Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-30-01, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The man has not released an all-new studio album for almost 10 YEARS.

We keep hearing little tidbits here and there...I remember in the mid-to-late 1990s how it was "just around the corner", "it'll tie in with his millenium thing," etc.

Meanwhile he makes little contributions to soundtracks, diddles around with his African musician buddies playing white-daddy English "Paul Simon" games, and looking more and more like...I dunno, uncle Fester?

Now, I'm hardly ever one to tell artists to "hurry up" because they run on their own timetables. I've waited a long time for certain books and films and albums...but c'mon, 10 YEARS!!? And when it does come out it may end up being even weaker than US (which still had some damn good material on it).

Does anyone know anything?
Old 08-30-01, 04:51 PM
Banned

Re: WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

Originally posted by Jepthah
2+2=4 ...

How's that?

Old 08-30-01, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

Originally posted by Soup Nazi

2+2=4 ...

How's that?

Lotta help you are.

You're being assigned to minilove (alias The Ministry of Love), pal.

We all know that 2 + 2 = 5. Especially Peter Gabriel.
Old 08-30-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

from www.petergabriel.com

Peter has been working with Robert Lepage (who directed The Secret World Live Tour) in Quebec. Their working relationship originated some years ago when Michael Morris at Cultural Industry brought Le Pages into some Theme Park Meetings, which resulted in him collaborating with Peter and directing the Secret World Tour.

More recently Lepage approached Peter about joint venturing a new form of Cabaret featuring an eclectic mix of artists and technologists. He had premiered this late last year and has now opened a new version in Quebec.

Special offer: $35 (regular price $48), through Ticketmaster Charge-By-Phone : +001 (212) 307-7171 (quoting code REAL)

PG has started work on music intended for a new film, Rabbit Proof Fence.   He is collaborating on this project with Stalwarts Richard Evans and David Rhodes.

Rabbit Proof Fence, from director, Phillip Noyce, is based on a true story and adapted from Doris Pilkington's book "Follow the Rabbit Proof Fence" by screenwriter, Christine Olsen.  Doris Pilkington is the real life daughter

of Molly, the central character, who is forcibly 'removed' from her aboriginal family at the age of 14 along with two other girls (11 and 8 years old) to be ‘trained’ as domestic servants (under Australian Government Policy at the time).  The story follows the girls as they try to make their escape, spending three months surviving the outback whilst at the same time trying to keep ahead of the authorities who are hot on their trail.

Peter sings on Afro Celt Sound System's 'When You're Falling' (radio single), which will be available on the new Afro Celt Sound System Album, scheduled for release in early June 2001. Click here to listen to the track now.

Peter has contributed towards a television documentary on his friend and colleague, Youssou N'Dour, and was interviewed for the programme at the beginning of April. The programme, Youssou N'Dour: Star of Africa, is scheduled to be aired on Channel 5 on the 29th July 2001 (time to be confirmed).

On the 1st May 2001 the WOMAD Seattle line up will be announced and Peter will be present via satellite link from London.

The Harbourfront Centre in Toronto, Canada, is due to announce (on 1st May) it's chosen fifteen of "today's most compelling creators," which will include Peter Gabriel. The centre is producing World Leaders: A Festival of Creative Genius - designed to convey the idea that it is not politicians but artists and creators who shape material culture. A "series of customised homages" will be delivered next autumn.

PG's video message for the Zero Landmine Campaign is being aired on TBS (Tokyo Broadcasting System) on April 30 (Monday) - and there is a simultaneous livestream service of the climax of the program on the internet - at: www.tbs.co.jp at around 23:00 JST / 14:00 GMT for approx. 20 minutes.
Old 08-30-01, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

tofubomb,

thanks a bunch, but I am not ignorant and lazy enough to not have utilized a search engine.

I wanted to know about the forever-delayed album known sometimes as "UP" (R.E.M. joked when they released their album by the same name 2 years ago that they should have titled it "Peter Gabriel's UP" ) because I thought someone might have some tidbits or insider-type stuff. Reading the alt.music.peter-gabriel group was always an exercise in pain for me and, well, it looks like many of the fansites haven't been updated in ages.

Now playing: PG3 (the "melt" cover album w/Games without Frontiers)...what a genius he is...or was.
Old 08-30-01, 05:11 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
Re: WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

diddles around with his African musician buddies playing white-daddy English "Paul Simon" games
Old 08-30-01, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tofubomb,

thanks a bunch, but I am not ignorant and lazy enough to not have utilized a search engine.

I wanted to know about the forever-delayed album known sometimes as "UP" (R.E.M. joked when they released their album by the same name 2 years ago that they should have titled it "Peter Gabriel's UP" ) because I thought someone might have some tidbits or insider-type stuff.
sorry about that. didn't mean to imply anything. i've heard from some music news sites that he's currently in the studio working on UP and its supposedly going to be ready by spring 2002 although there's no set date.
Old 08-30-01, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tofubomb

i've heard from some music news sites that he's currently in the studio working on UP and its supposedly going to be ready by spring 2002 although there's no set date.
Which means that we can expect it around 2006 after Peter goes M.I.A. after setting up a leper colony in Ghana

I liked him better when he was full of angst and neurosis. After around 1988, everything started going downhill...
Old 08-30-01, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God I remember that rumored album from around 3 years ago...man...

