DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Hey all you (3 or 4) Wilco fans! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/145396-hey-all-you-3-4-wilco-fans.html)

badger1997 09-30-01 05:02 PM

I don't understand Reprise Record's response to this record either. Sure, it ain't "commercial" music and it wouldn't have gotten much mainstream radio airplay, but since when have those titles applied to Wilco. Reprise should have known what they had because Wilco has never been about songs that would get played on most radio stations or just making money with easily accessible songs.

I started to see Reprise's point about the record not being likely to commercially successful and not get any major radio play because it's more or less true, but then like I said before, Wilco has been that way for most of their career.

I think often times as die-hard fans of a band we are blind to some of that stuff and can't understand why they aren't more successful. Hell, I don't know. I love them and have loved them since a co-worked slipped me a copy of AM back in the early 90s but I went to see them in concert a couple years ago and my brothers, sisters and friends were like, 'Who?' So I took the opportunity to play them some of their CDs to try to get them into the band and they didn't want to bother after a few songs. They are great to me, but to too many other people, they just don't seem to care about anything that doesn't sound like 99 percent of the other popular songs out there. Kinda sad. :(

badger1997 09-30-01 05:05 PM

oh, and Via Chicago is still my favorite Wilco song of all time, although I Am Trying to Break Your Heart is damn good too. I still like the song Tweedy did with Jim Cuddy, "I'll Make Believe That She's You", better than anything else, but that's not a Wilco song so I guess it doesn't count. :)

Penny Lane 09-30-01 05:27 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
oh, and Via Chicago is still my favorite Wilco song of all time, although I Am Trying to Break Your Heart is damn good too. I still like the song Tweedy did with Jim Cuddy, "I'll Make Believe That She's You", better than anything else, but that's not a Wilco song so I guess it doesn't count. :)
Yeah, "Via Chicago" is probably my favorite, as well. While the lyrics are dark, they [disturbingly] can be identified with. CM says this song is "scary". :lol:

Via Chicago (Jeff Tweedy)

I dreamed about killing you again last night
And it felt alright to me
Dying on the banks of Embarcadero skies
I sat and watched you bleed
Buried you alive in a fireworks display
Raining down on me
Your cold, hot blood ran away from me
To the sea

I printed my name on the back of a leaf
And I watched it float away
The hope I had in a notebook full of white dry pages
Was all I tried to save
But the wind blew me back via Chicago
In the middle of the night
And all without fight
At the crush of veils and starlight

I know I'll make it back
One of these days and turn on your TV
To watch a man with a face like mine
Being chased down a busy street
When he gets caught I won't get up
And I won't go to sleep
I'm coming home, I'm coming home
Via Chicago

Where the cups are cracked and hooked, above the sink
They make me think
Crumbling ladder tears don't fall
They shine down your shoulders
Crawling is screw faster lash
I blow it with kisses
Rest my head on a pillowy star
And a cracked door moon
Says I haven't gone too far

I'm coming home
I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Via Chicago

I'm coming home
I'm coming home
I'm coming home
Via Chicago

Searching for a home
Searching for a home
Searching for a home
Via Chicago

Matt 09-30-01 06:52 PM

But you can look at Reprise Records, who have had artists like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell on their roster for years and years and years, and with an exception here or there, like with Young's "Harvest" or Joni's "Blue", those are two artists whose commercial success never came close to matching their critical acclaim. But yet Reprise let those two artists continue on, doing more or less what they wanted to, regardless of how many albums they sold.

But with Wilco and Reprise, it's an entirely different story. I don't have any sales numbers for any of Wilco's albums, but I would bet that each of their albums have had more sales than the last, easily. The fanbase and the "buzz" has been growing since A.M. was released in '95, so there is no doubt that no matter what Yankee Hotel Foxtrot sounded like, it was sure to have sold more copies than Summer Teeth, which I'm sure was their most commercially-successful album released to date. This is a band who have had documentaries made about them, who have done songs for soundtracks, who have opened for the likes of R.E.M. Wilco has always generated good word-of-mouth. When was the last time you heard anything but praise for the band?

