Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kate Bush "The Dreaming"

Old 10-05-01, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kate Bush "The Dreaming"

Listening to this again at work. From circa 1983, after a heavy influence from Peter Gabriel.

Wow. What an incredible album. It mixes primal/aboriginal music, operatic and musical-theatre, new wave, synth, into something really groundbreaking. Then there's Kate's voice...and her layered, metaphorical and twisted lyrics. Not for everyone, but definitely for me. If you love adventurous music I recommend checking it out and having patience with it.
Old 10-05-01, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great album. I still think her debut ("The Kick Inside") is her best. Just my opinion. "Hounds of Love" is great too.
Old 10-06-01, 07:29 AM
Mod Emeritus

I had it in mind that KB's original contract came about as a result of another Genesis member [just checked: it was actually Dave Gilmour from Pink Floyd!] I know she had a record deal aged 16 although didn't release her first single (in the UK, Wuthering Heights) until three years on. Later she worked with Gilmour on his "The Sensual World".

As well as all my hardrock and New Wave albums I do have a fair smattering of more experimental/ethereal material although I only have KB's 1986 compilation, "The Whole Story". Her best-known Peter Gabriel collaboration features on his 1990 compilation "Shaking the Tree - 16 Golden Greats" (and probably elsewhere).

Nice site here: link

Last edited by benedict; 10-06-01 at 07:37 AM.
Old 10-06-01, 11:47 AM

Speaking of Kate, anybody know if she plans to release a new album in the forseeable future? It's been a good seven or eight years since "The Red Shoes", I believe...
Old 10-06-01, 12:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

From the above link:
Latest word confirmed from EMI is that they have not scheduled a new album release for 2001. HomeGround fanzine report that Kate is continuing to work steadily on a new album, "As ever Del is engineering and already guest musicians are arriving to add their work..." As previously reported Kate began writing and demoing songs for a new album in early 1999. She has had her recording studio serviced and upgraded and recording was expected to have began before Christmas '99. Kate is reported to be "happy and full of energy". In the meantime EMI still plan to release remastered and repackaged CDs of the remainder of Kate's album catalogue as with 1997's Hounds Of Love reissue. The CDs will have new packaging and photos and extra tracks. The initial release schedule has "slipped" but it is still hoped that they will be released sometime in 2001. EMI are hoping that the reissues will pave the way for the release of Kate's eighth studio album.
Old 10-06-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the Kate update!

I've been wanting to own the Hounds of Love album for a while. Maybe I'll wait until the remaster is released.

I really don't know how much The Dreaming would benefit from remastering, but bonus tracks might be cool.
Old 10-07-01, 12:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Just been out shopping and saw HoL on special offer!

The extra tracks on the remastered Hounds of Love are:
  • The Big Sky (MeTeorogical Mix)
  • Running Up That Hill (12" Mix)
  • Be Kind To My Mistakes
  • Under The Ivy
  • Burning Bridge
  • My Lagan Love
For one week only I'm happy to go out and buy some more copies if anyone wants either to trade a brand new shop-sealed CD for a US mid-price CD [title(s) by arrangement] or email me an Amazon $10 GC (non-promotional, of course) following receipt of the disc. NB) No "real" money to change hands and I'm not bothered how long the return part of the trade takes to be completed.

(Amazon have the imported remastered version for $19-99 whereas CDNow have two versions for between $20 and $30).