DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Where are all the electronic music fans? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/147811-where-all-electronic-music-fans.html)

Dayewalker 10-04-01 11:38 PM

Where are all the electronic music fans?

I know there are more of you around here besides myself because I've seen quite a few people make posts about electronic music artists. :)

Whether you like house, progressive house, deep house, Chicago hard house, UK Hard house, trance, epic trance, progressive trance, goa trance, drum and bass/jungle, breakbeats, 2-step, garage, hardcore, happy hardcore, techno (which is a sub-genre of electronic music and not the whole genre itself as many people try to claim), or whatever. :) Post here and lemme know who ya are! :D

mljones99 10-04-01 11:56 PM

trance is pretty cool

ps- i grew up in longview (age 2-15) and then lived in Henderson (age 15-18)

Dayewalker 10-05-01 12:01 AM

Originally posted by mljones99
trance is pretty cool

ps- i grew up in longview (age 2-15) and then lived in Henderson (age 15-18)

I like pretty much all of the sub-genres of electronic music, but I'd have to say that my current favorite is drum and bass. :) I guess you could say that it's basically the heavy metal of electronic music :)

ps. - I've been living here my whole life, but I noticed that you live in Austin now. :) I've been down there about 30 times or so in the past year and a half :D

mljones99 10-05-01 12:09 AM

Originally posted by Dayewalker

I like pretty much all of the sub-genres of electronic music, but I'd have to say that my current favorite is drum and bass. :) I guess you could say that it's basically the heavy metal of electronic music :)

ps. - I've been living here my whole life, but I noticed that you live in Austin now. :) I've been down there about 30 times or so in the past year and a half :D

how old are you and what school district did you go to?

but to keep this on topic... I am pretty new to electronic music... haven't really explored all the different sub-genres.... just trance, and well, dance type stuff because now we have a electronic music radio station but its mainly the same stuff you here at a club.

TheBang 10-05-01 02:01 AM

Re: Where are all the electronic music fans?

house, progressive house, deep house, Chicago hard house, UK Hard house, trance, epic trance, progressive trance, goa trance, drum and bass/jungle, breakbeats, 2-step, garage, hardcore, happy hardcore, techno
Can someone explain the differences. I listen to a lot of stuff casually, but I don't know what kind is what.

RoQuEr 10-05-01 07:32 AM

Can someone explain the differences. I listen to a lot of stuff casually, but I don't know what kind is what.
Start here: http://www.plato.nl/e-primer/
Then go here: http://www.ishkur.com/features/ the guide to electronic music has good clips of all the subgenres, and the guide to rave culture is a good read, just take it with a grain of salt.....

Pikul 10-05-01 08:48 AM

Some favorite styles (and their labels):

Tech/micro-house - Scape, Kompakt, Ernst...
Experimental dub - Chain Reaction, Basic Channel, M, Burial Mix...
Detroit - Planet E, UR, KMS, Transmat...
Drum'n'bass - (up to about '96) Metalheadz, Prototype, No U-Turn...

Recent faves:
Herbert - Bodily Functions
Dettinger - Oasis
Spacek - Curvatia
Dabrye - One/Three
Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children
Avalanches - Since I Left You
Green Velvet - Green Velvet
Andrew Weatherall - Hypercity
Thomas Brinkmann - Rosa
Urban Tribe - The Collapse of Modern Culture

Precious 10-05-01 08:58 AM

I'm a new convert to techno/trance courtesy of one of my workmates but I'm not yet at the stage were I want to go to an event. I'm not into drugs at all and it seem improssible to keep going at that pace until 6am without them.

Dayewalker 10-05-01 10:42 AM

Originally posted by Precious
I'm a new convert to techno/trance courtesy of one of my workmates but I'm not yet at the stage were I want to go to an event. I'm not into drugs at all and it seem improssible to keep going at that pace until 6am without them.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to stay going until 6am without the aid of drugs. :) If you go to those events for the right reasons, then you shouldn't need drugs because the music itself is better than any drug you can get. :)

Also:

mljones - I'm 20 years old and I went to Hallsville. :)

mljones99 10-05-01 11:15 AM

Also:

mljones - I'm 20 years old and I went to Hallsville. :)

Ah, If I had any kind of school spirit I should hate you cuz I went to Pine Tree up until my last couple of years.... ah, the things we did back in the day in the name of rivalry.

mljones99 10-05-01 11:15 AM

Re: Re: Where are all the electronic music fans?