I can't understand the difference between Reprise's handling of Wilco and their handling other artists like Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. I'm not that familiar with Reprise's history, maybe everyone that was there back in the seventies is long-gone now (probably so).

I don't know what radioplay has to do with it. In OKC, we are unfortunately stuck with what might be one of the worst radio markets in the country. The "rock" stations here (all two of them)
have never played a Wilco song, to the best of my knowledge, but at the same time, I've never heard a Joni Mitchell song on a local radio station, either.

I don't want to say that I would want to hear a Wilco song on the radio any time soon--they're one of those bands that while I want them to be successful, so they're around for a long time, at the same time, I don't want them to become a "big" band that everyone loves, much like what's happened with Radiohead since OK Computer came out. Nothing against them, as I love their music, but sometimes a group just isn't as special to you if everyone and their dog listens to them as well. I want Wilco to be my own little secret special band that only I and a few other people in-the-know listen to. . . :)

Penny Lane 09-30-01 07:13 PM

Originally posted by Virex

I want Wilco to be my own little secret special band that only I and a few other people in-the-know listen to. . . :)

I know what you mean. There's something about mass followings that make me feel like a cow in the herd. I tend to like more obscure bands such as Wilco.

stevevt 09-30-01 11:01 PM

My ears are still ringing (bad sign, I know) from the show tonight.

Definitely worth the money. Wilco played a looooong time; the near-capacity -- 510 people -- crowd was really into it.

If anybody else has a chance to see them live, I'd definitely recommend it. They really put on a good show.

Opening act Elf Power suffered from some early feedback problems and low vocal levels early on, but finished strong. I got to hang out with Andrew a bit after the show.

Three Day Delay 09-30-01 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Penny Lane

I know what you mean. There's something about mass followings that make me feel like a cow in the herd. I tend to like more obscure bands such as Wilco.

Same here. I have always loved being the only person in my friend-base that knew Wilco. Some others: Jellyfish, Forest for the Trees, Patty Griffith, Dandy Worhols. I used to feel that way about the BNLs, but they are now big-time.

Yancey 10-01-01 10:25 AM

Wilco have always been an extremely well-exposed band. Tons of features in magazines because writers love them. A huge rabid fanbase. Every album sells about 500,000 copies worldwide. In no way is Wilco a cult act. When perhaps the greatest songwriter since Elvis Costello is helming your band it's hard not to get noticed.

stevevt 10-01-01 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Yancey
Wilco have always been an extremely well-exposed band. Tons of features in magazines because writers love them. A huge rabid fanbase. Every album sells about 500,000 copies worldwide. In no way is Wilco a cult act. When perhaps the greatest songwriter since Elvis Costello is helming your band it's hard not to get noticed.
Jeff was downright pleasant and even comical last night -- joking about how he was wearing a sweater when it was so hot in the club, talking about how he was doing the greatest guitar playing of his life (Jeff to Audience: "It might not sound like much to you, but believe me, it's a big accomplishment for me").

Are you seeing them on this tour?

Yancey 10-01-01 10:42 AM

Originally posted by stevevt

Jeff was downright pleasant and even comical last night -- joking about how he was wearing a sweater when it was so hot in the club, talking about how he was doing the greatest guitar playing of his life (Jeff to Audience: "It might not sound like much to you, but believe me, it's a big accomplishment for me").

Are you seeing them on this tour?

I saw them last Thursday here in NYC. It was the 6th or 7th time I had seen them and definitely the best. Glenn Kotche is such a good drummer its disgusting, I had always loved his work with Jim O'Rourke. The new material is also their best yet. I've had the new record for a few months and am in love with it. Radio Cure is my favorite song by Jeff, even better than New Madrid or Black Eye.

I'm sure most of you know this already, but <i>YHF</i> is streaming off www.wilcoworld.net. Check neumu.com for more info.

Penny Lane 10-01-01 11:31 AM

Yancey- I haven't been able to get it to work from their website, for some reason. I've had to use other means to obtain the stuff..... :blush:

Yancey 10-01-01 11:35 AM

Yancey- I haven't been able to get it to work from their website, for some reason. I've had to use other means to obtain the stuff..... :blush:
Just make sure you buy it when it comes out early next year. That's all the band cares about, I am sure. You started listening to them recently, correct? What was the first song of theirs you heard?

