DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Michael Jackson's new album (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/148183-michael-jacksons-new-album.html)

big whoppa 10-06-01 10:35 AM

Michael Jackson's new album

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Anyone going to buy his new album? Thoughts on the video?

The single "Rock my World" is growing on me. The video seems like an amalgamation of his previous videos. Not as good as some of his prior videos but interesting nonetheless.

Sony is releasing remastered versions of Bad, Thriller, and Off the Wall with extra tracks.

RaZorBlade 10-06-01 10:50 AM

I'm getting it for sure - the songs growing on me too, and the video, well, I agree with you. (It's still fun to watch though).

I also like his second single, "Cry" - you can hear it at michaeljackson.com.

mtucker 10-06-01 10:55 AM

MJ better be careful with the naming of his albums. He's leaving himself no room to move up. I mean 'Bad', 'Dangerous', 'Invincible'. What's next? 'Godlike'?

Jason 10-06-01 01:55 PM

How about "Irrelevent" or "15:01"?

big whoppa 10-07-01 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Jason
How about "Irrelevent" or "15:01"?
The anti-MJ camp thinks this way. If the public concentrates on his music and not his personality then the album could still be a hit. Not in the mega-success of Thriller but there's no doubt it will go platinum.

I have to check out Cry. Sounds like a ballad. I prefer his uptempo songs.

Eric F 10-07-01 02:11 PM

Well, it's pretty hard to seperate the "personality" from the music when MJ represents the cult of it.

It's really hard to dismiss his freakish appearance, and his apparent predilection for little boys.

Precious 10-08-01 07:01 AM

I won't buy this unheard I'll wait and see if there are any other singles on it which I like. I loved his old 80's stuff, particullaly "man in the mirror" which I thick have some of the best lyrics I've ever heard. I do think he need to change his image a lot, away from the nut case personna to accompliced entertainer.

Jason 10-08-01 08:20 AM

VH1 was showing clips from "Thriller" this weekend, and it really puit things into perspective about MJ for me. The guy used to be really cool. He had good, solid music and was really innovative in the use of video. And he did kick-start a sagging music industry that was desperately looking for a 'next big thing'.

The problem is, he's based his whole career on "Hey, I had the #1 selling album of all time! I'm a god!" Except for Bad, which was a decent enough follow-up, he really hasn't done anything that measures up to his past glorys. As a musician and an entertainer, he's never really reached his true potential in over 10 years.

Even though I'd rather not even go into his freakish personal behavior or appearance, he's made that an inseperable part of his celebrity. You can't even look at the guy without thinking about that silly amusement park house, his monkey, the elephant man's bones, or his allegedly perverse appetites. He's truly the heir to Elvis's bloated crown.

It's not that I hate MJ. Hell, I wanted one of those "Beat It" jackets in '83 just like everybody else did. I just hate what he's become, and can't understand why people talk about him like he's still that cool kid singing about Billie Jean.

exm 10-10-01 07:47 AM

Originally posted by Jason
VH1 was showing clips from "Thriller" this weekend, and it really puit things into perspective about MJ for me. The guy used to be really cool. He had good, solid music and was really innovative in the use of video. And he did kick-start a sagging music industry that was desperately looking for a 'next big thing'.

The problem is, he's based his whole career on "Hey, I had the #1 selling album of all time! I'm a god!" Except for Bad, which was a decent enough follow-up, he really hasn't done anything that measures up to his past glorys. As a musician and an entertainer, he's never really reached his true potential in over 10 years.

Even though I'd rather not even go into his freakish personal behavior or appearance, he's made that an inseperable part of his celebrity. You can't even look at the guy without thinking about that silly amusement park house, his monkey, the elephant man's bones, or his allegedly perverse appetites. He's truly the heir to Elvis's bloated crown.

It's not that I hate MJ. Hell, I wanted one of those "Beat It" jackets in '83 just like everybody else did. I just hate what he's become, and can't understand why people talk about him like he's still that cool kid singing about Billie Jean.

