Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024, D: Sarnoski) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of A Quiet Place: Day One?
9.09%
27.27%
27.27%
18.18%
9.09%
0%
9.09%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-24, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Experience the day the world went quiet.

Rated: PG-13

Running Time: 100 minutes

RT Score: TBD

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_quiet_place_day_one

(The review embargo lifts at 9am ET Thursday)

I won't be able to see this until Monday. Early screenings start tomorrow at 3pm, which is a Fan Event and giveaway.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-27-24 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-27-24, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 348 Likes on 259 Posts
Re: A Quiet Place: Day One (2024, D: Sarnoski) -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I thought this was just "okay." I liked it, but I liked the first two films a whole lot more.

My biggest issue with the film (and I don't think this is really a "spoiler") is that the movie doesn't really play by the same rules the first two films did, meaning how quiet or how loud the characters get in each scene totally depends on what the script needs them to say or do at the point in the film. They try to excuse it with characters talking when it is raining, or when they're near something else making noise (like a fire burning), but it really bothered me after a while.

Still, it's worth a viewing, just don't fall for the "hype" that it's up to the level of the first two movies.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (06-27-24)
Old 06-27-24, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,330 Likes on 906 Posts

I'll pretty much echo that. Went to the 3:00 fan showing (and had to ask for my giveaway poster on the way out, #$%! you AMC).

I will say it suffers the same fate as the opening episodes of Fear the Walking Dead. It promises us the story of how this all happened, but it does not deliver on that at all. Rather than telling the story of the world, it just tells another story in that world. If you are expecting an action-shoot-em-up alien war adventure, this is not it.

Lupita Nyong'o's character and story were compelling and endearing. The random bland white guy was . . . there. For me, that was the huge failing of the movie. The story of a piece of pizza was more compelling than the story of the main characters.

As for the creatures, I'm not sure how they stack up against the previous movies. They seemed a little super powered to me due to the way they were climbing and scrambling over skyscrapers, but I suppose it could be (a) we haven't seen them in that setting before and/or (b) this was the "strike force" caste of these creatures and the later films show us more the "overlords" or "guards." Once thing that did leave me intrigued was the scene where they eat . . . something? I was under the impression they ate people, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Was that something sent with the landing/invasion force?

The only need to see it on IMAX was sitting through the credits and just bathing in Nina Simone's voice. Unfortunately, a movie about silence and sound makes no noticeable use of the extra IMAX real estate or even enhanced sound. That was a shame since the crowd scene could have been really played up more. That scene also called attention to the fact that this movie is rarely actually quiet. Unlike Shannon, I did like the way they used the sounds of the city to cover themselves. I wish they had really played into that and made this film an experiment in sound. I particularly like the way they used a thunderstorm for a touching moment and wanted more of that.

3 out of 5. It was fine, but it isn't the summer blockbuster they were touting it as. Honestly, the fan experience videos before hand were probably more entertaining. They featured Nyong'o and random bland white guy playing a few word games and talking about the making of the film. Worth seeing, don't make a special trip and don't go out of your way for premium formats.

Old 06-28-24, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,108 Likes on 644 Posts

I generally liked it. I'm not an enormous fan of the first two, so I went in with minimal expectations. I will say that'd I'd love an anthology film about various people around the world dealing with this. Loved the cat.
Old 06-29-24, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 220 Posts

Just got back from seeing it and I loved it. Moving the story to a major city was a smart move. Because it never felt like a rehash or the same ol'. There were more thrills and carnage. It was also really emotional. Something I was not expecting. I'm not sure what order I would rank all the films. Maybe a three way tie (?) But this gets a solid 9/10 rating from me. Lupita Nyong'o was outstanding. And Joseph Quinn is the love child of Robert Downy Jr. and Brendan Fraser. It was distracting how much he looks like a hybrid of both of those guys.
Old 06-30-24, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,284 Likes on 989 Posts

Saw it last nigh in Dolby Cinema and the audio was insane -- it's gonna be nuts on 4K disc.

We don't get an origin story for the creatures, but they did show you the scene of them eating what looked like some sprouted growths in the encasement they crashed on Earth from. Also, they have next to zero lung capacity to survive underwater. They don't know how to hold their breath at all it seems.

I read that Krasinski will be back to direct the next film, so we'll see if we get an actual origin story about the creatures.

The cat was awesome.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-30-24)
Old 06-30-24, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Saw it last nigh in Dolby Cinema and the audio was insane -- it's gonna be nuts on 4K disc.

We don't get an origin story for the creatures, but they did show you the scene of them eating what looked like some sprouted growths in the encasement they crashed on Earth from. Also, they have next to zero lung capacity to survive underwater. They don't know how to hold their breath at all it seems.

I read that Krasinski will be back to direct the next film, so we'll see if we get an actual origin story about the creatures.

The cat was awesome.
Saw it in Dolby Cinema too. Every time a creature landed on the ground from above, the entire auditorium shook. And I immediately thought "They need to re-release 'Earthquake' in a Dolby Cinema if only for one night. Also, yes, I loved the cat. I got so nervous when they were underwater with it swimming away from the creature. And when they resurfaced, I said to my friend "Well, the cat's out of the bag". I know, Booooo!
The following 3 users liked this post by Daytripper:
IBJoel (06-30-24), Meathead (07-02-24), Why So Blu? (06-30-24)
Old 06-30-24, 06:09 PM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

A Quiet Place: The Quest For One Last Slice... I feel seen.
Old 07-01-24, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

Saw it tonight. Loved it. Yay Frodo! He was awesome.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meathead:
Daytripper (07-01-24), Why So Blu? (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 567 Posts

The fact that several of you liked this, makes me think I might watch it. But the fact that so many of you also really liked the second movie, which I loathed, leaves me conflicted. Who gets the streaming rights to this?
Old 07-01-24, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The fact that several of you liked this, makes me think I might watch it. But the fact that so many of you also really liked the second movie, which I loathed, leaves me conflicted. Who gets the streaming rights to this?

