Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Beverly Hills Cop 4?
0%
3.70%
29.63%
25.93%
11.11%
14.81%
0%
3.70%
0%
3.70%
0%
No interest
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) -- The Reviews Thread

Old 07-08-24, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts
Re: Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) -- The Reviews Thread

The geography was also hilarious. One minute they're chasing a helicopter through DTLA then they're magically in front of the Beverly Hills PD before crashing into the golf course. If only I could move that fast through DTLA.
Old 07-11-24, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,072 Likes on 769 Posts

Watched this last night. Lots of fun, IMO. Can't imagine someone enjoying the originals and not this as well. It barely missed a step and felt like it could have been made right after the originals.

Luis Guzman is hilarious in everything he does, and this cameo was no exception. Thought JGL fit in well, too. I probably would have cut the stuff with the lusting realtor to make it closer to 90 min than 2 hours, but that's pretty minor nitpick.
The following users liked this post:
Throwing Copper (07-11-24)
Old 07-11-24, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 425 Likes on 300 Posts

It was fun and a nice nod to the past but not at all believable with the snow plow scene setting the tone, once I started to suspend disbelief I enjoyed it more. I think my favorite part was during the credits when Axle gets in the car (mild spoiler sorry) but I don't know if I will watch this again or even revisit the original. Glad I got to see if for free and Eddie Murphy needs to make more movies. Hard to believe he is only 63 at this point and could still be working that job.

I did watch the first hour or so by myself and rewatched the full movie with my wife so I did see some of the stuff a few times early on. I gave it 3.5 stars
Old 07-12-24, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 142 Posts

I loved it. All I wanted was to see no woke nonsense and I didn't see any at all in this movie - not one thing. But what I didn't expect was for it to be a literal "80's movie" - including the directing, music (of course), and even some of the cheesy dialogue\scenes.

I think that's what most don't understand about his movie, it's made in that pure 80's style so you'll either like that or you won't.

I personally loved it. Murphy still isn't excused for the horrendous shit show that was the coming to America sequel (and never will be), but I was very happy to see he did this one justice.
Old 07-12-24, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 288 Likes on 215 Posts

This was okay. I'm a huge fan of the first one and never really cared for 2 or 3. I appreciate the music choices, and own the score, soundtrack, Patti LaBelle 45, all that stuff from the first movie. I like that Axel Foley was front and center and it didn't fall into the "next generation" trap that can happen, and the new characters were also welcome additions.

I was glad to see the old supporting characters again, but when you sideline or separate them for most of the movie, that's lazy. I get that having people team up may not be exiting for the audience if they're good friends who no longer have problems with each other. But the solution for sequels seems to be to add new people with new conflicts, and have the existing team be separated for most of the story. It's no different here with Rosewood being incapacitated for most of this one, and Taggert being in disagreement with them for most of the story, which is also out of character.

What would have been interesting and new was if Paul Reiser's character actually got to join the action and meet Rosewood and Taggert. Maybe in part 5.

Also it's always kind of weird when they use production stills as part of someone's history, like when they pulled out Axel's file.
Old 07-12-24, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
I loved it. All I wanted was to see no woke nonsense and I didn't see any at all in this movie - not one thing. But what I didn't expect was for it to be a literal "80's movie" - including the directing, music (of course), and even some of the cheesy dialogue\scenes.
What do you consider "woke nonsense" in movies? Not trying to start a political discussion or argument. I am genuinely curious.
Old 07-12-24, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 425 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
What do you consider "woke nonsense" in movies? Not trying to start a political discussion or argument. I am genuinely curious.
I would counter that this movie had a bit of 'woke nonsense' but in a very good way of having his daughter be a strong, independent, and funny woman. She had good boundaries with her dad and clearly did not tolerate foolish nonsense. She was a successful and recognizable lawyer who took care of people who needed representation the most. The world needs healthy, successful female protagonists to encourage young girls to model that behavior. let's not ignore Scullys / X-file's impact on women going into science.
Old 07-12-24, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Pandering to certain groups, making the sure DEI boxes are checked, etc.

Last edited by Rival11; 07-12-24 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-12-24, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I would counter that this movie had a bit of 'woke nonsense' but in a very good way of having his daughter be a strong, independent, and funny woman. She had good boundaries with her dad and clearly did not tolerate foolish nonsense. She was a successful and recognizable lawyer who took care of people who needed representation the most. The world needs healthy, successful female protagonists to encourage young girls to model that behavior. let's not ignore Scullys / X-file's impact on women going into science.
That's not woke, it's to show she's strong-minded and determined just like her Father - they even say that to her in the film I believe.
Old 07-12-24, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,170 Likes on 845 Posts

That's not woke, it's to show she's strong-minded and determined just like her Father - they even say that to her in the film I believe.
A Black woman being a successful professional in what just two generations ago was considered almost the exclusive province of White men is most definitely an example of something "woke."

