Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Armageddon is the Greatest Film ever made. Period.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Armageddon is the Greatest Film ever made. Period.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-99, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Zizz I agree, Godzilla was even worse. I've gone to several HT shops for demos and they always play that disc. Who the hell wants to see any of that movie? I refuse to ever see any part of it again. I add a vote for Lost World as another of the worst movies ever as well.

------------------
-anywayz, My DVDs

[This message has been edited by ottofunk9 (edited 07-08-1999).]
Old 07-08-99, 10:52 AM

toolfan,

All three are Criterion versions. Too bad the Reel.com price match with a coupon deal is over, otherwise I would probably be looking to buy copy number 4. But I'm kind of cheap and don't want to overpay for a movie I already have three copies of. By the way, that emergency third copy is still in the shrinkwrap. Sort of a "In case of dvd emergency break glass" kind of thing.

The Zizz,

It really does have a "cinematic buffet of symbolism". The initial scenes on the oil rig are sort of like the salad bar. The Russian space station sequence, and the trip to the asteroid are similar to your meats and vegetables. The final climax, well that's the dessert table. You know the best part of owning this on dvd is that unlike a real buffet, here I can take all I want, but I don't have to eat all I take.

kdubby,

Yours is the best policy to follow. Buy what you enjoy. After all folks, you are paying the credit card bill, so it doesn't matter too much if everyone else hates what you buy. But I disagree that a movie can be over analyzed. Every explosion has it's hidden meaning.

Old 07-08-99, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nayone....
This is either the funniest post I've read.....or the most disturbing.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 07-08-99, 11:56 AM

Nayone, you are absolutely correct about Armageddon! Not only do I have multiple copies of the DvD for both the living and bedrooms, I purchased a backup DvD player (still in the box!)to safeguard against hardware failure.
Old 07-08-99, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

nayone--just to make sure, you were joking about that salad bar, meats, veggies bit right?
Old 07-08-99, 05:30 PM

I really thought I enjoyed Armegeddon until I read this post. Then I realized that all of these responses may actually be more entertaining than the plot. But you have to admit, for a great combo of video and audio effects this DVD is hard to beat---perhaps easy to duplicate, but hard to beat. Forget the reality (or lack there of) of the plot. It is strictly ENTERTAINING.
Old 07-08-99, 06:20 PM
Banned

I have to admit, Armageddon is an unparalled movie going experience. Stunning visual effects, riveting plot line, superb casting. I too agree that Bruce Willis was a hack until this role. He was born to play this particular part.

Was anything as funny as his scene where he chased Ben Affleck(sp) with a shotgun?
The rendevouz with the Russian space station was enthralling. The heroism, the glory, it was captivating. I believe this should be shown annually on television, much like the Wizard of Oz. It would make the children grow up to be much more patriotic then they are now. Now that's entertainment.
Old 07-08-99, 06:43 PM
Cool New Member

>Nayone wrote:
"It really does have a "cinematic buffet of symbolism". The initial scenes on the oil
rig are sort of like the salad bar. The Russian space station sequence, and the trip
to the asteroid are similar to your meats and vegetables. The final climax, well
that's the dessert table. You know the best part of owning this on dvd is that unlike
a real buffet, here I can take all I want, but I don't have to eat all I take."

Is this guy for real?? now, that's even funnier than the movie itself man....
Just curious, Nayone, what other movies are your favorites?? just wondering...

C.
Old 07-08-99, 09:01 PM

Not only do I own four seperate copies of Armageddon, but I had my friends all buy three copies each so that I can watch one wherever I go. They wouldn't spring for three Criterion (I convinced one of my friends to get two of the Criterion, but I had to flip him a few bucks).

Also, I have an entirely SEPERATE collection of Patch Adams (I own 10 copies each of the Collectors Edition, and the DTS Full frame), which my friends also have three copies each.

The real pain is when I want to watch a GOOD movie, because, you see, I don't actually own any.

Old 07-08-99, 11:08 PM
Cool New Member

I'm just curious.. What was the best movie ever BEFORE Armageddon came out?

