- sell their music to commercials
- appear on every cheesy award show
- etc.

I am well aware that no one makes music for free.
Old 10-15-01, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

3rd Eye Blind and all "radio-friendly" so-called modern rock bands.

Master P(ee) and all the No Lyrics family wack MCs

same goes for Cash Money and all lame-o "Dirty South" rappers

and of course, Pee Diddly

Shooting Fish in a Barrel: modern manufactured popstars (duh)

Pink Floyd (as it stands now, a greatest hits jukebox on lifesupport)

The rotting 2-man corpse of what used to be called Genesis

Any "nu-metal"/rap-rock bullcrap

Clueless "electronica" and "techno-trance" practitioners (too many to list)

Jamiroquai (give it up, dips--ts, your music was done better 25 years ago by authentic pioneering innovating artists)

...that accounts for about 99% of the music out there, doesn't it?

I just focus on my selected playlist and call it a day.
Old 10-15-01, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Vanilla Ice
Old 10-15-01, 07:45 PM

Guys, I think that the intent of this thread was for bands that were once good, but have hung on too long and have become like a parody of what they once were, not just bands you wish would stop because you have always hated them.

Assuming this was the intent of the thread, Rolling Stones is the first thing that comes to mind.

Think about how good their earlier stuff is... Jumpin Jack Flash, Gimme Shelter, and Time is on my side are just a few examples... now listen to them. Mick Jagger should rot eternally in hell for "Has anybody seen my baby?"

Another good one is Pink Floyd... They were really good with Roger Waters, but with only David Gilmour, they are almost adult contemporary crap... I don't care why they are fighting,but they need to get over it.

Not to mention the various incarnations of bands who still use the same name, but wito only 1 or 2 original members, like what Black Sabbath was doing for all of those years. Bands like this bastardise the greatness of their early albums, and then hope you will buy the crap because of the name of the band.
Old 10-15-01, 07:46 PM

It should be a law that if a lead singer or main songwriter leaves a band, the name of the band must be changed.
Old 10-15-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Def Leppard, Motley Crue or any other 80's refugee hair-metal band that released an album after "Nevermind" was released or put out a recent "comeback" album (Poison..).

Elvis Presley should've stopped before he became a complete drugged-out mockery.
Old 10-16-01, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Burnt Alive
Elvis Presley should've stopped before he became a complete drugged-out mockery.
Ok - so I'm twisted. But I preferred the big sideburns, yellow over-sized sunglasses, beer-and-fried-banana-sandwiches belly, white polyster jumpsuited Elvis. When he started believing his own myth and flexing his "cheese" muscles as "the King," he became a helluva lot more interesting.

Besides - how many Elvis impersonators do you see doing his early years? Sure some do -- but they're not nearly as fun.
Old 10-16-01, 02:03 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Applejack It should be a law that if a lead singer or main songwriter leaves a band, the name of the band must be changed.
Yeah!

[Commenting just on the lead singer aspect, as bands will often have several writers but only one vocalist]

To name but three, after losing respectively Alan Atkins, Rod Evans and Paul Di'Anno, "Priest", "Purple" and "Maiden"* would've been cool!

But seriously, consider other situations where a guitarist and/or a drummer formed band and contracted a vocalist. An album or so into the life of the band the vocalist decides to leave or is sacked. I think it unreasonable to attach so much importance to the frontman whose contribution may be as much visual as anything. Why is the contribution of the other musicians secondary?

Or were you exaggerating for comic effect?

(* All these guys recorded with the "original" versions of the bands although some or all may have demo'd with other singers in their earliest stages)

Last edited by benedict; 10-16-01 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-16-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah
The rotting 2-man corpse of what used to be called Genesis

Do I take it you were also underwhelmed by that tepid bilgewater known as "Calling All Stations"?
Old 10-16-01, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Applejack
Guys, I think that the intent of this thread was for bands that were once good, but have hung on too long and have become like a parody of what they once were, not just bands you wish would stop because you have always hated them.
That was the intent. A list of bands you wish would stop because you have always hated them would degenerate into a flame war pretty quickly.
Old 10-17-01, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Since he's been desperately courting the Chicago morning radio circuit this week, I'd also have to go with John Cougar Mellancamp.

When did he suddenly lose all integrity completely? I mean it's not like the man that wrote "Hurts So Good" had a whole lot of integrity to begin with - but, for a time there in the late 80's/early 90's, his band and his songwriting was aging gracefully into a homey, folksy melange that wasn't entirely unpleasant.

I played the hell out of that "Big Daddy" album when it came out. "Martha Say" and "Theo and Weird Henry" are still wonderful songs. But once he discovered the drum machine (oh and started wearing mime makeup on album covers), well let's just say the less said about his musical output the better.