DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   [Why?] Punk/ska cover songs [merged] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/146666-%5Bwhy-%5D-punk-ska-cover-songs-%5Bmerged%5D.html)

Dr_Evil 10-01-01 12:36 AM

Punk/ska cover songs

I 've been trying to compile a big collection of punk/ska cover songs. I have a lot of NFG, Me First and the Gimme Gimmes, NOFX, Save Ferris, Berlin Project, etc... Any songs you could list would be much appreciated. (DTSC I'm looking in your direction :))

gregx55 10-01-01 12:44 AM

MxPx

Dr_Evil 10-01-01 12:46 AM

Originally posted by gregx55
MxPx
I have summer of 69 covered by MxPx are there any others ?

gregx55 10-01-01 01:24 AM

Yeah they have an album call On the Cover.
They do Take on me and some other good one's. Check it out.

sundog 10-01-01 01:24 AM

Have to call up the classics:

Circle Jerks - "Golden Shower of Hits"
(Close to You, Afternoon Delight, Love Will Keep Us Together, Having My Baby, Along Comes Mary, and D-I-V-O-R-C-E all in five minutes time)

Fear - "We Gotta Get Out of This Place"

palebluedot 10-01-01 01:28 AM

Fishbone
- Shaky Gorund (Original by Parliment)
- Freddys Dead (Original by Curtis Mayfield)

Nosebleed 10-01-01 03:14 AM

Check out the Punk Charbusters series of albums, 2 CD's of nothing but cover songs. They're up to volume 4 now.

Wanted to add that Manic Hispanic is a cover band that covers punk songs but adds a Latino twist to the lyrics. Funny stuff. Their album is called "The Recline Of Western Civilization" -ptth-

El Scorcho 10-01-01 11:59 AM

*Takes a deep breath*

Albums:

Before You Were Punk, Vol 1 (Vagrant Records) (80's songs)
Before You Were Punk, Vol 2 (Vagrant Records) (80's songs)
Punk Goes Metal (Fearless Records)
All Me First & The Gimme Gimmes albums
New Found Glory - From Screen to your Stereo EP (Movie Soundtrack covers)
Mxpx - On The Cover EP
Metal Rules (EMD/Priority)
Duran Duran Tribute Album (Mojo Records)
Goldfinger - Darrin's Coconut Ass (Live from Omaha)
Oldies But Goodies (Negative Progression Records) -- Features Mxpx, face to face, etc.
Face to Face - Standards & Practices (bunch of 80's covers by Pixies, Pogues, INXS, etc.)

Songs:
Reel Big Fish - Take On Me / Unity (Operation Ivy cover) / Hungry Like the Wolf
Pennywise - Down Under / Surfin USA / I Get Around / Stand by Me
Down By Law - (I would walk) 500 miles
Propagandhi - I Want U to Want Me
Suicide Machines - It's the End of the World As We Know it
Goldfinger - 99 Red Balloons
Hi-Standard - California Dreamin
Strung Out - Every Breath You Take
Screeching Weasel - I can See Clearly Now
One-Hit Wonder - Sloop John B
Homegrown - Barbie Girl
Limbeck - I want It That Way
Allister - I Want It That Way / Fraggle Rock Theme
Face to Face - Telling Them (Fugazi)
The Ataris - Boxcar (Jawbreaker)
No Use for a Name - Redemption Song / Fairy Tale of New York
Lagwagon - Mamma Said Knock You Out / Brown Eyed Girl
Me First & The Gimme Gimmes - Country Roads
Save Ferris - Come on Eileen
The Vandals - My Heart Will Go On
Gameface - Time after Time
Rancid - No Woman No Cry
Catch 22 - Don McLean
Shades Apart - Tainted Love
Living End - Tainted Love
The Bouncing Souls - (Don't You) Forget about me
Bracket - 867-5309
Less Than Jake - 867-5309 / We're Not Gonna Take It
The Offspring - I wanna be sedated

More to come later, when I get home from work.