Word, dude. This is exactly what I think about MJ.

bigjim25 10-12-01 01:26 AM

I for one can't wait. I'm even thinking of buying the new remastered CDs coming out!
<center><A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QGAT/qid=1002867290/sr=1-3/ref=dvdtalk">http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</A>
<small>1. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
2. Rock With You
3. Working Day And Night
4. Get On The Floor
5. Off The Wall
6. Girlfriend
7. She's Out Of My Life
8. I Can't Help It
9. It's The Falling In Love
10. Burn This Disco Out
11. Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough - (previously unreleased, demo)
12. Working Day And Night - (previously unreleased, demo) </small>
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QGAZ/qid=1002867290/sr=1-2/ref=dvdtalk">http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</A>
<small>1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
2. Baby Be Mine
3. Girl Is Mine, The - (with Paul McCartney)
4. Thriller
5. Beat It
6. Billie Jean
7. Human Nature
8. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
9. Lady In My Life, The
10. Someone In The Dark (previously unreleased)
11. Billie Jean - (previously unreleased, demo)
12. Carousel - (previously unreleased)
</small>
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QGAX/qid=1002867290/sr=1-1/ref=dvdtalk">http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</A>
<small>1. Bad
2. Way You Make Me Feel
3. Speed Demon
4. Liberian Girl
5. Just Good Friends
6. Another Part Of Me
7. Man In The Mirror
8. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
9. Dirty Diana
10. Smooth Criminal
11. Leave Me Alone
12. Streetwalker - (previously unreleased)
13. I Just Can't Stop Loving You - (Spanish version)
14. Fly Away - (previously unreleased)</small>
<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QGAV/qid=1002867290/sr=1-4/ref=dvdtalk">http://gs.cdnow.com/graphics/COVERAR...9/00452219.jpg</A>
<small>1. Jam
2. Why You Wanna Trip On Me
3. In The Closet
4. She Drives Me Wild
5. Remember The Time
6. Can't Let Her Get Away
7. Heal The World
8. Black Or White
9. Who Is It
10. Give In To Me
11. Will You Be There
12. Keep The Faith
13. Gone Too Soon
14. Dangerous</small>

All tracks have been digitally remastered.

Frank TJ Mackey 10-12-01 07:49 AM

Big Jim that "THRILLER" special edition is a must-have for any big music fan. Two unreleased tracks and a Billie Jean demo. I'll be picking that up for sure.

I'd download the ones from the other albums though.

the Michael Jackson "15:01" to music would be like saying
Mark McGwire "15:01" to baseball.

At first it seemed like ignorance but now I think it's a)never really liked Michael Jackson in the first place and b)has probably never listened to a complete Michael Jackson album in 15 years if at all.

Jason 10-12-01 12:46 PM

Who's the black kid on the cover of Thriller?

Sorry, I just couldn't resist -smile-

bigjim25 10-12-01 07:47 PM

Track listing for M J's new CD!

<center>http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.MZZZZZZZ.jpg <small>
1. Unbreakable
2. Heartbreaker
3. Invincible
4. Break Of Dawn
5. Heaven Can Wait
6. You Rock My World
7. Butterflies
8. Speechless
9. 2000 Watts
10. Shout
11. Don't Walk Away
12. Privacy
13. Cry
14. The Lost Children
15. Whatever Happens
16. Threatened

big whoppa 10-14-01 04:27 AM

Hmmm. Interesting new cover art especially the one for Thriller.

Wag The Frog 10-14-01 08:26 PM

That picture of MJ on the new Invincible album looks like the redheaded Spice Girl.

