DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite Oscar Winning Best Picture (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/72935-favorite-oscar-winning-best-picture.html)

slymer 04-03-01 12:03 AM

Originally posted by dave955
Well the thing that gets me is people whose favorite best picture lists are entirely composed of 1995+ (or 1990+) movies. I mean, yes, I too have not seen most best picture winners, but I certainly wouldn't then post in a thread like this and spout off Braveheart, the English Patient, Titanic, Shakespeare in Love, and American Beauty.

Platoon would be my pick, offhand. (I'm always afraid in this kind of thread I'll name a movie that didn't win, e.g. Pulp Fiction.)

I don't get what you're saying. We're supposed to vote on movies we've seen right? The majority of the movies that I've seen have been released after 1980. I would choose "American Beauty" as my favorite. Followed by "Platoon", "Titanic", and "Sorrest Rump".

badger1997 04-03-01 02:10 AM

Originally posted by dvdnation
Mine is "Saving Private Ryan". I'm not accepting "Shakesphere in love" the winner that year. The only reason why that won was because it came out in December.

------------------
"Dean Keaton once told me I don't believe in God but I'm afraid of him,well I believe in God and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

Actually, Shakespeare in Love won because it just so happens to be a better movie than the overrated Saving Private Ryan. Shakespeare in Love would be one of my favorites from recent years, but my favorite all time would be Dances With Wolves. I know it gets trashed around here all the time but I just can't understand why. It was a great, epic, sweeping movie with a good performance by Costner. Very moving movie that I enjoyed thoroughly then and still enjoy today. Although to tell the truth, it's probably tied with The Godfather II. :)

dave955 04-03-01 02:29 AM

I've only seen a small fraction of the best picture winners from before 1990. That said, of the winners I have seen, I would say Platoon is my favorite.

Meatpants 04-03-01 10:24 AM

The Silence of the Lambs

Pudthai 04-03-01 01:47 PM

"Gladiator" by a landslide. Just kidding -wink-

I would choose "Ben-Hur."

Red Dog 04-03-01 02:31 PM

My favs are The Sting, Godfathers I & II, Ben Hur, and Rocky.

amplified 04-03-01 06:23 PM

Dances with Wolves
Silence of the Lambs
Braveheart
American Beauty

Found it hard to choose just one :D

RobCA 04-03-01 11:34 PM

Definitely Annie Hall.

dvdnaut 04-03-01 11:42 PM

two David Lean films, Kwai and Lawrence. I think American Beauty is an overrated filthy bore fest.

tony_montana187 04-04-01 12:41 AM

Silence of the Lambs

cineman 04-05-01 08:10 AM

The Godfather

edytwinky 04-05-01 06:02 PM

There are just WAY TOO MANY to name

BoatDrinks 04-05-01 07:02 PM

All Quiet on the Western Front was pretty amazing.

But my favorite Best Picture winer would be

The Godfather

Sykes 04-05-01 07:16 PM

Casablanca.

William Ward 04-05-01 09:17 PM

Gladiator
Braveheart
Forrest Gump
Dances with Wolves
Rocky
Goldfinger
Ben Hur

Amadeus 01-24-03 09:30 PM

Favorite Oscar Winning Best Picture

The Last Emperor

jfoobar 01-25-03 01:20 AM

Holy Old Thread, Batman!

I still stand by my answers from over two years ago. Sheesh, I don't even think I was a mod then.

kian69 01-25-03 02:35 AM

The Godfather Part II

fumanstan 01-25-03 03:23 AM

Gladiator =)

kenny79 01-25-03 04:11 AM

Originally posted by JustinS
Holy Old Thread, Batman!

I still stand by my answers from over two years ago. Sheesh, I don't even think I was a mod then.

What I wouldn't give for a time machine. ;)

The ones I have are American Beauty, French Connection, Godfather I/II, and SOTL (also Life Is Beautiful, if you count them foreigners' films), so I guess I like those the most.

Buttmunker 06-06-06 03:31 PM

Annie Hall is one of them, from 1977. I watched it last week, and picked up on two scenes that I never really "understood" before.

1) When Annie (Diane Keaton) and Alvy (Woody Allen) are discussing living out in the country. Annie's for it, Alvy's against, and his reason: Dick and Perry are out there! I never knew who "Dick" and "Perry" were, until I saw the movie Capote - Dick & Perry were the killers.

2) Alvy is in bed with Wendy Torrance from The Shining, and Alvy says something like, "The orgasm is overrated." Wendy asks him who said that, and Alvy hesitates, and answers: "Um, I don't know, I think it was Leopold and Loeb."
That's another obscure reference to killers from the past (Leopold & Loeb were 19-year old "thrill killers" from the 1920's - they killed a 13 year old child in order to commit "the perfect crime"). I had also just recently read up on them before my recent re-viewing of this picture.

Is this a common thread to Woody Allen movies?

Cartload 06-06-06 07:04 PM

It's a toss up between The Godfather and The Godfather Part II for me.

rw2516 06-06-06 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by connie_s
I'm going to tell you my least favorite best picture winner: Titanic. That movie did not deserve a single oscar, let alone best picture. The award that year should have gone to LA Confidential or Good Will Hunting

Titanic is kinda cheesy and not near the top of my favorite Best Picture winners but I wouln't discount the sheer overwhelming achievement in filmmaking it is. Probably the biggest, most difficult undertaking ever taken and they pulled it off. Technically it surpasses even a moon landing. Some of the technology used to make the movie didn't exist and they had to invent it.The attention to detail is unsurpassed. I've seen photos of the real Titanic interior superimposed over photos of the set and they match perfectly. There were the exact number of extras as there were crew and passengers on the original ship and each extra played a real person. They went to the company which had made the carpeting for the Titanic and had them make the exact same carpet. Same with the china, deck chairs, etc. A Titanic prop is indistinguishable(sp?) from an actual item from the ship when it was new. If the real ship had x number of hull plates with x number of rivits 6 3/8 apart, so did the life size model. It's almost the equivilant of building an actual Appolo spacecraft, launchinging it into space and filming the movie in space to make Apollo 13 .
It deserved the Oscars it got and deserved none of the ones it didn't.

My faves: Braveheart, Ben-Hur

Mr. Cinema 06-06-06 07:22 PM

Saving Private...oh yeah, it lost. :(

Gotta go with The Godfather

grem458 06-06-06 10:24 PM

The Last Emperor ('87)
Silence of the Lambs ('91)
The Godfather, Part II ('74)
The Bridge on the River Kwai ('57)