Originally posted by Todd B.

Same with me...

RoQuEr 10-05-01 11:31 AM

You'd be surprised how easy it is to stay going until 6am without the aid of drugs. :) If you go to those events for the right reasons, then you shouldn't need drugs because the music itself is better than any drug you can get. :)

:thumbsup"
It's hard to dance all night, but that's what the chillout room is for. I probably spend as much time chatting as I do dancing.

Pikul 10-05-01 11:32 AM

Go to this site and do a search for each style of electronic music you'd like to find out about; it'll give you a description and a number of examples that are hyperlinked. You can start off with something simple like 'house' and you can work from there.

RaptorsFan 10-05-01 12:05 PM

Drum and Bass, Hard Step, Jungle!!!!!

A lot of Jungle has went down hill in the past 3 or 4 years but I have enough tapes to get me by!

Dayewalker 10-05-01 02:29 PM

Originally posted by RoQuEr

:thumbsup"
It's hard to dance all night, but that's what the chillout room is for. I probably spend as much time chatting as I do dancing.

I'm glad to see that you agree with me. :) I've spent a lot of the past year and a half going to raves and out of the 30 or so that I've gone to, I've only been on something at 4 of them. I personally can't stand to be on drugs when I'm at a rave because for one, I can't ever remember as much of what goes on, and also I don't dance as much when I'm messed up. :D

Dayewalker 10-05-01 02:30 PM

Originally posted by mljones99

Ah, If I had any kind of school spirit I should hate you cuz I went to Pine Tree up until my last couple of years.... ah, the things we did back in the day in the name of rivalry.

No hard feelings whatsoever. :) I have absolutely no school spirit now and I think I had even less when I was still in school. Hallsville is nothing but a little hick town where nobody has anything better to do then spread rumors and gossip about each other. I'm GLAD to be out of there!

Jackskeleton 10-06-01 05:44 AM

The thing with Ambiant music that bothers me is that after some time, to much stuff just starts sounding the same. Love the Electronica sound and all its many sub folders.

favorite bands

Underworld
Rabbit on the moon
Chemical brothers
DJ TRON
Sigur Ros (My god, there new stuff is amazing)
daft punk
Groove Armada
Future sounds of London
Bjork
tom york's side projects
Bent
tricky
Aphex twins
ZERO 7
Air
Basement Jaxx
Beta Band
Kid Kola
Orbital
Crystal method

I have chilled with DJ friends at Local Los angeles shows. I like the sound, but i must admit, after a while, the sound is just the same. still great to relax to and play.

Alien Redrum 10-06-01 10:02 AM

One of my favorite cd's I used to own (before it was stolen) was The Orb's Dark Side of The Moon. A work of art.

I prefer trance, but I couldn't give you a favorite band because I don't know what the dj's were spinning when I used to go to the clubs.

-Steve

Dayewalker 10-06-01 10:40 PM

Originally posted by tictacboy
I prefer trance, but I couldn't give you a favorite band because I don't know what the dj's were spinning when I used to go to the clubs.

-Steve

Honestly, I don't think they're really classified as "bands" so to speak, but more along the lines of producers. :) There are definitely a lot of good electronic music producers though. :D

I just picked up a couple of awesome trance CD's tonight while I was at Hastings.

I got DJ Tiesto - Magik Seven Live In Los Angeles

and

Gatecrasher - Discotech Generation

Tiesto is just too incredible for even words. :D

DJLinus 10-07-01 11:33 AM

Although I'm not into it as much anymore, I still like drum n bass. Jump-up is good for parties and some of the darker stuff is great to chill to.

I've been into more downtempo stuff lately. Must be showing my age.

Also, I know I'm gonna get ragged on for this, but I've never stopped liking "Big Beat." Sure, it's music for commercials, but there are some great party tunes out there in this genre. Does that make me hip for liking a music no one else likes? I'm a bit unsure.

About the only genres that I dislike are NY house (never really got into that diva stuff) and the distorted, Atari Teenage Riot-type music.

As much as I love electronic music, I still think it's laughable that a new sub-sub-genre is created virtually every week. I can see how it can confuse those outside of "the scene." But, that's the nature of the beast, I guess.