Old 07-12-24, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
A Black woman being a successful professional in what just two generations ago was considered almost the exclusive province of White men is most definitely an example of something "woke."
I get what you're saying but it didn't come across as pandering or some executive ticking a box. Her status and role in the story felt very organic to me, not what people would categorize as "woke".
The following 3 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Brian T (07-16-24), Rival11 (07-12-24), Throwing Copper (07-13-24)
Old 07-12-24, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I get what you're saying but it didn't come across as pandering or some executive ticking a box. Her status and role in the story felt very organic to me, not what people would categorize as "woke".
That is because what people "categorize as 'woke' " is a fucked up understanding of what it means that has been pushed into people's consciousness by the prevalence of right-wing bloviaters.

Being "woke" means being aware of prejudice and discrimination, and understanding the role that systemic discrimination has played in (American) society. For example, someone who is woke would understand that Black people were denied the opportunity to build personal wealth in post-WW2 America by governmental and corporate policies that denied them the same opportunities that Whites had to move into the growing middle class.

At the same time, being aware of prejudice and discrimination also means acknowledging progress.

In 2024, you watched a movie with a Black police detective and a Black female private attorney, and you never thought that was odd. Yet 60 years ago, there was an entire Oscar-winning movie based on the premise that a Black man being a police detective was a ground-breaking and historically significant example of progress in Black representation. And 40 years ago, the idea that a Black husband and wife could be a physician and a lawyer was also seen as ground-breaking representation on TV.

And I will not turn this into a Politics Forum discussion, but let's be honest about something. When people complain about something woke being forced on them, it means they are seeing some progressive change or idea that they oppose. I'm certain that in 2024, there are still lots of people who seethe at the sight of multi-racial families and gay couples on commercials.
The following 4 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Brian T (07-16-24), HeIsTheZissou (07-15-24), Mondo Kane (07-15-24), New Lurker (07-14-24)
Old 07-12-24, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 567 Posts

Thanks for clarifying your stance, Count Dooku. I get what you're pointing out since, I must admit that I associate "woke" with hamfisted representation that is akin to someone trying toot their horn about how progressive they are because they have "black friends" or how cool they are that their kid came out. To me, the race or sexuality of friends/family/acquaintances should be taken for granted. Likewise for whatever job roles they have.

I know this is gonna be a weird sidetrack but I view the movie Ricky Stanicky as woke done right. The movie has gay characters, disabled characters, even a character with dwarfism. But what stood out is how the movie does nothing to point them out. They are simply there as if the most normal thing in the world. No cheesy speeches or "heartfelt" conversations about their race, sexuality, or physical attributes. They are normal and the movie treats them as normal.

Likewise, a headstrong guy like Axel Foley having an equally headstrong daughter in Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F is treated like the most normal thing in the world. Heck, the only oddity pointed out during her character introduction is that a Beverly Hills attorney would want the case she was taking on. Not that she was a woman or that she was black. I really like that. Hell, I didn't even stop to think about that until this thread. I want more of that in movies.
Old 07-12-24, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That is because what people "categorize as 'woke' " is a fucked up understanding of what it means that has been pushed into people's consciousness by the prevalence of right-wing bloviaters.

Being "woke" means being aware of prejudice and discrimination, and understanding the role that systemic discrimination has played in (American) society. For example, someone who is woke would understand that Black people were denied the opportunity to build personal wealth in post-WW2 America by governmental and corporate policies that denied them the same opportunities that Whites had to move into the growing middle class.

At the same time, being aware of prejudice and discrimination also means acknowledging progress.

In 2024, you watched a movie with a Black police detective and a Black female private attorney, and you never thought that was odd. Yet 60 years ago, there was an entire Oscar-winning movie based on the premise that a Black man being a police detective was a ground-breaking and historically significant example of progress in Black representation. And 40 years ago, the idea that a Black husband and wife could be a physician and a lawyer was also seen as ground-breaking representation on TV.

And I will not turn this into a Politics Forum discussion, but let's be honest about something. When people complain about something woke being forced on them, it means they are seeing some progressive change or idea that they oppose. I'm certain that in 2024, there are still lots of people who seethe at the sight of multi-racial families and gay couples on commercials.
But you're definitely being too political with the term by saying "the right" doesn't understand it. That has nothing to do with it, politics has nothing to do with any of this and nobody opposes progressive change for the better - that would be ridiculous.

Everyone needs to drop their political attachments to all the pandering and DEI\ESG. None of that stuff is political - it's all forced agenda nonsense (and it seems to be going away finally).

Yes, you're correct on the definition of woke, but unfortunately it became the umbrella go-to word for all the pandering in movies and TV.