Dayewalker 10-04-01 07:49 PM

I love the Vandals covers of Ball & Chain by Sublime and also the song Summer Lovin' from Grease. :D

DaveNinja 10-05-01 04:25 PM

Lets see what punk covers i can think of (my brain doesnt work that well anymore):

D.I. - Uncontrollable urge
Sid Vicious - My Way/Want to be your Dog
Ramones - Surfing Bird
Screeching Weasel - Runaway/the first Ramones LP
Various Artists - Tv Theme covers (Furious George, Boris the Sprinkler...)
Mr T Experience - Spiderman theme/stop, Some Body want to love you/Jelly Bean Attack
Addolesents - house of the rising sun
Circle Jerks - Fortunate Son
The Lizards - Bad Moon Rising
The Tiki Men - Surfing Senorita
The Bananas - Steak Knife
NOFX - straight edge
Teengenerate - right side of my mind
the Vindictives - turning japanese/money changes everything/like ten more that i cant think of - from a double 10 inch set

There are a lot more that i cant think of right now.

also we, the Four Eyes, have tons of covers recorded, see our discography to see if they're any you want, and i can mail an mp3 of it to you.

daveninja.com

Original Desmond 10-28-01 10:10 PM

Why are there soo many COVERS in the Punk/Ska Music Genre ?

i really don't know much about the genre but there does seem to be a hell of a lot of covers, especially covers of 80s songs in the Punk/Ska genres

why's that ?

do the bands feel it's cool to redo a song which obviously wasn't originally designed for punk in the punk style ?

some are pretty cool

Burnt Alive 10-28-01 11:59 PM

I wouldn't really say that punk music genre has more covers than others, but right now the whole POP/punk (or as I like to call it..."lame suburban rock" :D) genre is pretty big with the kiddies (MTV slaves)...and the bands that cater to them are all very young. When bands are young, they usually have quite a bit of covers mixed in with their original material.
Older "real" Punk and Ska artists usually stuck/stick to original material, and if they recorded a cover song it was never a single.
Some of today's artists base their entire career on one cover song. [cough]AlienAntFarm[/cough]

But, covers have been around in just about every musical genre for a long time. In the 50's, 3-4 artists would have a hit with the exact same song at the same time.
Right now, it's just the trendy (lame) thing.

do the bands feel it's cool to redo a song which obviously wasn't originally designed for punk in the punk style ?
Not anymore. Today it's just a joke. The "punk" bands you see today are just trying to be funny and stuff.
When artists like The Clash or The Damned recorded covers they did it as a tribute (they really liked the song/artist or identified with it) or they wanted to piss people off (See Sid Vicious' covers of "Something Else" and "My Way" for an example of both points).

SnoopDogg 10-29-01 12:11 AM

Well I do think most of them are really good and I hope they continue.

El Scorcho 10-29-01 12:09 PM

For the record, Alien Ant Farm has explicitly stated that they never intended for Smooth Criminal to be a success and that they really want to see their first single, "Movies" played a lot more.

Radio stations got a hold of Smooth Criminal and then it spread like wildfire across the country while their first single got lost in the craziness.

Yancey 10-29-01 12:44 PM

I think most ska bands do a lot of covers because they aren't talented enough to write their own material. Coming up with horn parts is hard work, especially for a handful of mediocre musicians.

DaveNinja 10-29-01 12:46 PM

Being in a punk band, its fun to do cover songs, especially when you play live a lot. Common known covers are good for crowd pleasers for people who dont know your originals. Obscure songs are good because people dont know if they;re originals or not and it spreads knowledge about a great unknown band or song. People always liked it when we would cover the Ace of Bass 'i saw the sign' song like 4 years ago. Now we cover songs like the Back to School movie song and lots of Buckner and Garcia because theyre good songs that most people have never heard.

daveninja.com

Original Desmond 10-29-01 01:05 PM

i downloaded 3, count em 3 different Punk covers for Naked eyes's Always something there to remind me

2 were pretty good

dork 10-29-01 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Yancey
I think most ska bands do a lot of covers because they aren't talented enough to write their own material. Coming up with horn parts is hard work, especially for a handful of mediocre musicians.
I think that's the reason for most covers these days, not just ska ones. Plus it's a three-for-one: You don't have to write your own song, you're certain to to get extra sales from some of those who liked the original song and you get to increase your cred by basking in the reflected glow of some great -- yet possibly obscure -- artist.

Oh, and don't get me started on "ironic" covers.

Zarathustra999 10-29-01 05:50 PM

3 words -- Lack of Creativity. And as was already pointed out, the entire music industry is being plagued by this right now. It seems the only way for most people to break into the mainstream is by taking somebody else hit song and trying to recycle it. The sad part is that the youger audience usually thinks the song is completely original and have no knowledge of the real original recording. :(

El Scorcho 10-30-01 04:42 PM

Please don't let bands like Alien Ant Farm, Save Ferris, et al. misguide your opinions here.