Penny Lane 10-01-01 11:40 AM

Just make sure you buy it when it comes out early next year. That's all the band cares about, I am sure. You started listening to them recently, correct? What was the first song of theirs you heard?

Oh, I'll definitely buy it; they're my favorite band. I wouldn't dream of not buying it.
Uh... I heard bits and pieces of "I'm the Man Who Loves You" and "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" on their live radio that comes from their website. I couldn't hear it too well, though, because my computer's not on broadband.
Wait... are you talking about the first song of theirs I ever heard or the first of their new stuff?

Yancey 10-01-01 11:43 AM

Oh, I'll definitely buy it; they're my favorite band. I wouldn't dream of not buying it.
Uh... I heard bits and pieces of "I'm the Man Who Loves You" and "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" on their live radio that comes from their website. I couldn't hear it too well, though, because my computer's not on broadband.
Wait... are you talking about the first song of theirs I ever heard or the first of their new stuff?

Just how you first heard them. I first listened to them because I had been an Uncle Tupelo fan, so I didn't have that first experience of hearing Jeff's voice, etc. Just wondering what you first thought, that's all.

Penny Lane 10-01-01 11:51 AM

Just how you first heard them. I first listened to them because I had been an Uncle Tupelo fan, so I didn't have that first experience of hearing Jeff's voice, etc. Just wondering what you first thought, that's all.

Okay, I gotcha. Sorry... :)
My best friend at the time (my fiance now) bought me the Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Avenue I album for Christmas just because he thought there was one song on there that I would like. Well I loved the entire album (all the ones done by Wilco, anyway), and I just happened to run into a guy at a party that same night who liked them. He suggested I buy Summerteeth, and I was sold from there. I went back and bought A.M., and my fiance bought me Being There for my next birthday. Somewhere in there I bought an Uncle Tupelo cd, Still Feel Gone, although I like Jeff Tweedy's work more than Jay Farrar. I just ordered a Golden Smog cd a few days ago, curious. I'm a cd buying whore, that's for sure. :lol:

Yancey 10-01-01 12:16 PM

Okay, I gotcha. Sorry... :)
My best friend at the time (my fiance now) bought me the Billy Bragg and Wilco Mermaid Avenue I album for Christmas just because he thought there was one song on there that I would like. Well I loved the entire album (all the ones done by Wilco, anyway), and I just happened to run into a guy at a party that same night who liked them. He suggested I buy Summerteeth, and I was sold from there. I went back and bought A.M., and my fiance bought me Being There for my next birthday. Somewhere in there I bought an Uncle Tupelo cd, Still Feel Gone, although I like Jeff Tweedy's work more than Jay Farrar. I just ordered a Golden Smog cd a few days ago, curious. I'm a cd buying whore, that's for sure. :lol:

I would say to pass on Golden Smog. Really not that good. But definitely buy the March 16-20 Uncle Tupelo album. I bet you anything that would become your favorite.

When they were in Uncle Tupelo Jay was definitely stronger than Jeff, but now it is the opposite. Jay's new album is dull dull dull, just like most Son Volt and most alt-country. I really hate the genre.

Penny Lane 10-01-01 12:36 PM

I would say to pass on Golden Smog. Really not that good. But definitely buy the March 16-20 Uncle Tupelo album. I bet you anything that would become your favorite.

When they were in Uncle Tupelo Jay was definitely stronger than Jeff, but now it is the opposite. Jay's new album is dull dull dull, just like most Son Volt and most alt-country. I really hate the genre.

That's funny; I've only herad good things about Golden Smog.

I like the ya'llterative stuff, and I like Jay Farrar okay. I just prefer Jeff Tweedy over him. I dunno why. :)

Yancey 10-01-01 12:45 PM

That's funny; I've only herad good things about Golden Smog.

