DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Today's CDs 10.01.01 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/146751-todays-cds-10-01-01-a.html)

Oliver Clothesoff 10-01-01 11:31 AM

Today's CDs 10.01.01

now: Elvis Costello "King of America"

later:
-Johnny Cash "Love"
-Super Furry Animals "Radiator"
-REM "Monster"
-Screeching Weasel "Bark Like a Dog"
-PJ Harvey "Life in Ecstasy" (b-side collection)
-Guided by Voices "Bee Thousand"

no question; proceed as normal.

Pikul 10-01-01 11:40 AM

Hmph. Wow.

Ides of Space - There Are No New Clouds*
Deep Purple - Fireball (I'm not kidding)
Herbert - Bodily Functions
Temptations - Cloud Nine
Wipers - Box Set

*Anyone who is a fan of early '90s shoegaze (Ride) and mid-'90s US indie rock (Seam, Versus) should dig this record. They're a new Australian band on Better Looking. I believe the record comes out this or next week. They make me think of a non-stoner, non-slacker Dinosaur Jr with the same level of skill but a complete lack of flashiness/guitar heroics.

I'm question-less.

anglagard 10-01-01 11:44 AM

Swimming Pool Qs - Blue Tomorrow
Primus - Antipop
The Beatles - Past Masters Vol. 1
The Strawbs - Bursting at the Seams
Poundhound - Massive Grooves
Ken Watson - Assembly
XTC - Wasp Star
Sandy Denny - Who Knows Where the Time Goes

Yancey 10-01-01 12:12 PM

Beatles -- Past Masters Vol. 1
Beatles -- Past Masters Vol. 2
Beatles -- Live at the BBC
Beatles -- Anthology Vol. 1
Beatles -- Anthology Vol. 2
Beatles -- Anthology Vol. 3
Beck -- Odelay
Chuck Berry -- Great 28
Big Black -- Hammer Party
Big Black -- Songs About F*cking

I really want that Temptations album Pikul. All I have is Psychadelic Shack by them.

So it's the new music forum... huh.

Pikul 10-01-01 12:18 PM

The version of Cloud Nine is actually part of an import two-fer with Puzzle People, released last year. I listened to both of those records (my Dad's vinyl copies) a lot when I was young and couldn't resist picking it up. I'm guessing that they'll eventually come out in the States -- after all, the same thing has happened with the Jackson 5 catalog.

Yancey 10-01-01 12:23 PM

Originally posted by Pikul
The version of Cloud Nine is actually part of an import two-fer with Puzzle People, released last year. I listened to both of those records (my Dad's vinyl copies) a lot when I was young and couldn't resist picking it up. I'm guessing that they'll eventually come out in the States -- after all, the same thing has happened with the Jackson 5 catalog.
As often happens, I read that Mojo feature on the making of the album and really wanted to hear it. Add to that my obsession with the O'Jays and Spinners lately and I obviously need to track down that record. But I also need to save money. Hmm...

stevevt 10-01-01 12:25 PM

listened to
Magnet New Music Sampler 21

listening to
Wilco - "Being There"

Question of the Day:

Is there anywhere online selling the resissue of "My Aim is True" for a decent price? Bonus points if the store carries indie stuff.

Oliver Clothesoff 10-01-01 12:26 PM

Originally posted by stevevt

Question of the Day:

Is there anywhere online selling the resissue of "My Aim is True" for a decent price? Bonus points is the store carries indie stuff.

Check out Spun.com. They have it for $14.99, but you can trade in for store credit.

I've had nothing but good experiences with them, and they have a great selection of indie.

El Scorcho 10-01-01 01:02 PM

So far just Weezer - Weezer (2001) and Suicide Machines - Destruction by Definition

Giles 10-02-01 04:07 PM

Oliver Clothesoff: If you dont already own it, I highly recommend the new Super Furry Animals album "Rings Around the World", I havent heard if and when it will make a Stateside release, but the import, which you can get pretty inexpensively from Amazon.co.uk. is my favourite album of the year.

bluesman 10-02-01 04:26 PM

Ryan Adams - Gold
Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow (SACD)
Boz Scaggs - Dig (DVD-Audio)
Buddy Guy - Sweet Tea