***Note to the mods: This is the only reply I'll do off topic unless people want to talk more about it as it relates to the film in general***
Old 07-12-24, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But you're definitely being too political with the term by saying "the right" doesn't understand it.
When the political Right has convinced people that a word that refers to being aware of racial injustice is an insult, I'm going to say that they are misusing and twisting it. But I think being White and being able to admit that racial injustice exists is a good thing. Of course, there are people that think it is normal for a White cop to murder a Black man in broad daylight on a public street in front of a crowd of onlookers, and for him not think he is doing anything wrong.

That has nothing to do with it, politics has nothing to do with any of this and nobody opposes progressive change for the better - that would be ridiculous.
nobody opposes progressive change for the better - that would be ridiculous

Everyone needs to drop their political attachments to all the pandering and DEI\ESG. None of that stuff is political - it's all forced agenda nonsense (and it seems to be going away finally).
It was that kind of pandering that made Gene Roddenberry include non-White cast members on Star Trek. Showing a vision of the future that included a Black woman as a valuable member of the crew was representation that meant a lot to people.
It was that kind of pandering that made Tom Cruise insist on having a Black love interest in MI:2, despite warnings that an inter-racial romance was still unacceptable to many people (in 2000!) and could hurt the domestic and international box office.
The default setting for American entertainment can't and shouldn't be White and heterosexual, but people had to pander and force change to happen. We're better for the effort.

Yes, you're correct on the definition of woke, but unfortunately it became the umbrella go-to word for all the pandering in movies and TV.
Yep, and I guarantee you that there are lots of people who hate seeing non-Whites and gays being presented to the public as normal in American entertainment, but that does not mean we should cede to their perspective. if they have to be challenged and feel like something is being rammed down their throats, then so be it. Take and get used to it.

I won't post anything else about this, but neither am I going to let political comments I find abhorrent pass without comment, just because someone made them talking about a movie.

The following 5 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
Brian T (07-16-24), Dan (07-12-24), davidh777 (07-17-24), HeIsTheZissou (07-15-24), New Lurker (07-14-24)
Old 07-14-24, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 793 Likes on 644 Posts
Re: Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) S: Murphy -- Netflix

Maybe just me but it seemed it had a lot less comedy and more drama.

Maybe if they do another movie why not set the whole movie in Detroit and take Beverly Hills out of the title?

That might be a fresh new idea.
Old 07-15-24, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,694 Likes on 4,568 Posts
Re: Beverly Hills Cop: Axel F (2024, D: Molloy) S: Murphy -- Netflix

Or they could have him live in LA because his daughter is there, so are his friends and why not at this point?
Old 07-15-24, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,971 Likes on 2,029 Posts

The whole conceit of the franchise is that it's fish-out of water tale with a street-smart, wisecracking Detroit cop working with the stuffy, by-the-book Beverly Hills police force.

But it's a well you can only go back to so many times; by the end of the second installment the "fish-out-of-water" gimmick had mostly run out of gas. The third movie just completely lost its edge. Having the Beverly Hills crew -- Billy, Taggart, Serge(?) -- travel to Detroit for some kind of case might have been an interesting premise for the third movie by flipping the trope.
Old 07-15-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts

Connecting director Martin Brest (director of the original Beverly Hills Cop) I always thought the script for his "Midnight Run" would have made for a really good Beverly Hills Cop sequel. Axel Foley on assignment to escort a mild-mannered mob accountant from Beverly Hills and bring him back to Detroit.

Don't get me wrong, Midnight Run is a great film just the way it is but in an alternate universe it probably would have been Eddie Murphy's best film given the quality of the writing of "Midnight Run".
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (07-16-24)
Old 07-15-24, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts

I would only like that if they kept John Ashton, who like Axel is no longer a cop, but now a bounty-hunter.
Old 07-15-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 150 Likes on 114 Posts

John Ashton is a must-have! In terms of the series, the four cops being best buddies going on fishing trips together was introduced, inexplicably, in Beverly Hills Cop II.
Old 07-15-24, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We can definitely continue this through PM if you like, but just out of curiosity, what did you not understand about the line above? What I said was very clear.
Old 07-16-24, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought this was pretty good, actually. I just re-watched the whole series and this is miles better than #3. Or Coming 2 America, for that matter. I was pretty much entertained the entire time, and that's all I wanted from it.
Old 07-16-24, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander
I thought this was pretty good, actually. I just re-watched the whole series and this is miles better than #3. Or Coming 2 America, for that matter. I was pretty much entertained the entire time, and that's all I wanted from it.
The original is still the best - I couldn't really make it through part 2, and have no urge to revisit the third.
Old 07-16-24, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

I need to do a marathon. I haven't seen 1 in ages, 2 even longer and 3 only when it came out. I remember nothing about 2 or 3 except a ferris wheel scene for some reason???

Anyway, will try to do this soon since so many of you like it but also state it helps to remember the others.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.