Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Michael Jackson's new album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Michael Jackson's new album

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-01, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
So has no-one picked this up yet?

I am listening to some of it now, invincible is okay.
butterflies is not bad, reminds me a bit of diamonds and
pearls

Cry is like old MJ Ballads, quite nice.

Will buy it at lunch today.
I just did, and either a lot of other people did as well (at least at K-Mart), or they didn't receive many since there were only a couple left. I've not listened to it yet, am currently ripping to MP3.

edited to add: After listening to it, my fears have come true . I loved his stuff up to HIStory (only liked about half of that one), but he's gone a bit too "thumpa thumpa" for my liking. I was hoping for a reappearance of Slash (or someone similar) like on Dangerous. Oh well . Also, if this album cost $21M to make, how many does he have to sell to make a profit?!

Last edited by cartman; 10-30-01 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-31-01, 08:29 AM
RaZorBlade

I bought it yesterday- I liked it a lot. There were 2 songs in total that I didn't really like, but the rest I liked. My favourites are Unbreakable, Invincible, Cry, Butterflies, YRMW, The Lost Children...
Old 10-31-01, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can't quite bring myself to buy this at full retail. Not even at full-discounted retail - since it's selling for $11.99 at most stores around here.

I'll have to wait till I see it show up in the used bin somewhere. Even though it's Michael, deep down I just KNOW that I'll play it once - hate the warmed-over 80's groove - and never listen to it again.

This happens to me frequently with cheesy modern R&B and rap albums. I just can't bring myself to buy them new. They have to show up used and under $10 or I'm just not interested.

Although I suppose I bought Maxwell's latest at full retail - to my dismay . I guess that's the exception that proves the rule: cheesy R&B must be cheap or I aint-a buyin' it.
Old 10-31-01, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Considering the horrific reviews, I think not

So far I've read bad reviews in:

Rolling Stone
Entertainment Weekly
New Musical Express
LA Times
NY Times
Boston Herald
The Guardian
Times of London
USA Today
Sacramento Bee
Old 10-31-01, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Considering the horrific reviews, I think not

Originally posted by cungar
So far I've read bad reviews in:

Rolling Stone
Entertainment Weekly
New Musical Express
LA Times
NY Times
Boston Herald
The Guardian
Times of London
USA Today
Sacramento Bee
some of those reviews you read were not "bad" reviews......they just weren't 4 star reviews. also, critics are gonna bash the album just cuz they love bashing him. i've been listening to this album for almost two weeks now and it's pretty damn good. huge MJ fans would probably tell ya it's very good.

some great ballads and mostly mid-tempo r&b with good production by Rodney Jerkins. Carlos Santana plays guitar on a song. plus he leaves the album at 16 tracks and 77 minutes. the greatest reviewed albums have minimal songs. all the so-so tracks have been taken off. at least you get your money's worth.

i'd give it 8/10; History i gave 6/10 and that was just because Stranger In Moscow, Little Susie and You Are Not Alone were three absolutely incredible tracks.

BTW only that first part was directed at you........after that i was just too lazy to post again.

MJ has to sell 3 million copies "before" the album begins to make money. It ended up costing 30 million bucks with promotion for "Invincible".
Old 10-31-01, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
No they were all BAD reviews

They were all at most 2 1/2 stars out of 4. If you can point to one in the list that isn't bad, please post. I've heard the album. It is truly wretched pablum.
Old 10-31-01, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw a great one word review of this in GQ Magazine this month:

Michael Jackson: "Invincible"...vincible.

'nuff said.
Old 11-02-01, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the album today and really, really hoped that it would be good. But no. I loved Thriller, I think Bad is the best album ever made. Dangerous was boring but had some ok tracks, most of History was grabage, and this is like Dangerous - boring. The melodies are not there, just a lot of drums, bass and rap and nothing more, no hooks. I gues I will pick up the new versions of Thriller and Bad and enjoy them instead. Why can't Michale when Madonna can still do it?
Old 11-03-01, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought Invincible on Halloween at Circuit City. Sad to say but there just aren't too many memorable tracks. The catchiest by far is "You Rock My World." The other tracks are not very distinguishable from each other. If Michael had reteamed with Quincy Jones, there would be no doubt that the album would be fantastic. Right now, it's kind of mediocre. This may be one of those albums that I'll have to listen a number of times before I enjoy it. It was one of the few CD's I bought prior to hearing several tracks.