Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

WTF is going on with Peter Gabriel?!?

Old 06-27-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally posted by AndyCapps
Whatever happened to Ugly Kid Joe? They've been gone about as long, right?
Broke up after 1996 tour. Singer Whitfield Crane later went to sing for Life Of Agony and is currently with Medication.
Old 06-27-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: [The only way is UP]

Originally posted by benedict
I read very recently in Classic Rock magazine that the release date is September 2002....

.... now, if only I could find the article and type out a few quotes from it!
Wow. An, uh, actual, uh, date. Woohoo. Of course, I won't believe it until both PG's company and his record company officially announce it.

BTW, he just released a soundtrack for the film Rabbit-Proof Fence, which I hear is unfortunately mediocre at best.
Old 06-27-02, 04:17 PM
Mod Emeritus

Long Walk Home

Ah yes. It was in a review of that album that they gave the release month of UP from the press-release that accompanied their review copy. I've found that part of the magazine now.

Hugh Fielder gave it 3/5 finishing:
Typically the tracks emerge gradually from below th elimit of human hearing and build to some grand chord sequences - sometimes punctauate by sudden but genteel percussive outburts - before floating back from whence they came. Human voices are another occasional distraction, but there are no words to disturb Gabriel's peerless musical pictures.
GuessWho, in the same Clasic Rock issue (July 2002) they reviewed "Ugly Kid Joe: The Collection" which is a new Best Of apparently with some lesser-known album tracks.

Last edited by benedict; 06-27-02 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts
Amazon even has "Up" up for pre-order, so it looks like it might actually come out in September at long last.

On a side note, I finally talked myself into picking up one of the "remastered" versions of his early stuff, because although I'm loath to double-dip I was curious to see the different. I got "Car" (his first CD) because the quality of my old CD has always been rather weak. What a difference! I played "Solisbury Hill" on both CDs to see the difference and it's almost an entirely different sound -- the mix isn't buried in the murk, and other tracks like "Excuse Me" or "Here Comes The Flood" that were practically inaudible on my old CD really shine. I'm not a huge "audiophile" so I can't say what was done to what to improve it, but from my layman's ears the first CD at least is well worth buying all over again. I doubt if later works like "Us" or "So" would have as huge a difference but I'm seriously considering picking up his other three early albums ("Scratch," "Melt" and "Security") once I have the spare change and Ebaying my original CDs. Anyway, my two cents....
Old 08-01-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jepthah

Wow. An, uh, actual, uh, date. Woohoo. Of course, I won't believe it until both PG's company and his record company officially announce it.
Posted today on PG's website (under news):

Sept 23 - UK release
Sept 24 - N. American release

There is even a rough tour schedule (gasp!) shaping up for NA - between 11/15 and 12/15/02, several cities listed, but no exact dates yet
Old 08-01-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's been so damn long I'm still halfway expecting September 22nd to roll around and an announcement made that PG has decided to go back into the studio for tweaks and re-mixing for another year.
Old 08-01-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ALERT!!!!! ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this very moment I'm listening to the single of "The Barry Williams Show" streaming from www.geffen.com !!!!

Go! (using a PG-type 2 letter word)

(and the song is good!)