Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Queen "We Will Rock You" DVD, SPECIAL EDITION! FULL SPECS!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 09-10-01, 03:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following quote is taken directly from the URL "http://www.pioneer-ent.com/queen.html", about PIONEER Ent. future re-release of We Will Rock You on DVD:

"THE ULTIMATE ROCK BAND PERFORMS THE DEFINITIVE VERSIONS OF ALL THEIR GREATEST HITS QUEEN WE WILL ROCK YOU
DVD Boasts New High Definition Film Transfer From Original Negative, THX Certification, Audio Commentary, Photo Gallery And More Available On October 2

LONG BEACH, CA - Touted as one of the most popular and influential rock bands in the world, Queen releases their greatest performances on DVD and VHS in Queen We Will Rock You on October 2 from Pioneer Entertainment. Boasting a newly restored film transfer, the DVD and VHS feature 22 hit songs, including "We Will Rock You," "Somebody To Love," "Under Pressure," "Bohemian Rhapsody," and "We Are The Champions," among others.

Formed in 1972, Queen has retained a fanatical following around the world. Led by the theatrical lead singer, Freddie Mercury, Queen also consisted of Brian May on guitar, Roger Taylor on drums and John Deacon on bass.

Since the 1970's, Queen has recorded over 19 albums and has played together for over 20 years. Queen hits "We Will Rock You" and "We Are The Champions" have become recognizable international anthems for all sports events. On November 24, 1991, Freddie Mercury died of AIDS. This year Queen was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Digitally re-mastered with THX certification, the Queen We Will Rock You DVD will be anamorphic and contain a photo gallery, discography, motion menus and an audio commentary by producer and director Saul Swimmer. In addition, the DVD features a trivia game, band biography and timeline, new packaging and Easter Eggs.

The Queen We Will Rock You DVD is available in Dolby DTS Digital Surround for $29.98 and in Dolby Digital 5.1 for $24.98."
--------

Um, what a no-brainer for me to buy! Finally, a GREAT Queen DVD! Now bring on their other concerts! Whoo-hoo!
Old 09-10-01, 07:44 AM

I was a huge Queen fan as a teen plus rock and roll in general, but I honestly dropped out of the music scene several years ago.
Having said that, I at least hope to rent this and check these guys out. It will transport me back in time for a few hours.
Old 09-10-01, 09:37 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

And the DTS version is $5 more because...............................

I hate that $hit.
Old 09-10-01, 10:24 AM

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
Cool...am looking forward to it.
Old 09-10-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ah i`m there
Old 09-10-01, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody have a Music/Concert DVD that is in DTS?

If so, does DTS really do that much for the music as apposed to PCM or DD 5.1 audio?

The majority of the music/concert DVDs I have are PCM Audio with an optional DS 2.0 track. I really can't see what a DTS track would do for a concert... especially an old concert that has been digitally remastered.

Anybody think its worth the extra $5 for a DTS soundtrack for a music concert?
Old 09-10-01, 02:27 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

The one DTS concert DVD I have is the Eagles HFO. It is phenominal (sp?). I think DTS concert DVDs can be awesome. Supposedly the Tina Turner is very very good too.

However, if faced with a dual release, is it worth $5 more, dunno. I don't see why it should cost more other than if the studio is doing a smaller run of DTS "as a bonus to fans" or the like and they are trying to pass on the cost of licensing the DTS codec from DTS corporate.

That now said, go get The Eagles (assuming you like their music). And one cool thing about it, the DTS Audio only track of 7 Bridges road......Close your eyes, listen carefully, and you will hear a different member of the band out of each speaker (not counting the subwoofer of course, you'd need Bowzer to use that......)
Old 10-02-01, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone pick this up yet,

tommy
Old 10-02-01, 12:52 PM

Anyone pick this up yet
It looks like the DVDs have been delayed - Image lists them as streeting 10/30 now...
Old 10-02-01, 05:36 PM

Does anybody know what aspect ratio WWRY will be in?

I hope it isn't just matted 1.85:1, I hate it when a movie is in that ratio.

I know, I know, that was the way it was meant to be and the 4:3 version only contains extra screen info that wasn't originally intended.

But somehow my conscious mind just doesn't buy that !
Old 10-06-01, 05:06 PM

Well if you like Santana, get the Supernatural DVD. It has both DD 5.1 and DTS and my wife and I think it sounds better. So get it or at least rent it and compare for yourself.
Old 10-08-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry, i know this thread is very old, but how does the audio sound? i have never seen this before but would want to see some reviews before i make my purchase
Old 10-10-02, 02:21 AM

It's certainly never LOOKED any better and the sound is pretty wicked too (at least the DD track is, cannot comment on the DTS.) DVDfile.com has reviewed it, go over there and do a search for it.
Old 10-10-02, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 223 Likes on 157 Posts
I'll confirm the awesomeness of the DD track. Big, loud and bombastic, yet subtle when it needs to be.
Old 10-10-02, 05:45 PM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The original QUEEN will NEVER sound (or look) better!