Paramount+.
Old 07-01-24, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from seeing it in Dolby Cinema. I thought it was a solid origin story. Lupita and Joseph Quinn were both really good. And there was some genuinely nerve wracking moments that had me grabbing my arm wrests a little tighter. And I definitely liked the new setting in NY city vs the first two being set in the country.

I also thought it was compelling story about a dying woman, who wanted her life to mean something, and she ended up being the ultimate sacrifice.

and yes, the audio was absolutely killer.
The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Daytripper (07-01-24), IBJoel (07-02-24), Why So Blu? (07-01-24)
Old 07-01-24, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 567 Posts

Paramount+.
Sucks to be me, I guess.
Old 07-02-24, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I thought the second one was only ok. I'd put the original and Day One about even. Loved both.
Old 07-06-24, 08:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked it but feel like I saw most of it through the trailers. Ranking is the first, third and then second movie.
Old 07-06-24, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
A Quiet Place: The Quest For One Last Slice... I feel seen.
A Quiet Place and the Slice of Silence
A Quiet Place: Silence of the Hams, Pepperonis, and Sausages

[No need, guys. I'm booing myself off the stage.]

Originally Posted by Meathead
Saw it tonight. Loved it. Yay Frodo! He was awesome.
I don't know how I missed this . . . another walking movie about Sam and Frodo?

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just got back from seeing it in Dolby Cinema. I thought it was a solid origin story. Lupita and Joseph Quinn were both really good. And there was some genuinely nerve wracking moments that had me grabbing my arm wrests a little tighter. And I definitely liked the new setting in NY city vs the first two being set in the country.

I also thought it was compelling story about a dying woman, who wanted her life to mean something, and she ended up being the ultimate sacrifice.

and yes, the audio was absolutely killer.
I am going to disagree with those bolded parts.

This really is NOT an origin story. It is just another story set earlier in the universe.

Sam wasn't trying to give her life meaning. She was trying to feel alive one last time. She wasn't a sacrifice, she was always a dead man walking. For just the smallest amount of time, she wanted to escape that death sentence and experience the life she had. The quest for pizza starts before the alien invasion, not because of it.

Old 07-07-24, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, a true origin story would be for them to tell you the who, what, when, how the aliens originated/came to Earth in the first place. Also, what the world's military forces were/have been doing for all those years after their landing.

I'm hoping the future fourth film will shed some light on that. Abstract aliens can only go so far.
Old 07-07-24, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I am going to disagree with those bolded parts.

This really is NOT an origin story. It is just another story set earlier in the universe.

Sam wasn't trying to give her life meaning. She was trying to feel alive one last time. She wasn't a sacrifice, she was always a dead man walking. For just the smallest amount of time, she wanted to escape that death sentence and experience the life she had. The quest for pizza starts before the alien invasion, not because of it.
Everyone sees things differently. It doesn't mean my thoughts or your thoughts are wrong. Just my 2 cents.

Sam was literally a walking and uncaring zombie. She meets this stranger (Eric) who brings out feelings that she hasn't experienced in years and they develop a friendship. She's dying and he's young and has a lot to live for. She sacrificed herself at the end so he can live and also take care of her cat. In the end, she got to experience as much of being alive and outside as possible rather than being locked up in hospice care.

As far as "Origin story" that is a matter of different expectations. I saw it as an origin story of the aliens coming to earth and leading to chaos and it's downfall. Not how the aliens were born and created.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Abob Teff (07-07-24), Daytripper (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm hoping the future fourth film will shed some light on that. Abstract aliens can only go so far.
Ehh . . . how has that worked our for Alien so far?
Old 07-07-24, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Box-office estimates for the weekend are around $21M, $94.3 so far. Hope this gets to at least $130M. It deserves that and more. The first made $188M, the sequel $160M (during the pandemic!).
Old 07-08-24, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, what the world's military forces were/have been doing for all those years after their landing.
Likely destroyed and what's left in hiding (on islands) like everyone else. There was a quick scene in Day One that showed the military forces in the city annihilated.
Old 07-08-24, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Meathead
Likely destroyed and what's left in hiding (on islands) like everyone else. There was a quick scene in Day One that showed the military forces in the city annihilated.
But I want to see it from the initial invasion. People forget, because they get caught up in the action, that Day One takes place 10-15 years prior to the first two films.
Old 07-08-24, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

But I want to see it from the initial invasion. People forget, because they get caught up in the action, that Day One takes place 10-15 years prior to the first two films.
10 to 15 years? Itís more like 400 plus days from the trailer.
Old 07-08-24, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Part II (after the intro) starts at Day 474. We got to see the invasion in NYC. Humanity, for the most part, was annihilated and never stood a chance. You wanted to see city after city get it? I much preferred the story we got.
Old 07-08-24, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, then I don't know why Lupita's character was rocking iPod(s) from the mid 2000s in 2020+. . She didn't strike me as the nostalgic hipster type with old tech.