Daytripper 10-15-01 07:57 AM

So much for Michael Jackson changing his style/image. I read for months that the guy who produced Michael's new album was trying to get him away from his signature sound. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I heard the song on the radio and it sounds like it could have been lifted from any of Jacko's previous albums. And that new video? Same ol', same ol'. Mike, lose the fedora already. And enough of that breaking and shattering glass. Tired tired tired.

big whoppa 10-15-01 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Daytripper
So much for Michael Jackson changing his style/image. I read for months that the guy who produced Michael's new album was trying to get him away from his signature sound. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But I heard the song on the radio and it sounds like it could have been lifted from any of Jacko's previous albums. And that new video? Same ol', same ol'. Mike, lose the fedora already. And enough of that breaking and shattering glass. Tired tired tired.
I think you're referring to Rodney Jerkins (Dark Child) who I think produced "You Rock My World."

BDB 10-17-01 03:10 PM

1st Review from NME.COM
Michael Jackson : 'Invincible'

It's finally here, six years and 21 million dollars later. And while the production is never less than sumptuous, does it really contain six years' worth of great tune? NME heard it once in a room full of liggers, so our remarks should be understood with that proviso. But it didn't sound all that to us...

1. Unbreakable

Dramatic, machine-tooled opener operating at producer Rodney Jerkins' slightly-slower-than-you'd-expect patent tempo, this is the only tune that really stuck in NME's head the morning after hearing it. Featuring a rap by Notorious BIG, it's lyrically defiant and the longest track at nearly six and a half minutes.

2. Heartbreaker

A busy, percussive groove with a compulsive repetitive chorus but a classic soaring Jacko middle eight. The words excoriate some girl who's, yes, broken Michael's heart.

3. Invincible

The riff is slightly reminiscent of Sly & The Family Stone's 'Thank You (Falletin Me Be Mice Elf Again)' (which Jackson used on his remix of 'Scream'). The lyrics describe Jacko competing for the affections of a girl with another bloke who buys her "diamonds and pearls". Jacko isn't getting anywhere because she's, yes, invincible. It's a good, hard R&B record, but on first listen not really much of a song.

4. Break Of Dawn

The first ballad and a typical mid-paced R&B production (by Teddy Riley) with bells and strings a-go-go. Features excellent Jackson vocals and even tweeting birds but it's hardly cutting edge.

5. Heaven Can Wait

Around this point you realise that Jackson is no longer pioneering - this would be a good Usher ballad. It has classic "if I should die tonight" love lyrics and swelling chords, but doesn't add up to all that much.

6. You Rock My World

Since this sounds unremarkable the first 16 times but suddenly turns mysteriously great on the 17th, it serves as a warning not to judge the rest of the album prematurely. It's the full version, including the annoying intro.

7. Butterflies

Slow, dragging funk with Fender Rhodes piano and huge harmonies, it's Michael talking about some girl who gives him "butterflies inside". It finishes with the lyrics "I wish I could be in you tonight". Oo-er!

8. Speechless

Written and produced by Jacko alone, this is the first really soaring tune on the album. Possibly a tad sugary for some tastes, it at least has an indubitably strong chorus. It's also beautifully sung, with a good chord change at the end. A glimpse of what could have been before the production armies marched in?

9. 2000 Watts

Hard, hammering and chant-like, this is a definite highlight. With minimal, industrial production, it's a rough equivalent to 'They Don't Care About Us' on 'HIStory'. The tribal feel underlines that this album is really good at rhythm, but unfortunately less so at tune.

10. You Are My Life

A Carpenters-style ballad with a soppy key change, this is neither here nor there.

11. Privacy

Very slow funk, with the tempo (and tune) of Jacko's old cover of The Beatles' 'Come Together'. It also sounds a bit like Bobby Brown's 'My Prerogative', before turning into Whitney Houston's 'Queen Of The Night'. Lyrically, the title says it all - but at least it has balls.

12. Don't Walk Away

Despite the title, this passed NME by. It's a ballad.

13. Cry

The first single in the US, this is an R Kelly-penned belter adorned with a massive gospel choir. It'll be released as the Christmas single over here. A proper song, it's about the death of a loved one and should strike a chord with the latent Jacko massive.

