Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The one and only PUNK ROCK thread

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-01-01, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't even know if this thread will take off, but whatever...

--

What are you listening to lately?

I've been listening to a lot of Sixer. If you like Social Distortion you'll like these guys. They're a rock 'n' roll/street punk/oi! type band with really catchy melodys.

I've also been into the The Murder City Devils. They're a rock 'n' roll/punk band with a keyboardist. Very rough and at times dark sounding but cool nonetheless.

The new Unseen album "The Anger & The Truth" is awesome as well. They're on BYO Records now.

I Farm has been in my CD player a lot too. They're like a grindcore band (think Dillenger Escape Plan musically) with one dude singing new school punk vocals and harmonys and another guy screaming (literally) back up vocals. This is the first band in a long time that's blown me away by how much I liked them.

Also Anti-Flag has written a new song about the WTC bombings called 911 For Peace which I think is their best song yet. You can click here to download it.

Last edited by Nosebleed; 10-01-01 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-01-01, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anything by the Descendents
Old 10-01-01, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
listening to Screeching Weasel's "Anthem for a New Tomorrow" as we speak....

their best album? i think so.
Old 10-01-01, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Dammit, Nosebleed, you beat me to this thread!

I've been listening to Propagandhi - How to Clean Everything / Less Talk More Rock lately, as well as Samiam's newest album (love it!). AFI's newest effort is also great.
Old 10-01-01, 12:26 PM

I love the Murder City Devils. Them and RFTC, Refused and International Noise Conspiracy are my favorite recent punk bands. You heard the MCDs were breaking up? This is their farewell tour.

But has anyone heard of Hickey? They released an album on Probe Records in 1994 that is one of the best hardcore/pop-punk albums I have ever heard. Great timechanges and melodies. I hate pop-punk but I love that album. You guys should track it down if you can. The album is remarkable.
Old 10-01-01, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

woofman - I've been listening to their "Milo Goes To College" lately. The last 3 songs, Jane is Dead, Hope and Marriage are my favorites. I really like these guys when the write songs like the ones I mentioned but they've got too many stupid songs.

Oliver Clothesoff - I'd say my favorite has to be "Kill The Musicians."

DTSC - The new AFI is pretty good. Have you seen the video for The Days Of The Phoenix? I can't believe how goth these guys turned.

Yancey - Yep, just as I start getting into them they break up. If they come by here I'm going to try my best to go. I have heard of but haven't heard Hickey. Aren't they a Swedish band? Maybe I'm thinking of The Hives.

To keep things on topic for this site,Burning Heart Records has a DVD coming out with 61 videos of their bands on it called Hang The DJ.
Old 10-01-01, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by Nosebleed

Yancey - Yep, just as I start getting into them they break up. If they come by here I'm going to try my best to go. I have heard of but haven't heard Hickey. Aren't they a Swedish band? Maybe I'm thinking of The Hives.
Hickey are from SoCal. They are defunct. The Hives are Swedish. The new album comes out in a couple weeks. Refused were also Swedish.
Old 10-01-01, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Early X.
Old 10-05-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Yancey
But has anyone heard of Hickey? They released an album on Probe Records in 1994 that is one of the best hardcore/pop-punk albums I have ever heard. Great timechanges and melodies. I hate pop-punk but I love that album. You guys should track it down if you can. The album is remarkable.
Hickey are actually from San Francisco. I kind of knew Matty Luv (singer/guitar player), he liked my zine, NinjaZine, years ago. I'm friends with Aaron Probe, the guy who did Probe Records and Probe Magazine. I saw Matty Luv at Aaron Probes wedding back in april. Aaron got married and his wife is expecting, last weekend i was at a bbq he put together at Rancho Seco and he said he might put out a new zine about his experiences having a baby/kid. He's way into the A's and way into DVDs, he has like 144 movies in his Netflix que. My band, The Four Eyes, and the Bananas played his wedding.

The Hickey CD (of their 7 inchs) is hard to find because I just got a copy of it and I've wanted it for years. Aaron Probe doesnt have any copies. Some other guy has a box of them but he doesnt want to get rid of them or something.

Hickey was a great band, they went on to form Yougut, who i never heard. Prior to Hickey, two of them were in the F-U-C-K Boyz, who were just as good as hickey. I saw them open for Jawbreaker at Gilman st, once.

