Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the WILDEST concert you've ever been to?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

What's the WILDEST concert you've ever been to?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-05, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by palebluedot
No one could ever top GG Allin in the wildest show department. His contempt and hatred for his audience was matched only by his pure anger and hate for himself. His final goal in life was to kill himself...on stage. However he overdosed on Heroin after a show in New York which killed him.

I saw him at the Metro in Chicago and it was the sickest, wildest concert I have ever been to.
A man after my own heart. I wonder how Unk is doing these days?
Old 02-02-05, 10:36 AM

I saw the Impotent Sea Snakes a few times. I wonder if they are still around?
Old 02-02-05, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

King Diamond at Bogart's in Cincinnati on the "Them" tour... Started out with a news crew there, pre-show, interviewing fans as we all waited to get in. The usual questions about King Diamond / Satan and all that bullshit... Then there was a small group of preacher types trying to save our souls and telling us how King Diamond is a tool a Satan and blah, blah, blah. Cut to the show... Armored Saint opened and towards the end of their set a fight broke out near where I was sitting (up near the bar - if you've ever been to Bogart's, you know the area). Well, dude #1 hits dude #2 so hard - in the chest - that dude #2 drops dead. Literally. This occurs about 20 feet from where I'm sitting with my friends (of course, to add to the drama, we had just finished torching a fatty). Show stops, paramedics come in, pronounce dude #2 D.O.A. and bag him right there on the spot. Dude #1 is long gone by now, I have no idea if they caught him or what. So anyhoo, after a long break in the gig, King Diamond comes on and plays his show... Opens the set with a "whomever you pray to, say a prayer for the deceased" message and then rocks out for 90 minutes.

Been to a ton of wild shows with the drinking, drugging and great masses of twisted humanity but that King Diamond show definitely sticks out in my memory.
Old 02-02-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You win!

King is a cool guy. I partied with him in LA backstage at a Metallica concert in '89. Very, very cool. And open-minded.
Old 02-02-05, 04:37 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Motley Crue 1997 - details need to be spilled in the Adult Forum.
Old 02-02-05, 07:11 PM

Nirvana, Dec. 1993 in NY~~Only because I hate mosh pits and there was this older yuppie woman in front of me that clearly didn't belong there. I'm not sure why she was there, but the concert was great, and little did I know it would be the only time I would see these guys. Cobain killed himself only a few months later.
Old 02-02-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NIN 6/9/00 george, wa. a giant mosh pit on blacktop. nin paused after the 3rd song to urge people to help the bleeding ones up. i saw a guy with a piercing ripped out of his lip.
Old 07-15-06, 10:42 PM

Gotta go with "Deftones" on the U-Fest in Phoenix. Except it wasn't in 1998. It was more like 1996. Yep....those were the days. I heard Peter Steele nailed Chino in the adam's apple though that night in the bar...
Old 07-16-06, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
1. Pantera/Slayer/Angel of Death or Morbid Angel and some other new band... It was general admission with no seats at Long Beach Arena and the slam pits were wild. I never saw so many White Power, Aryan, and Nazi tattoos in my life. In fact, I aw one racist fuck take out a Mexican guy who was minding his own biz in the pit. I mean he slammed the guy with all he had several times. I actually saw him target the guy when he 1st came over tot he pit. It was wild.
Yep. It was Morbid Angel and Static X.

Excellent show. Static X was cool, since it was right after Machine came out. Morbid Angel rocked, but I wasn't too familiar with their music at the time. I don't like Slayer, so I spent their set boozing it up. When Pantera came on, it was total chaos. I've never seen a band with so much raw energy and crushing sounds. I remember seeing people bleeding all over the place, being carried out by paramedics, and smashing security guards between the stage and the barricades.
Old 07-16-06, 11:23 AM

