DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   70's music... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/146655-70s-music.html)

JOE29 12-19-09 08:15 PM

Re: 70's music...

I was born in 64. I grew up listening to all of the 70's music. Really enjoyed most of it
minus the Disco era. There are too many good songs to mention but one of my early favorites was
shambala , one and a lot more of the Three Dog Night's hits.
Jim Croce was incredible. Cover of the Rolling Stone, Crocidile Rock- Elton John from the 70's was the best I've ever heard from him. The list goes on and on..too many to mention.

Just thought of something else- Boston's debut album was incredible. I played that over and over
I believe it was 1975 or 1976 that it was released. Every song- Every song on that album was great. Same thing with Aerosmith- Rocks.
Just too many to mention- I know after I sign off i'm going to think of a hundred more things to write.

Tarantino 12-19-09 10:49 PM

My favorite 70's artist is probably Led Zepplin. Almost anything off of Led Zepplin IV.

johnbook 12-20-09 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=nothingfails;9893201]True but there are still some people who still thumb their noses at disco because it "hurt" their precious rock music, when IMO, hip hop has done more to hurt rock than disco music ever did. Hip hop replaced rock a long time ago with what the "cool kids" are listening to.

Agree 100%

johnbook 12-20-09 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume (Post 9893391)
Some good music in the '70s, but I prefer the '80s.

Agree 100%

wm lopez 12-21-09 12:15 AM

[QUOTE=johnbook;9900845]

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9893201)
True but there are still some people who still thumb their noses at disco because it "hurt" their precious rock music, when IMO, hip hop has done more to hurt rock than disco music ever did. Hip hop replaced rock a long time ago with what the "cool kids" are listening to.

Agree 100%

So this proves how this generation is to blame for suck music.
Not only the artists, but the youth who bought and supported this rap crap.

CRM114 12-21-09 03:05 PM

I love all music after 1963 :) but I have to say the 60's and 70's rock music is THE best. Everything was new. Now everything is just built on that foundation.

statcat 12-21-09 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 9901831)
I love all music after 1963 :) but I have to say the 60's and 70's rock music is THE best. Everything was new. Now everything is just built on that foundation.

can't leave out the 50's

dhmac 12-22-09 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 9889344)
I dunno....I've been in the biz for well over 30 years in one capacity or another, everything from playing in bands to management to radio DJ to record store manager in NYC....and the last 15 years (or more) have been a great wasteland, with just the VERY occasional nugget from the goldmine that once gave us great veins of gold to be mined in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s...and a bit into the 90s....but grunge attempted to kill everything before it, and made everything after it seem unecessary (with the VERY rare exception, as I said above). And I'm by far the most open-minded musician I know of when it comes to different styles I enjoy listening to, except maybe for Dave Grohl, who also has good taste in tunes.

I agree 100%

And Billy Bob Thornton on a recent interview was talking about the state of music and said make two lists: the first of the great bands/performers whose music careers started by 1979 or any year earlier. Then make a second list of the great bands/performers whose music careers started in 1980 or any year later. The first list would be overflowing while the second list would run thin surprisingly quickly.

dvdsteve2000 12-22-09 08:57 PM

Wow, I saw this thread & though "Hey, that looks interesting!", lol...I started this thread 8 freakin years ago!! I still love the 70's stuff, it had an 'innocense' about it. I remember being a kid listening to AM radio and my Dad singing along to every song that came on, and listening to my Grandmother's Rod Stewart, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin records. I remember my sister singing 'Billy Don't Be a Hero', I shot the Sheriff, & 'The Night Chicago Died' like it was yesterday...great times. Early to mid 70's music reminds me of watching the movie "Stand By Me" for the first time. It was a great time. The first albums I bought were KISS-Hotter Than Hell & Lynyrd Skynyrd-One More For/From the Road.

..but that was the 'rock' side of the 70's, which was unbelievable, but the AM classics are just as good with Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Three Dog Night, etc... I like me some disco music, but before the disco craze hit it was hard to find a bad song, IMO.

big whoppa 12-22-09 09:58 PM

A lot depends on how old you are and what you grew up listening to. I was born in the late 60's but the best music for me was in the 70's and 80's.

The Bus 12-23-09 09:14 AM

So you finally admit that hearing music to which you have a deep-seated emotional childhood connection to... isn't matched by whatever tripe is being promoted by current hit radio?

You don't say.

Buttmunker 12-23-09 09:24 AM

Truth be told, First Officer Murdoch and I never heard music in our house during the 70's, and all my education and enjoyment of "discovering" the old music of the 50's, 60's, and 70's came of my own volition in the early nineties.

cungar 12-23-09 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9904791)
So you finally admit that hearing music to which you have a deep-seated emotional childhood connection to... isn't matched by whatever tripe is being promoted by current hit radio?

