Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Duchess (2024, D: Neil Marshall) S: Charlotte Kirk

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 07-09-24, 08:16 AM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

From director Neil Marshall, Duchess follows a tough, working-class, petty criminal who morphs into an anti-heroine to be reckoned with in a murky underworld, in the treacherous world of diamond smuggling. Determined to seek retribution she launches into a vicious and violent pursuit for vengeance. Duchess is directed by British producer / filmmaker Neil Marshall, director of the genre movies Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday, Centurion, Hellboy, The Reckoning, and The Lair previously. The screenplay is written by Charlotte Kirk and Neil Marshall. Produced by Emily Corcoran and Kristyna Sellnerova for Cork Films.

On VOD on August 9th, 2024.
Another from Marshall and his lady...
Old 07-09-24, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,386 Likes on 2,170 Posts
Re: Duchess (2024, D: Neil Marshall) S: Charlotte Kirk

That trailer They actually used the *freeze frame* “You’re probably wondering how I got here…” cliché

I think it’s safe to say Marshall’s career has been a disappointment. Following a couple solid flicks in Dog Soldiers and The Descent, he’s made one turd after another. There was actually a time I looked forward to his next movie.
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (07-09-24)
Old 07-09-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

The two you named are two of my all-time favorite modern horror movies. Both are fantastic.

What the fuck happened? Looks like he has done more high-profile TV shows than anything else in the last decade.
Old 07-09-24, 01:15 PM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The two you named are two of my all-time favorite modern horror movies. Both are fantastic.

What the fuck happened? Looks like he has done more high-profile TV shows than anything else in the last decade.
“What the fuck happened” is (taken from my post in The Reckoning thread):

The woman in this, who is now Marshall’s girlfriend, was the woman in the middle of affair scandals that made both Warner Bros. chairman, Kevin Tsujihara, and NBCUniversal Vice Chairman, Ron Meyer, step down from their roles.

Once Marshall got involved with her, and those stories came out, it seemed like he had some turmoil in his career as well.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...get-through-it
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ency-exclusive
Old 07-09-24, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 385 Likes on 319 Posts

Since directing Hellboy (2019), Neil Marshall has done only back-to-back films (The Reckoning, The Lair) co-written and starring his partner, Charlotte Kirk.

This one would make the third.

I do sincerely miss the kind of films Marshall was cranking out during that 2002-2010 period