Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How would you "fix" movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How would you "fix" movies?

Old 06-14-24, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: How would you "fix" movies?

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Yes. I think what you're describing is market saturation... it makes me appreciate the old closed-door system where it was really really hard to make a movie.
The old phrase was that 'everybody has a book inside them', and I think Groucho Marx or some other wit added 'but 99% are unreadable', and there's truth in both points.
The following users liked this post:
actionjackson29 (07-06-24)
Old 06-14-24, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,327 Likes on 904 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
3D is fun. Gimmicky but fun.
I disagree. 3D works best when it is neither gimmicky nor fun, just when it builds layers of the world it is presenting.
Old 06-14-24, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
Whether you agree or not, I think a lot of mid budget and smaller films deserve to have the opportunity to be supported theatrically. And I'm not talking about direct to video movies starring Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins, or JCVD.

I don't like the stigma that unless it's some huge event film or blockbuster with action, explosions, lots of special FX, it's a "streaming" movie.

I understand that we all value things differently. But, lots of A24 movies like Past Lives, Everything Everywhere all at once, which have small budgets, would not have gotten the type of notoriety or awards contention they received if they were dumped to a streaming service and then quickly forgotten. "Big movies" alone cannot sustain the movie making industry.
Absolutely, and I would even be fine with tiered pricing if a theater would do this. Bring back second-run theaters while we are at it!

As I have mentioned, we have 20 screens in Springfield, Illinois, and there are rarely more than 12 different movies playing. There is virtually NEVER something playing at the 8-plex that isn't playing at the 12-plex. More variety = more revenue.

Look at stuff like the anime releases and the (*gag*) religious films/shows. These are extremely niche releases, but they obviously are generating revenue a theater/studio would not have otherwise. Which would you rather have: an anime release on one screen generating and extra $3,000 in ticket sales OR a third screen of the FALL GUY generating $600 in revenue?
Ash Ketchum (06-15-24)
Old 06-15-24, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

some originality would be nice.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bacon:
Bluelitespecial (06-15-24), PhantomStranger (06-16-24)
Old 06-22-24, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Theaters are being constructed in such a way that scope films and flat films have the same width. I 100% agree with you that that is wrong, and that scope should be wider horizontally, not narrower vertically. It's supposed to provide more of an image, and instead it presents less. But they're trying to press as many theaters into a smaller space, and that's the way to do it. It's worldwide, too. At my film festival, I've been noticing that many of the Chinese films with lavish visuals are now in the flat ratio. They always used to be scope. And I was told it's because China is similarly building narrower theaters to maximize space, and filmmakers there don't want to see their work smaller when it should be the opposite.
Well, that's simply WRONG. Such theaters simply shouldn't be built, and those that have been should go out of business. The whole point of the scope ratio was that on a proper WIDE screen, it's a more immersive image than TV. It was NEVER meant to be shown with "black bars", that's just the only way to show it on a TV screen without completely ruining the picture. More than 20 YEARS AGO, I read a statement from someone that perfectly summed it up: "Die Hard should never look smaller than Driving Miss Daisy."

Proper wide screens are still the main thing most home theaters lack, even as other things improve. If real theaters want to compete, the very LEAST they need to do is install screens with the proper ratio. If they can't even fit that in their theater, they should scrap the plans and build it somewhere else. And showing a scope movie letterboxed without even any masking is BEYOND shoddy. A lot of new theaters are being built with no masking, and older theaters that do have it have stopped using it. But if I see a movie and the screen isn't properly masked, that's the LAST time I go to that theater. No reason to reward their laziness with my money, when I can have a similar experience at home for less. I expect theaters to deliver something BETTER than what I have at home.
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan Smithee:
Ash Ketchum (06-22-24), ntnon (06-27-24)
Old 06-22-24, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 296 Likes on 227 Posts

"Die Hard should never look smaller than Driving Miss Daisy."
"Die Hard Miss Daisy!" (Or would it be "Driving Miss Die Hard"?) What a great sequel that would have made--for both movies! John McClane, fired from the police, gets a job as chauffeur to Miss Daisy on Morgan Freeman's day off, and they drive right into the middle of a hostage situation and McClane and Daisy are the only ones who can rescue the hostages. McClane, of course, has weapons hidden in the car and Miss Daisy had been taught as a girl to use firearms by her Southern Colonel dad in case of an "uprising" so she knows what to do. Who wouldn't want to see Jessica Tandy as an action star? And Morgan Freeman manages to join the fight at some point.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-22-24 at 09:28 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
ntnon (06-27-24), RocShemp (07-07-24)
Old 06-22-24, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

I find it amusing how a question about fixing the movie can be hijacked by a discussion about ratios, which only 5 nerds care about, since most people just know the screen is bigger than at home.
The following 4 users liked this post by Runaway:
Draven (06-23-24), IBJoel (06-27-24), Mikellll11 (06-22-24), ntnon (06-27-24)
Old 06-22-24, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 278 Posts

I think finances are more calculated than ever before.

I was watching an interview with Peter Jackson from around 2001. With Lord of the Rings, it was developed for years at Miramax, spending $20M on preproduction, and Harvey wanted that money back if it were moving to another studio. Miramax couldn't move forward and gave up. Nobody wanted to move forward, except Bob Shaye at New Line. It came within a week or two of being abandoned. In 2024, I think it would have simply been abandoned.

Are gambles like this still made? Wherever the money comes from, they aren't as risk tolerant as they once were.