TH
Old 07-08-99, 11:26 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Excellent Movie! You have to take out your brain before you watch it, but it is a great action flick. I will admit that I cried at the end. Still do.
Old 07-09-99, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multiple copies of the same DVD!!! Just in case one burns out!! My God, our economy must be better than i thought.

Armageddon is a great movie, with great camara angles and slow-mo shots. Also great music. Thumbs up to people at Criterion for selecting a great movie. The Criterion editon is a well deserved SLAP in the face to all you people who hate Armageddon

Old 07-09-99, 01:46 PM

thehunt44,

You asked "What was the best movie before Armageddon came out?" Good question. Let me take the weekend to collect my thoughts on that one. I wouldn't want to short change some of the more deserving classics like Judge Dredd or Police Academy 5. I'll consider the question and try to respond on Monday.
Old 07-09-99, 02:09 PM

Here are three questions you might ask when evaluating "the Greatest Film ever made":

1. Did you know how it would end 10 minutes after it began?

2. Would the movie lose 50% of its meaning without the presence of a sub-woofer?

3. Could the movie be transferred directly to a Nintendo game?

If the answer to all three questions is yes, and you still think it's the greatest movie ever made, how long have you been working the graveyard shift at 7-11?
Old 07-09-99, 02:22 PM

De gustibus non disputandem est.

-burgeon
Old 07-09-99, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nayone....
You are seriously disturbed. Everyone knows that the Police Acadeny series was just a shadow of its former self when it lost the incredible talents of Steve Guttenberg. Alas, that series loss was "High Spirits" gain.

jim

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~gamblor187.asp
Old 07-10-99, 12:34 PM
Banned

Someone started an anti Armageddon thread. My god, I can't believe that anyone would dislike this movie. Okay, maybe they don't agree that its the greatest movie made, along the lines of Ben Hur or Ten Commandments (I believe its better than either of those two movies myself), but to actually dislike this movie. I am flabbergasted. Its one of the all time greats. It will be AFMI top ten in a few years as it seasons.
Old 07-11-99, 09:03 AM

quote:<HR>if so many people hated armageddon how come it made the most money in the summer of 98. <HR>

Alot of people like PAN AND SCAN too, so...

Armageddon was a good action flick with great visuals and sound, that's all.

Not the greatest movie of all time.

------------------
LuvLBX
member of W.H.O.
#001-071099
Old 07-11-99, 10:39 AM

cwburch, nayone is stating his opinion. Therefore you do not need to personally attack him. Thanks for the vine!

------------------
"You want my blood, take my blood! Here it is, take it!"....Samuel L. Jackson as Danny Roman in the Negotiator
Old 07-11-99, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't consider cwburch's post a "personal attack," given the light tone of this subject thus far.

----------------

If anyone comes across something on any message in the Reviews forum that you consider in violation of the zero tolerance policy, please e-mail me ([email protected]).

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 07-11-99, 06:50 PM

Judge Dredd? Police Academy 5? At least we now know you are joking. I was worried for a while.

[This message has been edited by Justin Spike (edited 07-11-1999).]
Old 07-11-99, 08:42 PM

DVDer, I was referring to the 'graveyard shift at the 7-11' comment. Sorry, just looking out.

------------------
"You want my blood, take my blood! Here it is, take it!"....Samuel L. Jackson as Danny Roman in the Negotiator
Old 07-11-99, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

kdubby-

No need to apologize. That remark stuck out to me, as well, but after reading some of the other things that have been posted in this thread I suppose I just assumed everything to be sarcasm, or dry humor. It's a good idea to post like you did, as it is sure to be noticed by a moderator.

--Heather

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~ahber16.asp
Old 07-12-99, 08:40 AM

yeah, whew! I wasn't really sure what was going on, though, once police acadamy 5 and judge dredd were mentioned it became a lot more clear.

GOOD ONE

------------------
-anywayz, My DVDs

Old 07-12-99, 09:43 AM

Wow, I'm kind of surprised everyone took this so seriously at first. I figured the "3 copies" stuff would give it away.

The really funny part for me is that I got myself so jazzed up about this that I went out and bought a copy for real. (just one)

I figure I've milked this for all the laughs we can get, so I'll let it die now. But thanks everyone for playing along. I hope I didn't irritate anyone too much. Just a peek into the bizarre little world of humor I try to live in.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.