woodstock 99, burn baby burn
Old 07-16-06, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by tbird
Gotta go with "Deftones" on the U-Fest in Phoenix. Except it wasn't in 1998. It was more like 1996. Yep....those were the days. I heard Peter Steele nailed Chino in the adam's apple though that night in the bar...
Thank you for correcting me almost a year and a half later. I appreciate it.
Old 07-16-06, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ratt at the San Diego sports arena 1986 New Years Eve show.
Old 07-16-06, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveNinja
I saw GG Allin in San Francisco in like 94, it was about 1.5 monthes prior to his death. It was nuts, i was scared and my friend and i vowed never to see GG again unless he was in a cage.
A good friend of mine saw GG in Knoxville. GG started shitting on stage and flinging it at the crowd. My friend and his buddies were near the front and made a run for it with GG chasing behind. They thought they'd made it out OK until one of the guys noticed that another one had GG's shitty handprints on the back of his jean jacket.
Old 07-16-06, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
2. Slayer.... They were opening for Judas Priest and I was working as an usher in the front section. Before Slayer came on the majority of the fans in the seats in our area were older Priest fans in their 30's and older and very mellow. Once the lights went out and Slayer's opening music came on the young slayer fans rushed to the front and pushed the older fans back. I mean not only were there threats of ending Slayer's set from the building's management, but they turned the lights on to discourage the "evil slayer fans" from getting too crazy. Yeah right.... Anyway, when the set was over all the seats in the 1st 30 or so rows were literally in a big pile in front of the the stage. We had to rush to get them back into place so those who paid for those seats could sit in them.
I saw that tour in 1988 in San Diego. My friend and I had floor seats, but I knew that wasn't a good idea - so we found someone in the lower level section (first section off the floor) to trade seats with. It was the right call. The Slayer fans were just nuts - and security clearly had a game plan going in: don't try to stop them, it will just cause a riot. So the Slayer fans had the run of the floor, and no one in security even tried to stop them from going on the floor from other sections. It got a little scary when Tom Araya had the crowd chanting, "KILL, KILL, KILL!!!" with their fists in the air. Kind of freaky and more than a little unsettling.

Priest came on later and played a great show. I've passed on seeing Slayer ever since.

In 2000 when Iron Maiden did their Brave New World tour the crown in San Diego was really rowdy. There were a couple girls on the floor doing strip teases, trying to get some attention during sound checks. The crowd was pretty well worked up before the show. During the show the crowd on the floor was tearing up seats and fighting - and Bruce Dickinson is not down with that. He got into it with one guy who was moshing into some girl and actually hurting her. Bruce was just about ready to jump into the crowd and pummel the guy - and he said if you see anyone else causing injuries to beat the shit out of them! It was a pretty tense moment, but Maiden played a great show both before and after that incident. That was probably the rowdiest crowd I've ever seen outside of that Slayer crowd (and Maiden fans are usually pretty cool, so I don't know what was up with that).
Old 07-16-06, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Thank you for correcting me almost a year and a half later. I appreciate it.

LOL....sorry....I was telling a friend about the concert just the other day and I couldn't remember if it was 95 or 96 that this happened in so I "googled" kupd ufest deftones and your post came up. Still didn't help me on the exact date but I know for sure it wasn't in 98 cuz I was already married in 98 and I was a big concert goer prior to marriage. I've been up here in Oregon for over 4 years...so they call this place the "cricket pavillion" now? Didn't it used to be called the sky west arena? Anyway, I was the dingy broad that went up while Tonic was playing "open up your eyes" earlier in the day and started dancing...no one else "in the pit" just little ol me in front of thousands of people. Then some biker dude and his ol' lady started dancing with me and then a few others. Tonic broke out in some Irish jig song all rocked out and then the moshers came down and the party was on!! I was there primarily to watch Type O Negative. We left when Chino started inviting people to get closer up to the stage though. It was crazy. I watched some security personel beat down a girl. I helped her up and then me and boyfriend got the heck out of there. We watched the outcome on the news the following evening.

Last edited by tbird; 07-16-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black Flag, Flipper, Sic Pleasure, Urban Assualt at The Valencia Tool and Die in 1982/83 in San Francisco.
A cramped basement club with 8 foot high ceilings, packed to the gills with skinheads, long hairs and assorted riff raff. Lots of fights, little to no security and the overall pervasive feeling that a riot could break out at any time. Fuckin' scary stuff.
This coming from someone who grew up in the SF HC punk scene and a veteran of
hundreds of shows.....this one was particularly 'wild'. I recall one of my friends getting summarily pummeled for no apparent reason. The air was thick with smoke, sweat and tension....