And with all due respect, The Hobbit was likely made as a sure-fire prospect. And look at the outcome.
Old 06-23-24, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 735 Posts

The Hobbit was still profitable. It's just not received nearly as well as LotR. It would have been perfectly fine if they had just made it one movie but they got greedy and wanted 3 movies based on a book that was half the size of even one of the books of the LotR trilogy. But they still made their money.
Old 06-23-24, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
The Hobbit was still profitable. It's just not received nearly as well as LotR. It would have been perfectly fine if they had just made it one movie but they got greedy and wanted 3 movies based on a book that was half the size of even one of the books of the LotR trilogy. But they still made their money.
Although one movie would have been ideal, the original two-movie plan might have worked as well. Although I didn't hate the finished trilogy, they shouldn't have bothered when Christopher Tolkien denied them the rights to adapt the appendices. That's what was missing to make a Hobbit trilogy reasonable. That and J.R.R. Tolkien's unfinished revision of The Hobbit​​​​​​.
tanman (06-23-24)
Old 06-23-24, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,666 Posts

I'd think projects like the Hobbit and Fantastic Beasts probably look like surefire wins to some studio exec greenlighting it but to the fans of the franchises, maybe not so much. They are fundamentally different, even at the story level, from what made the previous series so popular.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
IBJoel (06-27-24), ntnon (06-27-24)
Old 06-23-24, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And now they're at it again. Are ANY LotR fans clamoring for more LotR? It was damn near perfect the way it was and the Hobbit almost ruined it. Now there are a bunch of other projects on the docket that just come off as cash grabs.

I haven't followed HP as much. Haven't seen any of the new prequel. Hell, I haven't even seen part 2 of the deathly hallows. I read the book and that was enough. I can't see the franchise really going forward unless Harry Potter himself is involved and that would take further stories and books from JKR.
Old 06-27-24, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

And now they're at it again. Are ANY LotR fans clamoring for more LotR? It was damn near perfect the way it was and the Hobbit almost ruined it. Now there are a bunch of other projects on the docket that just come off as cash grabs.

I haven't followed HP as much. Haven't seen any of the new prequel. Hell, I haven't even seen part 2 of the deathly hallows. I read the book and that was enough. I can't see the franchise really going forward unless Harry Potter himself is involved and that would take further stories and books from JKR.
Hollywood now believes any property over 15 years old is ripe to be recycled. I'd say we're less than five years away from a complete Harry Potter reboot.
IBJoel (06-27-24)
Old 06-28-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 229 Posts

^Yeah that is a thought process they need to get away from.

Most have not been successful.
Old 06-28-24, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,666 Posts

I mean there are a lot of LotR fans clamoring for more LotR. I don't think anyone wants a remake but adapting some of the other lore/books, sure? Unfortunately it seems like the estate cut the license into pieces...
Old 06-28-24, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,946 Likes on 2,013 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I'd say we're less than five years away from a complete Harry Potter reboot.
They're already rebooting it as an HBO/MAX series, scheduled to start in 2026.
Old 07-06-24, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
They're already rebooting it as an HBO/MAX series, scheduled to start in 2026.
Seriously? As a reboot? I didn't hear anything about that.
Old 07-06-24, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,946 Likes on 2,013 Posts

It's been in the works for several years.

Officially announced last year: https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/har...ax-1235578295/

Just named showrunners a week ago: https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/har...ct-1236048911/
tanman (07-06-24)
Old 07-06-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
"Die Hard Miss Daisy!" (Or would it be "Driving Miss Die Hard"?) What a great sequel that would have made--for both movies! John McClane, fired from the police, gets a job as chauffeur to Miss Daisy on Morgan Freeman's day off, and they drive right into the middle of a hostage situation and McClane and Daisy are the only ones who can rescue the hostages. McClane, of course, has weapons hidden in the car and Miss Daisy had been taught as a girl to use firearms by her Southern Colonel dad in case of an "uprising" so she knows what to do. Who wouldn't want to see Jessica Tandy as an action star? And Morgan Freeman manages to join the fight at some point.
It's about time we got Argyle's origin story!
Ash Ketchum (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 350 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I find it amusing how a question about fixing the movie can be hijacked by a discussion about ratios, which only 5 nerds care about, since most people just know the screen is bigger than at home.
Cinemascope was created as a way for movie theaters to compete with television which was just coming out at the time. The whole point is a WIDER picture. Most current theaters just ruin that and don't give me any reason to go to them rather than stay home.

Don't think I've said this here before but I say it a lot- if we had just ONE good theater in my area, I'd go to it every week no matter what it was showing. NO theaters here meet that standard.
Old 07-07-24, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 714 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Presentation matters. Yes, quality content is important, but it can be rendered unappealing or simply underwhelming with poor image and lackluster audio.

Basically, I love spaghetti, but I won't much like it if the sauce is bland or the noodles are overcooked/mushy. And even if it's great, I won't eat it if you serve it to me in a bowl of crap.

Last edited by RocShemp; 07-07-24 at 04:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
Alan Smithee (07-07-24), Ash Ketchum (07-07-24)
Old 07-07-24, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Cinemascope was created as a way for movie theaters to compete with television which was just coming out at the time. The whole point is a WIDER picture. Most current theaters just ruin that and don't give me any reason to go to them rather than stay home.

Don't think I've said this here before but I say it a lot- if we had just ONE good theater in my area, I'd go to it every week no matter what it was showing. NO theaters here meet that standard.
I'm not saying that your point isn't valid as matter of quality, it totally is, but I'd asume that most people don't care that much about ratios in detail. You might go the movies on regular basis if the quality meets your standard, but the question is what brings the masses back and I don't think ratios are the key.
Spiderbite (07-07-24)