14. The Lost Children

It's a waltz, with interesting chord changes and - yup! - a children's choir. Has refreshingly light production compared to the sonic assault of the rest of the album, but it's a bit wishy-washy

15. Whatever Happens

Bossa nova bollocks featuring Carlos Santana, this is like a lo-cal version of Terence Trent D'Arby's 'Sign Your Name'

16. Threatened

More Rodney Jerkins funk, this has a compulsive upward chord sequence and good drum rolls. Sporting a 'Thriller'-style rap, it's an emphatic end to a less than convincing album.

And that's it. On first listen, 'Invincible' is a good R&B record, but certainly not pioneering - and there's a question mark over too many of the melodies. It doesn't sound like the album that will save Jacko's US career, and why it's taken so long remains a mystery.

big whoppa 10-17-01 04:07 PM

Thanks for the review. It still surprises me that Michael decided not to reteam with producer Quincy Jones. Afterall, Q is largely responsible for his 3 blockbuster albums, OTW, Thriller (obviously), and Bad. If his sister, Janet, can stay with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis and continue to have hit albums, there is no reason Michael couldn't continue with Q.

big whoppa 10-17-01 04:10 PM

BTW, all 3 remastered albums are out. If anyone has heard the extra tracks, please review.

Frank TJ Mackey 10-17-01 09:17 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
BTW, all 3 remastered albums are out. If anyone has heard the extra tracks, please review.

I got the THRILLER remastered and the first new song is not really unreleased.......it's the E.T. songbook song according to the cd.........there are 21 tracks..........9 original........and about 9 interview tracks with Quincey.......now then...."Carousel" is an amazing song that they cut for stupid reasons.....but the version here is only 1:30 long.......pissed me off big time.

the Billie Jean demo is kind cool and short as well.....about 2:10 and it's raw.....he did it at home I think and you can tell.......

I still forget the name of the other song above (ET) but it's full length about 5 minutes , slow and pretty good.

Carousel was a mistake not including it on the album and the length as well.

The remastering of the original songs sounds great.

bigjim25 10-17-01 10:49 PM

<A HREF="http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/index.html#10172001">From DVDfile.com</A>: Coming November 13th to DVD are Michael Jackson: HIStory (featuring Brace Yourself, Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel long version, Black Or White, Rock With You, Bad 18-minute version, Thriller, Beat It, Remember The Time, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and Heal The World) and Michael Jackson: Dangerous - The Short Films (featuring Black Or White, Heal The World Superbowl version, Remember The Time, Will You Be There, In The Closet, Gone Too Soon, Jam, Heal The World, Give In To Me, Who Is It, and Dangerous.) Both discs are presented in full frame with Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo tracks, and a discography. Retail is $19.95 a pop for all three discs.

big whoppa 10-18-01 08:29 PM

Thanks. I saw the 3 remastered albums on display at Wal-Mart. The CD's are in sleeves. It was a little disappointing to find out many of the extra tracks are demos. The improved audio will be great. I don't have any of the albums on CD so it'll be a good addition to my collection.

tsohg 10-19-01 12:53 AM

Originally posted by bigjim25
<A HREF="http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/index.html#10172001">From DVDfile.com</A>: Coming November 13th to DVD are Michael Jackson: HIStory (featuring Brace Yourself, Billie Jean, The Way You Make Me Feel long version, Black Or White, Rock With You, Bad 18-minute version, Thriller, Beat It, Remember The Time, Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough and Heal The World) and Michael Jackson: Dangerous - The Short Films (featuring Black Or White, Heal The World Superbowl version, Remember The Time, Will You Be There, In The Closet, Gone Too Soon, Jam, Heal The World, Give In To Me, Who Is It, and Dangerous.) Both discs are presented in full frame with Dolby Digital 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo tracks, and a discography. Retail is $19.95 a pop for all three discs.
That is cool and all but WHERE IS MOONWALKER!? that's the dvd I'm waiting for.

BDB 10-30-01 11:15 AM

So has no-one picked this up yet?

I am listening to some of it now, invincible is okay.
butterflies is not bad, reminds me a bit of diamonds and
pearls

Cry is like old MJ Ballads, quite nice.

Will buy it at lunch today.