Gabriel and Floyd are both MIA...Floyd is going on 7 years since there last studio album...
Old 08-30-01, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker
God I remember that rumored album from around 3 years ago...man...

Gabriel and Floyd are both MIA...Floyd is going on 7 years since there last studio album...
This of course presupposes that you 1) consider the Gilmourosaur to actually exist in the incarnation specified as "Pink Floyd" and that you 2) want them to come lumbering back to your local stadium for an overpriced evening of remote rock.

OK, I admit that I saw them twice in 1994 and enjoyed myself...
Old 08-30-01, 06:34 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Whatever happened to Ugly Kid Joe? They've been gone about as long, right?
Old 08-30-01, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Whatever happened to Ugly Kid Joe? They've been gone about as long, right?
Last known info was that thanks to Governor Jeb Bush's innovative prison policies, they are currently sex slaves a Florida penetentiary resulting from their arrest for a performance of an entire set of 2 Live Crew songs circa 1991.
Old 08-30-01, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

really? is that true? . . well good for them
Old 08-30-01, 07:36 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe he's followed his dream and become a sledgehammer.
Old 08-30-01, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AndyCapps
Maybe he's followed his dream and become a sledgehammer.
Old 10-31-01, 04:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Seeing as how the subject recently arose again....

http://www.petergabriel.com/moment/latestnews.html
"Tchad Blake has arrived at Real World Studios for the final mixing of PG tracks for the forthcoming UP album, following contributions from various Real World Artists as well as others. Although the final release date is not yet set, the plan is to complete final mixing by the New Year. [....]In September Peter was interviewed for a BBC Radio 2 documentary about his life story. The two hour programme is entitled 'Games Without Frontiers' and will be aired sometime in December 2001."
FYI a lot of BBC Radio content can be obtained online (streaming radio or somesuch) so Gabriel fans outside the UK should check often from late November so that they can listen to the show when it is finally broadcast: Radio2 ....

.... or perhaps it'll be archived here: link
Old 10-31-01, 04:30 PM
Mod Emeritus

More BBC/Gabriel stuff: http://www.bbc.co.uk/later/artists/s...v_pg_new.shtml
Old 10-31-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Harness the power of the Otter

Ask and you shall receive.

$29 + shipping at CDNow (cause it's an import), or about $15 including shipping from http://www.sanity.com.au/info.asp?item=2022510.

(It's a 2000 release).
Old 10-31-01, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Well I follow the Genesis mailing list relatively closely and they are hearing about a summer release for UP. Also, his early releases are getting remastered and being re-released. I know 1,2,3, and plays live I believe are all getting treatment. I have the release schedule around here somewhere.

SPY
Old 10-31-01, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Seeing as how the subject recently arose again....

Originally posted by benedict
http://www.petergabriel.com/moment/latestnews.html
"Tchad Blake has arrived at Real World Studios for the final mixing of PG tracks for the forthcoming UP album, following contributions from various Real World Artists as well as others. Although the final release date is not yet set, the plan is to complete final mixing by the New Year. [....]In September Peter was interviewed for a BBC Radio 2 documentary about his life story. The two hour programme is entitled 'Games Without Frontiers' and will be aired sometime in December 2001."
FYI a lot of BBC Radio content can be obtained online (streaming radio or somesuch) so Gabriel fans outside the UK should check often from late November so that they can listen to the show when it is finally broadcast: Radio2 ....

.... or perhaps it'll be archived here: link

Great! So, translation: Mid-2003 release after subatomic knob-twiddling complete. Visionary masterpiece to be unloved by critics and the buying public; lyrics on the sub-audible frequency level, instruments performed by marsupial endangered species.

I love you, PG.
Old 10-31-01, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jepthah,

Here's the track listing from Amazon UK:

1. The Story of Ovo
2. Low Light
3. The Time of the Turning
4. The Man Who Loved the Earth/The Hand That Sold Shadows
5. The Time of the Turning [Reprsie]/The Weavers Reel
6. FATHER, SON
7. The Tower That Ate People
8. Revenge
9. White Ashes
10. Downside-Up
11. The Nest That Sailed the Sky
12. Make Tomorrow

BTW - the title of the album is Ovo (was released 06-12-2000). And here's the link for the Amazon site:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...qid=1004569948

Hopefully this helps - it's actually cheaper at Sanity (link below), Amazon.co.uk is about $20 US shipped - but if you can get an Amazon.co.uk certificate (I can refer you for a 5 pound discount*) you get it even cheaper (about $13 - $14).

*Email is in profile - checked DVDTalk home page and there's no links to international sites so this should be OK (and it's not a referral link)
Old 11-01-01, 02:21 PM
Mod Emeritus

naughty jonny, I think we're talking about two different albums: the one you mention, OVO, clearly has been released whereas the other, UP, has not.
Old 11-01-01, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Indeed. I believe that UP is the equivalent of vaporware (not the poster )
Old 11-02-01, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Yeh, OVO and UP are two different things. OVO apparently is some kind of mostly instrumental/remix type album full of old stuff, while the semi-mythical "UP" is his new stuff. I have a friend in Canada who got "OVO" and said it was pretty darned dull, especially considering the pretty hefty price tag it carries as an import.....
Old 06-27-02, 03:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

[The only way is UP]

I read very recently in Classic Rock magazine that the release date is September 2002....

.... now, if only I could find the article and type out a few quotes from it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.