Though i guess nothing tops the Great White show at 'The Station'.
Old 07-16-06, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts
Summer of 1973 went to Edgar Winter Group/Savoy Brown/Jo Jo Gunn at the Mississippi Valley Fairgrounds in Davenport, IA. Winter was on last and during the song "Tobacco Road" the cops pulled the plug on the power. Something about a sound ordinance I think. The band started to go after some cops on the stage but roadies held them back. People started throwing liquor bottles and stuff at the cops on the stage.
About a month later, same place, T-Rex/Three Dog Night. One of the light towers fell and almost hit Marc Bolan
Memorial Day 1974 at Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines. All day concert with ZZ Top as headliners. Suppose to start at noon. Around 2pm some guy came out on stage and said the show was cancelled. Crowd of people stormed the stage and tore it apart.
Fall of 1974. Steppenwolf/Rare Earth. The crowd was pressing against the door to get in and pushed some guy right through the glass of a glass door.
Summer 1977. Peter Frampton at Royals Stadium in Kansas City. A bunch of frisbees had collected on the ball catcher behind home plate. Some guy climbed up there and was throwing them out to the crowd. A couple cops got up there to get him and he started fighting them. Others joined in. Outnumbered, all the cops retreated to somewhere and the crowd had the run of the place for the remainder of the show. I remember seeing a cop get a beer dumped on his head from someone on a overhead walkway.
Went to see Aldo Nova/Cheap Trick in 1983. Some chick got onto the stage and was chasing Aldo Nova around. He was runnning back and forth across the stage with her right behind him. He never missed a note. Security finally grabbed her. Then during Cheap Trick somebody down front was lighting firecrackers and throwing them on stage. The band stopped mid-song and said they would walk off if it didn't stop.
Old 07-16-06, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by tbird

I found it...1996

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/issue...0-17/news.html

and then I found some footage...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search=Ufest
Old 09-29-15, 03:47 AM

Re: What's the WILDEST concert you've ever been to?

Being a fan of several different genres of music I've been to well over 100 concerts over the last 35 years. Some very memorable, very wild shows seem to occur in Phoenix more than the norm. Saw The Ramones w/ Black Flag. Crowd threw chairs throughout the show. Saw R.A.T.M. at a tiny venue. Very violent crowd. I was actually injured at a Slipknot concert, a show that was immortalizex in their first live album. But by far the craziest, most outrageous, most violent show in Phoenix history has to be Motley Crue in 97. Toward the end of the show Vince Neal invited the entire crowd to join them on stage. Instantly a riot broke out as hundreds of crazed fans made it on stage. Nikki Sixx bashed a fan over his head with his bass. It was an unbelievable ending to a fantastic show.
Old 09-29-15, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ancient thread bump.

Wildest concert I've been to: Unsane in Boston in early 1992. This is one of the most aggressive bands ever and the crowd consisted solely of die hard, grizzled punk and metal fans. Within a few months, the drummer ODed and the band was never the same.

Wildest DJ set I've been to: Junior Vasquez in his prime at Tunnel circa 1996. That was a crazy, crazy scene at 4 am. This was an extremely notorious club at the time.
Old 09-29-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Bad Brains - New York City - 1989
Slayer - New York City - 1988
Old 09-29-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 205 Likes on 119 Posts

November 17, 1984 - The Ramones & Black Flag @ The Hollywood Paladium

http://kroq.cbslocal.com/2013/08/08/...alladium-show/

April 15, 2003 - Foo Fighters from the front row, after surviving The Transplants we made it through 1 Foo song before my wife going over the baracade, and me and my friend fighting our way out. I was bit on the shoulder just to tell you how it was.
Old 09-29-15, 01:52 PM

Slipknot in 2000, pure mayhem (it was this concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmQsK3G-sv0)
Babyshambles 2004, we had to stand through like 5 lousy support acts only to be finally told that Babyshambles would not be performing, ended up in the crowd storming the stage and destroying and looting the equipment.
Slayer in 2001, there were pits everywhere, I try to avoid them but got an elbow and a knee in the face (from a crowdsurfer).
50 Cent and G-Unit, they were booked at the Reading festival to go on before Green Day, there was so much stuff being thrown at the stage (it was this concert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMdDcuGPrgU)

Last edited by The Black; 09-29-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 09-29-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

The 2 that come to mind immediately:

Jello Biafra last year - gave me a little glimpse of how it was like back in the early eighties. Fights, people running up on stage and knocking shit over, jumping off the stage and landing on their heads, etc.

Morrissey-Kill Uncle tour - not uncommon for people to stage-crash at Morrissey gigs, but there were so many fans on stage by the encore, Morrissey had to leave the stage and just the band played the last song or so, with a few hundred fans dancing.