DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   If you could turn everyone on to ONE band, who would it be? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/149394-if-you-could-turn-everyone-one-band-who-would.html)

adia4625 10-14-01 12:42 PM

I say Full Devil Jacket.

I love that band. They only have one full CD out now and an 5 song EP ( 3 of those songs are on the full CD).

They sound like STP, Creed and throw in a little Disturbed for good measure. The vocals are really diverse and good lyrics as well.

I saw them twice as openers for STP and Creed. I also got to meet them after their set at Creed while Collective Soul was playing. They are really nice guys.

Theyre working on a new CD now and I cant wait.

www.fulldeviljacket.com for more info. Site needs updating though.

awl22 10-14-01 09:50 PM

I got a couple that might not be in the average person's CD collection:

My Dying Bride - "Turn Loose The Swans" is their best with "Like Gods Of The Sun" a close second.

Godspeed You Black Emperor - This is definitely headphone music. Any of their CDs will do.

Avrigus - They only have one full length "The Secret Kingdom" and one ep "The Final Wish". Get the full length since it contains 3 out of the 4 songs on the ep.

Within Tears - "Moments Of Life.. Chapter 1" Definitely different.

whomod 10-15-01 08:05 PM

I'll say Placebo as not only would they be my 1st pick but others have already posted idlewild and JJ72. coincidentally, Mark Greany(sp?) of JJ72's voice has been compared to Brian Molko of Placebo. Placebo and JJ72 also share comparisons to Joy Division (Smashing Pumpkins??) in their sound.

Probably the only interesting rock bands for me right now. Of course the new Suede, Pulp and Gene CD's are coming out soon:):):).

Innovation is not dead, it's just not being played on L.A. "alternative" stations (KROQ)anymore.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/allukmusic

Precious 10-16-01 07:05 AM

It's not that I'm an aging hippy but I wish a younger generation of A1 and Britney type fans would listen to some Bob Dylan once in a while. There is such a depth to the mans work that has transended fad. My obscure choice would be Eddi Reader, ex Fairground Attraction. Great female artist. And David Gray.

saoirse 10-16-01 03:22 PM

That would suck if everyone got turned onto people I like, cause then there would be a buch of wankers singing and boppin to good music and that would suck to know people you despise have the same interests as you. OK check this out then. Look back to your youth (or present) and imagine a great band or R&B album you like to get your swerve on to. Now picture everyone liking this and picture your mom playing that album and getting her swerve on to it. Worse still, picture a sicko stalker, creeping up on his next victim while listening to your favorite band in his walkmen.............oh damn I lost it..............................................................................um .........................................................um............................ Oh.............................. that's it. OOOOOUUUUUTTT!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Meatpants 10-16-01 03:35 PM

Yikes.

Uh, nevermind.

LupinIV 10-19-01 09:55 PM

DRAGON ASH

anyone heard of these guys?

they rizzock!

Drexl 10-19-01 10:02 PM

Originally posted by saoirse
Worse still, picture a sicko stalker, creeping up on his next victim while listening to your favorite band in his walkmen.............oh damn I lost it..............................................................................um .........................................................um............................ Oh.............................. that's it. OOOOOUUUUUTTT!!!!!
Been there, done that. The psycho who killed the actress Rebecca Schaefer loved to listen to the song "Exit," from The Joshua Tree by U2 (my favorite band).

whomod 10-20-01 01:24 AM

Originally posted by LupinIV
DRAGON ASH

anyone heard of these guys?

they rizzock!

I've heard of Dragon Ash.

Every time i'm on an mp3 search engine looking for Ash songs, I get a ton of their stuff.

jonathan.e 10-20-01 04:58 AM

UK band called Music for Pleasure from the early eighties although their sound was not really "of that time" being edgy in a sort of more pop version of Joy Division with a touch of The Chameleons thrown in as a lot of their stuff was epic, widescreen listening. Unfortunately they faded away before the advent of CD so the only way to get their stuff is on vinyl which is kind of fun as it’s more of an adventure trying to track various releases down . I have all but for a couple of seven inches and can highly recommend such releases as Blacklands, Chrome Hit Corrosion, Light, Fuel to the Fire along with their debut eponymous (and only full length album) and their awesome power pop single Time which came free with an excellent solid enamelled button/badge which I still have to this day, almost twenty years later.

If you see any of their seven or twelve inch’s - buy them you won’t be disappointed. I guess CD only people will miss out though and that’s unfortunate as this band deserves to be known and respected.

Ky-Fi 10-21-01 06:57 PM

New Model Army

I think they're coming up on 20 years, and they're still largely unknown, at least in the US. Kind of a cross between Joy Division, Bob Dylan and Thin Lizzy. Incredibly tight postpunk/folk songwriting, with poignant, sharp, touching lyrics and a fantastic live show.

db27 10-21-01 07:01 PM

Originally posted by adia4625
I say Full Devil Jacket.

I love that band.

www.fulldeviljacket.com for more info. Site needs updating though.

FDJ rocks, I thought for sure that "Now you Know" would have blown up for them.

Looking forward to some new stuff from them.

RevLiver 10-22-01 02:52 PM

godspeed you black emperor! - Experimental droning post-rock bliss. I love the way it ebbs and flows, slowly building to an incredible crescendo of sound. The term "wall of noise" gets thrown around a lot these days, but it's true in this case.

Mouse on Mars - I can't stop listening to their new disc, Idiology . If you like Aphex Twin and other experimental IDM stuff, you will most likely enjoy these guys. They have a very playful sense of humor, which really shines through the electronics.

Coil - No idea how to describe these guys. Maybe Throbbing Gristle meets 23 Skidoo meets Timothy Leary. Experimental doesn't begin to describe them, there really is no other band out there who sounds similar. Each release has a different feel to it, from techno to old-school industrial to electronic minimalism to prog-rock, it's all mixed to great effect.

Check out my CD list below for other suggestions.

saoirse 10-22-01 03:09 PM

If you like COIL you may enjoy Psychic TV or Clock DVA.

I must say I enjoy owning Coil's Hellraiser Themes (which were originally meant for the movie, but deemed too frightening).

BDB 10-23-01 01:52 PM

I would like to add in Beth Orton as my next suggestion, she has an amazing voice, she is like a mellower poppier version of PJ Harvey. Pretty much PJ vs Everything but the girl.

Central Reservation is a real good record.