DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Best Music Artist when Performing ACOUSTICALLY ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/147745-best-music-artist-when-performing-acoustically.html)

Original Desmond 10-04-01 06:35 PM

Best Music Artist when Performing ACOUSTICALLY ?

Which normal music artist do you think performs best acoustically ?

I think George Michael due to his amazing voice is great acoustic.

Bon Jovi are very underrated acoustically. I thought their acoustic version of living on a prayer at AMerica tribute for heros was outstanding.

uberjoe 10-04-01 07:30 PM

I like it everytime U2 performs "One," even though Bono has lost much of his voice.

Lokimok 10-04-01 07:40 PM

What do you mean by "normal music artist"?

For me, Neil Young is very high on the list. The best concert I ever went to was August 27th, 1989 - Neil Young outdoors at the New York State Fair. He played a few on a piano & was joined by 2 friends on a couple of songs, but most of it was just Neil with his guitar & harmonica doing some kind of mutant indian dance. I regret not recording it.

Dayewalker 10-04-01 07:51 PM

Just for the heck of it, I'd love to see some bands like Slipknot, Mudvayne, Soil, etc... playing some acoustic sets :D

Original Desmond 10-04-01 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Lokimok
What do you mean by "normal music artist"?

For me, Neil Young is very high on the list. The best concert I ever went to was August 27th, 1989 - Neil Young outdoors at the New York State Fair. He played a few on a piano & was joined by 2 friends on a couple of songs, but most of it was just Neil with his guitar & harmonica doing some kind of mutant indian dance. I regret not recording it.

sorry for the confusion, by normal music artist i mean a music artist who DOESN'T perform Just acoustically

I just wanted to make sure i didnt get responses of Acoustic only music artists but normal music artists who occasionally perform acoustically

Josh H 10-04-01 10:41 PM

Alice in Chains.

Da Thrilla 10-04-01 11:53 PM

Staind

mljones99 10-05-01 12:00 AM

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Staind

I was thinking the same thing.... their MTV unplugged show was good (even though its not really unplugged but still)

MJKTool 10-05-01 01:19 AM

Alice in Chains was awesome on their accoustic DVD

gregx55 10-05-01 01:21 AM

How can we forget Clapton?

Precious 10-05-01 03:42 AM

Definitely Clapton.

palebluedot 10-05-01 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Desmondp

sorry for the confusion, by normal music artist i mean a music artist who DOESN'T perform Just acoustically

I just wanted to make sure i didnt get responses of Acoustic only music artists but normal music artists who occasionally perform acoustically

I have seen Neil Youg on 10 different occasions in as many years and only once has the concert been all acoustic. Young is usually "plugged" in. Neil gets my vote too.

I would say one of the best acoustic performances I have ever seen was Stevie Ray Vaughan about 15 years ago in a small club just him and a acoustic guitar. It was a performance I will never forget and I doubt will ever be matched again.

Natalie Merchant comes to mind as well as The Allman Brothers. I saw the Allman Brothers in concert about 8 years ago and they played for about 3.5 hours and in the middle of it they did a 45 minute acoustic set, it was great.

mtucker 10-05-01 07:48 AM

Perhaps it's the fanboy in me talking, but I really enjoy Pearl Jam's acoustic performances. The 'Porch' performance on MTV unplugged was especially 'moving'.

grunter 10-05-01 10:00 AM

Hands down - Bob Mould. He's ten times as powerful acoustic than he ever was with Husker Du or Sugar.

Meatpants 10-05-01 10:06 AM

Originally posted by mtucker
Perhaps it's the fanboy in me talking, but I really enjoy Pearl Jam's acoustic performances. The 'Porch' performance on MTV unplugged was especially 'moving'.
Put me down for <b>Pearl Jam</b> too.

Also <b>Ben Harper</b> and <b>Frank Black</b>

woofman 10-05-01 10:50 AM

Smashing Pumpkins

Burnt Alive 10-05-01 08:15 PM

Mike Ness.

Drexl 10-06-01 08:56 AM

Paul Simon

JonTurner 10-08-01 02:23 AM

Pearl Jam, of course :D

But the Alice In Chains Unplugged album is definitely worth mentioning. As for the Staind show the other night, I didn't really dig it, though for the most part, I really like Staind. Their music just didn't have near the power unplugged as it does electric (most notably It's Been Awhile)

tofu 10-08-01 03:03 AM

i've always liked seeing stone temple pilots perform unplugged.

but pearl jam and alice in chains are also great when they go acoustic

big whoppa 10-10-01 11:01 AM

Mariah Carey was great on her MTV unplugged set. Annie Lennox is one of those with a voice suited to an acoustic performance. Hall & Oates also have done their earlier work acoustically.

Electric2k 10-11-01 10:52 AM

Tenacious D :p

CKMorpheus 10-12-01 04:27 PM

Nine Inch Nails has some great acoustic songs. :)

purplechoe 10-14-01 11:11 PM

Alice in Chains

Rubix 10-15-01 03:14 AM

cobain, kurt cobain