You don't say.

Yes but I feel sorry for people whose deep seated emotional childhood connection is to Li'l Wayne and Fall Out Boy.

Hiro11 12-23-09 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by cungar (Post 9904817)
Yes but I feel sorry for people whose deep seated emotional childhood connection is to Li'l Wayne and Fall Out Boy.

...which just goes to show we all have our prejudices. I think Li'l Wayne is actually really good and Fall Out Boy has at least as many virtues as what was on the radio in the 70s. I see what you're getting at but I think you need better examples.

Hiro11 12-23-09 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 9889344)
and the last 15 years (or more) have been a great wasteland, with just the VERY occasional nugget from the goldmine that once gave us great veins of gold to be mined in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and 80s...and a bit into the 90s

Please. How many albums listed over in the Best Albums of the Decade thread have you heard in their entirety? There's some seriously good shit in there, despite what you say. There was tons of great music in the 90s. Even if your tastes are stuck in pre-punk 70s rock, there's squidillions of bands apeing that stuff out there and doing it well (get The Hellacopter's "By the Grace of God" for one small example).

....but grunge attempted to kill everything before it, and made everything after it seem unecessary (with the VERY rare exception, as I said above).
That makes absolutely no sense. First of all, proper grunge was directly inspired by 70s rock. All of those archetypal Seattle bands were all ripping off Sabbath, Deep Purple and Zeppelin in their music and they carried those inspirations throughout their careers.

Secondly, I think when you're talking about grunge, you're actually talking about all the "alternative rock" bands that suddenly made the charts in the early ninties. The fact of the matter is that almost all of those bands had been bubbling under for years and then finally broke through. Also, all of them had their own sets of influences from earlier times, they just might not have been straight-up guitar-based hard rock. Some of them were more inspired by the list of albums from the 70s I posted earlier in this thread.

clckworang 12-23-09 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9889316)
Those song exists. You just lack the time it takes to find them and/or the open-mindedness to recognize them as great songs when you hear them.

It's not an insult. Ten years ago I was listening to a new album every day. Now it's one every two weeks, if that.

I agree with this. There is good stuff out there; it's just not as easy to find anymore. I remember growing up in the '80s that all the radio stations played all different types of music. You could hear Motley Crue, Michael Jackson and Don Henley all on the same station, perhaps in the same hour. It was all a big mixture. Now, everything is so segmented. It really forces you to go looking for what you like.

Originally Posted by Hiro11 (Post 9905277)
Please. How many albums listed over in the Best Albums of the Decade thread have you heard in their entirety? There's some seriously good shit in there, despite what you say. There was tons of great music in the 90s. Even if your tastes are stuck in pre-punk 70s rock, there's squidillions of bands apeing that stuff out there and doing it well (get The Hellacopter's "By the Grace of God" for one small example).

That makes absolutely no sense. First of all, proper grunge was directly inspired by 70s rock. All of those archetypal Seattle bands were all ripping off Sabbath, Deep Purple and Zeppelin in their music and they carried those inspirations throughout their careers.

Don't leave out punk! Yes, the big '70s arena rock was a big influence on alternative bands, but it was combining that arena rock with the speed and rawness of punk that really created the grunge sound. Surprised in a thread about '70s music that the great old-school punk bands of that era haven't been brought up.

clckworang 12-23-09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 9905400)
I think that you're confusing the phrase "inspired by" with "every bit as good as", which is a falsehood regardless of what year you were born. Popular music today is far too derivitive of, and not near enough of an homage to, music that came before it. If you don't agree...you have no clue what your talking about.

So if someone doesn't have the same opinion as you on music, they have no clue what they are talking about? Come on!

alfredsilver 12-23-09 09:17 PM

The 70's were great for music. Pink floyd, queen, pistols, ramones, clash, so many more.
Much more quality then the 80's in my humble opinion.

Mayoman 12-23-09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by alfredsilver (Post 9906120)
The 70's were great for music. Pink floyd, queen, pistols, ramones, clash, so many more.
Much more quality then the 80's in my humble opinion.

Agreed, the seventies also has less of a dated production sound than some 80's rock.

dhmac 12-24-09 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9904301)
A lot depends on how old you are and what you grew up listening to.

Yes, to a certain extent, some of it is nostalgia. But it all can't be explained that easily. For instance, I've been checking out a lot of the albums on Pitchfork's list of great '70s albums and a number of them are albums that I had never heard at all before so I had no nostalgia for them, so those are "new" to me and still most of the music sounds better than anything "actually new" I've heard in the past decade.

(Note that I call Pitchfork's list a list of "great '70s albums" instead of "top '70s albums" as they call it because, as good as the selections are, it leaves off far too many great '70s albums)