Most punk bands cover other bands because it's fun -- plain and simple. Most of you keep thinking that punk band members are trying to be new and innovative when they couldn't really care less about doing such. They just want to play and will leave the groundbreaking innovations to your Bob Dylans and your Pink Floyds because they really don't feel the desire to do such.

dork 10-30-01 05:20 PM

Originally posted by DTSC
Please don't let bands like Alien Ant Farm, Save Ferris, et al. misguide your opinions here.

Most punk bands cover other bands because it's fun -- plain and simple. Most of you keep thinking that punk band members are trying to be new and innovative when they couldn't really care less about doing such. They just want to play and will leave the groundbreaking innovations to your Bob Dylans and your Pink Floyds because they really don't feel the desire to do such.

I don't really demand originality; if I did, I'd probably end up buying two CDs a year (instead of my usual three). I love Rancid, even though most of their best stuff is basically Clash songs with incoherent vocals. The Groovie Ghoulies rip off the Ramones, but there are no more Ramones so I listen to the Groovie Ghoulies. There is nothing original about the Muffs but, God bless 'em, I'll gladly consume anything they feed me.

I just think that unless you have some new take on an old song, covers should be reserved for live performances. It's nothing but cynicism on the part of record companies to release covers as singles hoping to cash in on the popularity of the originals. And most of these covers are just rerecordings that don't differ in any way from the original versions. So it's fine that they just want to play, but do they have to record it?

El Scorcho 10-31-01 12:48 PM

Originally posted by dork

I don't really demand originality; if I did, I'd probably end up buying two CDs a year (instead of my usual three). I love Rancid, even though most of their best stuff is basically Clash songs with incoherent vocals. The Groovie Ghoulies rip off the Ramones, but there are no more Ramones so I listen to the Groovie Ghoulies. There is nothing original about the Muffs but, God bless 'em, I'll gladly consume anything they feed me.

I just think that unless you have some new take on an old song, covers should be reserved for live performances. It's nothing but cynicism on the part of record companies to release covers as singles hoping to cash in on the popularity of the originals. And most of these covers are just rerecordings that don't differ in any way from the original versions. So it's fine that they just want to play, but do they have to record it?

And you'll notice that most bands that release covers only do so after their fan base keeps requesting that they put it on CD. You'll notice that most punk bands don't even release their covers on any major release of their CD -- they're usually kept to split EPs or compliations of some sort.

As many cover songs that are on CD, there are TONS more that I see in concert that will never see the light of day on CD.

But bands that release a cover to get themselves into the limelight usually don't last more than 15 minutes. Alien Ant Farm will not be heard of at this time next year, just like Save Ferris went away after their Come On Eileen single was released.

JTH182 11-14-01 03:16 AM

For the record, I liked AAF before Smooth Criminal. :D Punk covers are great... check out New Found Glory or My Gay Uncle on WinMX. Britney, Juvenile, the Goonies theme, etc... It's all in good fun.

http://moviething.com/members/aboutm...jhlogogif2.gif

Thee_Creep 06-22-02 09:43 AM

The Misfits' "Rat fink"?

bears35 06-23-02 01:40 PM

H20 - Like A Prayer (Madonna)
The Vandals - Kokomo (Beach Boys)

Not sure - "Kids in America" (Kim Wilde)

auto 06-24-02 10:47 AM

Check out the Less Than Jake cd 'Greased' which includes several covers of the songs featured in the movie GREASE

Gdrlv 06-24-02 10:58 AM

Originally posted by DaveNinja

Mr T Experience - Spiderman theme/stop, Some Body want to love you/Jelly Bean Attack

MTX also covers "Don't Go Breaking My Heart," "Crash," and "Unlock Your Adjectives" on ...And the Women Who Love Them - Special Addition.

DodgingCars 06-24-02 12:32 PM

Vandals - So Long (From Sound of Music)
Vandals - Supercalifragilious... (sp?)

Less Than Jake - Dukes of Hazard, Luverne & Shirley, Gilligan's Island

Sublime - Scarlet Begonias (sp?)

Calibretto 13 - Ballroom Blitz

Five Iron Frenzy - It's Not Unusual (to be loved by anyone)

If I think of others I'll let you know.