Anyone here every heard of Sewer Trout or The Bananas?

daveninja.com
Old 10-06-01, 01:49 AM

My favorites were:

Social Distortion
Misfits
Ramones
Minor Threat
Minority
Skin Barn
Circle Jerks,

Punk of today sucks.
Old 10-06-01, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Now... once you talk about Punk.. you need to talk about the look. Who really has the Punk Rockers Uniform going? I'm surprised that many punks still comform into the whole sterotypical image of what a punk rocker looks like instead of just going with there own look and enjoying the music and there own indivualism.
Old 10-06-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Drink 'Til She's Cute
Dammit, Nosebleed, you beat me to this thread!

I've been listening to Propagandhi - How to Clean Everything / Less Talk More Rock lately, as well as Samiam's newest album (love it!). AFI's newest effort is also great.
Have you listened to Propagandhis newest album? If you haven't defin pick it up - pretty good.

As for me, i've been listening to a lot of Falling Forward, Elliot, B'ehl, Los Crudos, and Spitboy
Old 10-06-01, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by saoirse
My favorites were:

Social Distortion
Misfits
Ramones
Minor Threat
Minority
Skin Barn
Circle Jerks,

Punk of today sucks.
Well that's a broad generalization. If you think that all new bands only play skatepunk and poppy stuff a la Pennywise and Blink 182, you're very wrong. Have you even bothered looking?
Old 10-06-01, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Now... once you talk about Punk.. you need to talk about the look. Who really has the Punk Rockers Uniform going? I'm surprised that many punks still comform into the whole sterotypical image of what a punk rocker looks like instead of just going with there own look and enjoying the music and there own indivualism.
Those are all the crusty punks who think you have to look like you live on the street and listen to bands like Crass, Discharge and Abrasive Wheels to be a true punk. It depends on the people, some say it's a way of life and a style of dress in addition to the music. To me, I just really enjoy the music. But I think the skinheads have more a of a uniform look going on then the punks do. You gotta have the pale jeans, shaved head, Doc Martens, braces and the Ben Sherman golf shirt.
Old 10-08-01, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by DaveNinja

Hickey are actually from San Francisco. I kind of knew Matty Luv (singer/guitar player), he liked my zine, NinjaZine, years ago. I'm friends with Aaron Probe, the guy who did Probe Records and Probe Magazine. I saw Matty Luv at Aaron Probes wedding back in april. Aaron got married and his wife is expecting, last weekend i was at a bbq he put together at Rancho Seco and he said he might put out a new zine about his experiences having a baby/kid. He's way into the A's and way into DVDs, he has like 144 movies in his Netflix que. My band, The Four Eyes, and the Bananas played his wedding.

The Hickey CD (of their 7 inchs) is hard to find because I just got a copy of it and I've wanted it for years. Aaron Probe doesnt have any copies. Some other guy has a box of them but he doesnt want to get rid of them or something.

Hickey was a great band, they went on to form Yougut, who i never heard. Prior to Hickey, two of them were in the F-U-C-K Boyz, who were just as good as hickey. I saw them open for Jawbreaker at Gilman st, once.

Anyone here every heard of Sewer Trout or The Bananas?

daveninja.com
Nice! You are the first person I have talked to who actually knows anything about Hickey. Do you think any of the guys would have any interest in doing an interview about the band? I have been considering writing a piece about that Hickey disc being the lost treasure of the '90s. The only information I have found has been on the Probe website. When I ask people about them it seems everyone has had a song of theirs on some mix tape and always wanted to find more. A friend of mine gave me the CD for my birthday last year, I don't know how he got it.
Old 10-08-01, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picked up Armchair Martian - Monsters Always Scream and No Use For a Name - Live in a Dive yesterday. They both f*ckin rule.

For those who don't know of Armchair Martian, they're led by Chad Price, who is now the lead singer of the band "All", who is basically the same band as the Descendants, only with a different singer.
Old 10-09-01, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Nosebleed

Those are all the crusty punks who think you have to look like you live on the street and listen to bands like Crass, Discharge and Abrasive Wheels to be a true punk. It depends on the people, some say it's a way of life and a style of dress in addition to the music. To me, I just really enjoy the music. But I think the skinheads have more a of a uniform look going on then the punks do. You gotta have the pale jeans, shaved head, Doc Martens, braces and the Ben Sherman golf shirt.
i always though it was funny that punks and skinheads would scoff at people in their gap clothing, calling them 'sheep'. didn't they ever notice that they all wore the same crap too?

i think i saw an ad for a misfits show in LA this week. anyone know what's up with that?
Old 10-19-01, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to listen to Agent Orange during my younger skate punk days. Circle Jerks were good also.