DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Smashing Pumpkins' videos on DVD november 20th! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/148031-smashing-pumpkins-videos-dvd-november-20th.html)

Grizzly 10-05-01 07:14 PM

Smashing Pumpkins' videos on DVD november 20th!

i didn't see a thread about it and since this is the official news so to speak i thought i'd post it.. hopefully no one else has posted it. anyway, they're releasing the previously announced DVD with all their videos at the same day as their Greatest Hits cd "Rotten Apples". check out the Sonicnet story below:

<b>Pumpkins' Smashes, Unreleased Tracks Gathered On Rotten Apples</b>

Defunct rockers also plan limited-edition bonus CD, DVD.

Hits, obscurities — they're all Rotten Apples to the Smashing Pumpkins.

The disbanded Chicago rockers will release an 18-track best-of package on November 20, and fans who act fast can get a second disc of rarities along with it.

A limited-edition version will include a second CD titled Judas O, featuring B-sides and rarities from the sessions for Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness, Adore and MACHINA/The Machines of God. The Pumpkins, who called it quits late last year, released a rarities album in 1994 titled Pisces Iscariot.

Rotten Apples will include two previously unavailable tracks — "Real Love," recorded during the MACHINA II sessions, and "Untitled," the band's final completed track. "Untitled" surfaced on the radio earlier this year and was recorded in late November by frontman Billy Corgan, guitarist James Iha and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin (see "Smashing Pumpkins Fire Final Shot With 'Untitled'").

<b>A DVD will also hit stores in conjunction with Rotten Apples, featuring the Pumpkins' video collection and behind-the-scenes footage.</b>

Meanwhile, Corgan continues to work on his debut solo album (see "Billy Corgan Working On Demos For Post-Pumpkins LP").

Track Listing for Rotten Apples:

• Siva
• Rhinoceros
• Drown
• Cherub Rock
• Today
• Disarm
• Landslide
• Bullet With Butterfly Wings
• Zero
• Tonight, Tonight
• Eye
• Ava Adore
• Perfect
• The Everlasting Gaze
• Stand Inside Your Love
• Real Love
• Untitled

Track listing for Judas O:

• Lucky 13
• Aeroplane Flies High (Turns Left, Looks Right)
• Because You Are
• Slow Dawn
• Believe
• My Mistake
• Marquis in Spades
• Here's to the Atom Bomb
• Sparrow
• Waiting
• Saturnine
• Rock On
• Set the Ray to Jerry
• Winterlong
• Soot and Stars
• Blissed and Gone

i hope the DVD will sell really well so that they (Virgin Records) decides to release Vieuphoria on DVD as well.. I MUST HAVE Vieuphoria on DVD, dammit!

madelinebh 10-05-01 08:48 PM

Any idea what the CDs and DVD are going to cost (especially the 2-disc limited version of "Rotten Apples + Judas O")?

RandomAxes 10-05-01 09:00 PM

this news has made my night so much better!

Finally I can get rid of my VHS of the Tonight Tonight video... I think it's the greatest music video of all time!

~Shayne~

Drexl 10-05-01 09:15 PM

This sounds great, but where are the videos for "Rocket" and "Thirty-Three?"

Grizzly 10-06-01 05:18 PM

madelinebh, no idea what the DVD will cost but i preordered the CD on CDnow for about $13, and they list that it's a 2-cd release so that ought to mean i'll be getting the limited time only release with Judas O.

Originally posted by Drexl
This sounds great, but where are the videos for "Rocket" and "Thirty-Three?"
huh?

i'm sure they'll be on the DVD, why wouldn't they? - the tracklisting above is for the greatest hits CD. NOT THE DVD.

Drexl 10-06-01 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Grizzly
huh?

i'm sure they'll be on the DVD, why wouldn't they? - the tracklisting above is for the greatest hits CD. NOT THE DVD.

Sorry-I thought that was for the DVD.

madelinebh 10-06-01 08:37 PM

Grizzly- Thanks for the info. I saw that too at CDNow. Pretty good price for a 2 disc set. I hope that is the limited set with the "Judas O" CD. Looking forward to the CDs and the DVD. Thanks again.

BizRodian 10-09-01 09:56 PM

Awesome. There are only two groups I'd buy DVDs from, REM and Smashing Pumpkins (great artists with great music videos!)

Now hurry up REM, I think you have a concert DVD out, but I want your videos! :D

mkdevo 10-09-01 10:20 PM

great news... if only they'd release 'viewphoria' on dvd... one of my few remaining vhs tapes...

ChiTownAbs, Inc 10-09-01 11:16 PM

I wonder if the last concert at Metro will ever be on DVD.

Butters 10-10-01 12:43 PM

Originally posted by BizRodian
Now hurry up REM, I think you have a concert DVD out, but I want your videos! :D
This Film Is On is out on DVD. It contains all the videos for Out Of Time. Also, I believe Parallel contains the videos from Automatic For The People and Monster. You might want to check those 2 out.

BizRodian 10-10-01 11:41 PM

Thanks, I'll give that a look. Personally I was thinking along the lines of that Beastie Boys Anthology Criterion put out like a year ago. Didn't that have all their videos plus tons of extras?