I like the ya'llterative stuff, and I like Jay Farrar okay. I just prefer Jeff Tweedy over him. I dunno why. :)

I'm more of a punk, soul, indie, hip-hop, bluegrass, garage rock kind of guy. I just can't stick with a genre.

Golden Smog are fine, but it isn't particularly good music. I can't remember the last time I pulled any of their albums out.

Penny Lane 10-01-01 12:57 PM

I'm more of a punk, soul, indie, hip-hop, bluegrass, garage rock kind of guy. I just can't stick with a genre.

Golden Smog are fine, but it isn't particularly good music. I can't remember the last time I pulled any of their albums out.

I like different stuff, as well. Anything except r&b and rap; that kind of thing just doesn't appeal to me.

That cd should be in today, so I'll let you know how I like it. I've never really heard much by them.

badger1997 10-01-01 02:20 PM

Well, it's all personal taste, but I would disagree with Yancey's opinion on Golden Smog. I love them and they are one of my favorite bands as well. I would highly recommend Down By the Old Mainstream and Weird Tales, although the first one is better. Great music all around with strong writing and great vocal talent from Tweedy and the rest. The song sung by David Pirner on the first album is great and so is every song performed by Tweedy. Definitely worth a buy.

Yancey 10-01-01 02:29 PM

Originally posted by badger1997
Well, it's all personal taste, but I would disagree with Yancey's opinion on Golden Smog. I love them and they are one of my favorite bands as well. I would highly recommend Down By the Old Mainstream and Weird Tales, although the first one is better. Great music all around with strong writing and great vocal talent from Tweedy and the rest. The song sung by David Pirner on the first album is great and so is every song performed by Tweedy. Definitely worth a buy.
"Please Tell My Brother" on Weird Tales is definitely one of my favorite Tweedy songs. And "Glad & Sorry" and "Pecan Pie" are nice, but I don't think the albums are as deep as any of the Wilco or UT stuff. Of course it's just my opinion.

Penny Lane 10-01-01 03:54 PM

Well the one I bought was Weird Tales , and I like it so far. I like the Tweedy acoustic one, especially. "Please Tell My Brother". Good stuff, guys.

reverb 10-02-01 05:51 PM

Cool to see Wilco fans here... I've known Jeff and Jay, casually, since the beginning, from Belleville and Cicero's days. Anyone see Coffee Creek?

Just a clarification... California Stars is not a Wilco song. Woody Guthrie wrote it, and Wilco arranged music and recorded it. Though they lay claim to it now I suppose.

Also, for those who are particularly drawn to Jeff's more personal songs, like Please Tell My Brother, seek out Wherever, which was an outtake from UT/Anodyne. Exceptional song.

Too bad that two of the original members are no longer in the band--Bennett and Croomer. Don't know how the new guys are, but hopefully they'll be close to as good as the old guys were.
There's also Max Johnson. He left after Being There. Max, Ken and John with Jay and Jeff and sometimes Eric Heywood had been the final incarnation of UT... Except for their final ever performance, where original UT drummer/Son Volt drummer Mike Heidorn took Ken's seat. Speaking of pedal steel, you'll never hear better than Lloyd Maines' contributions to UT/Anodyne.

Incidentally, overall I don't care for Golden Smog either. I had fun at the shows, but it was just a diversion for everyone.

Also, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a great album;) I feel it's their best.

CaptainMarvel 10-02-01 05:58 PM

Originally posted by reverb
Just a clarification... California Stars is not a Wilco song. Woody Guthrie wrote it, and Wilco arranged music and recorded it. Though they lay claim to it now I suppose.
Ehh. In my mind, it's a Wilco song. It can be Guthrie's lyrics, but Wilco gave it some sort of life.

reverb 10-02-01 06:00 PM

There's an exceptional song on YHF called Jesus, Etc. I was listening YHF a lot the days both before and after the attack on the WTC. These lyrics were obviously particularly poignant:

tall buildings shake
voices escape
singing sad sad songs

strung down your cheeks
bitter melodies
turning your orbit around

voices whine
skyscrapers are scraping together
your voice is smoking
last cigarettes
are all you can get
turning your orbit around