I'm not a huge music fan, I don't even know what music videos are from what album... even though I love REM. I just don't buy CDs, I listen to the radio and will watch MTV or whatever specials on them to see their videos. So something has to be pretty big to excite me :) I just don't feel like buying more than one DVD for music videos.

Drexl 10-11-01 12:40 AM

Thanks, I'll give that a look. Personally I was thinking along the lines of that Beastie Boys Anthology Criterion put out like a year ago. Didn't that have all their videos plus tons of extras?
No, it did not have the early ones from "Licensed to Ill," which is why I didn't want to get it.

BizRodian 10-11-01 05:44 PM

Well, that sucks for fans of them then. :(

Grizzly 10-11-01 06:59 PM

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs
I wonder if the last concert at Metro will ever be on DVD.
it's due out on DVD Q1 2002 along with the documentary they had made during the final months in existance.

Adboy151 10-13-01 02:57 PM

There are several R.E.M. DVDs out...

This Film Is On - videos from the 'Out of Time.'
Parallel - videos from the 'Automatic' and 'Monster' records.
Pop Screen - videos from the 'Green' and 'Document' records.
Tourfilm - 'Green'-era concert film.
Road Movie - 'Hi-Fi'/'Monster'-era concert footage.
Circuit (1) - has a segment/interview/performance on the making of 'Up'

Really all that's missing is 'Succumbs' video collection of the IRS years and 'Athens, GA Inside/Out.' Well, that and a new compilation of videos from the last three records.

Grizzly 10-23-01 06:10 PM

<b>DVD Information : </b>

• 18 Videos
• Director and Band Interviews
• Never-seen before b-roll from video shoots
• Director's Cuts

<b>VHS Information : </b>

• 18 Videos
• Director and Band Interviews

<b>Tracklisting : </b>

• Siva
• Rhinocerous
• Cherub Rock
• Today
• Disarm
• Rocket
• Bullet with Butterfly Wings
• Zero
• Tonight, Tonight
• Ava Adore
• Perfect
• Stand Inside Your Love
• The Everlasting Gaze
• Try, Try, Try
• Geek USA
• Untitled
• Thru the Eyes of Ruby

Source : Virgin Records Promotions

bigjim25 10-24-01 12:00 AM

<center>http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg</center>
Billy's got hair! ;)

MSRP is $17.98 for the DVD according to AMAZON!:D

Grizzly 10-24-01 07:43 PM

i ordered both the CD and DVD from CDnow... they cost about $14 each which i thought was a very reasonable deal.

by the way, the video for "Untitled" is awesome if you're a fan of the band.

Gil Jawetz 10-24-01 10:56 PM

It doesn't have the video for The Beginning is the end is the beginning. Or the end is the beginning is the end. I forget which is which.

Grimfarrow 10-25-01 01:53 AM

Originally posted by buskerdog
It doesn't have the video for The Beginning is the end is the beginning. Or the end is the beginning is the end. I forget which is which.
TEITBITE.

We surmise that Virgin was not able to work out an agreement with Warner on releasing that video.

Also, in the later press releases, "Untitled" is included in the DVD, but suddenly 33 is missing.

Grizzly 10-25-01 07:11 PM

and now this...

The SMASHING PUMPKINS have confirmed details of their 'GREATEST HITS VIDEO COLLECTION - 1991 - 2000'.

The video, released on November 19, is the companion to the Smashing Pumpkins' Greatest Hits CD compilation, 'Rotten Apples', out on the same day.

The video features over 18 promos chronicling the Pumpkins' musical career. In total, the DVD contains over 90 minutes of solid music, as well as an array of extras, including commentary about the production of the clips by the band themselves, narration by the directors who filmed the videos, exclusive outtakes from the shoots, and bonus behind-the-scenes documentaries.

Highlights on the DVD include the band's first video, a clip for the song 'Siva', the MTV Award-winning videos 'Tonight, Tonight' and '1979' and two live performance clips, 'Geek USA' (live from 1994) and 'An Ode to No One' (live from the last show at the Metro in Chicago in December 2000).

The complete track listing for the DVD is:

'Siva' 'Rhinocerous' 'Cherub Rock' 'Today' 'Disarm' 'Rocket' 'Bullet With Butterfly Wings' '1979' 'Zero' 'Tonight, Tonight' 'Thirty-Three' 'Ava Adore' 'Perfect' 'The Everlasting Gaze' 'Stand Inside Your Love' 'Try, Try, Try' 'Geek USA' (Live at Oz, Seattle, 1994) 'An Ode to No One' (Live at Metro, Chicago, December, 2000) 'I Am One' 'Try '- A Short Film

they have to put the "Untitled" video on it, dammit! :(

then again, nothing makes sense either.. the text mentions 18 "promos" (videos), yet there are 20 listed (excluding "Untitled")...

joshuatree81 10-26-01 10:19 PM

When I was in Chicago over the summer, I read in the paper when this DVD was announced that there will also be a 2nd DVD realesed later, that will contain the songs from their last concert. I was at this 4 hour + phenomenon and I hope they will release the whole thing instead of chopping it up like the like to do with so many concerts.