Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How would you "fix" movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How would you "fix" movies?

Old 06-12-24, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Re: How would you "fix" movies?

Since the Alamo in the Twin Cities abruptly closed down last week, I re-bought tickets to Deadpoool vs. Wolverine at the Marcus theater in my suburb. $17.30 a ticket for my wife and my son and me to go. Unless they figure out a way to open the Alamo back up, this is the only movie I'll see theatrically this year - I don't want to dodge spoilers on the internet until a home release for this movie and this movie only.

I was willing to pay that kind of price for a talking/texting-free experience at the Alamo (and I had a $20 a month season pass anyway where I could see a movie a day if I wanted to). Without that - it makes more economical sense for me to blind-buy every movie I want to see digitally - it's literally half the price and I'll own it too.

Last edited by Draven; 06-12-24 at 06:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Honestly, that won't make a difference given the amount of content readily available to audiences.

Pandora's Box was pretty much opened during the pandemic and audiences have a number of alternatives to choose from thanks to streaming and content creators that exist worldwide.

Do you think a family of 4 ( especially with small children) will make it priority #1 to rush to a theater to catch Moana 2 or Toy Story 5 because they're dreading the 6-month window to be able to watch it a home for less than $20???

I think not.
Anecdotally, it would for us. Take something like Godzilla -1, which was held back by Toei or whoever... I think I would have rushed to see it in the theater if I had known it was such a short engagement and it would take that long to come out. For family movies, I'd take my kids to a "cheaper" Tuesday showing of Inside Out 2 if I knew it would take 6-9 months to come out on streaming and/or I wasn't sure it would be on a service I subscribe to (I mean I might still do it because it's Summer time and it's an event for the family but it would be more compelling for sure). Ever since Disney + basically promised everything made by Disney to subscribers, I haven't been in any rush to buy physical media or see stuff in the theater. Again, good for the consumer but not so much the movie itself.

I don't think you can put the genie back in the bottle at this point, though. You'd need collusion from every major studio for one, then you'd need to wean the audiences back and lose a ton of money doing so.
Old 06-12-24, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 278 Posts

Movies mean a lot to me.

Here is the problem. They’re competing with this dude named Droofreed on TikTok who is famous for criticizing mailboxes. And it’s so entertaining and brings me so much joy.

And there are probably 20,000 similar social media entertainers out there that are hitting every niche conceivable.
The following 3 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), Crocker Jarmen (06-12-24), IBJoel (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Movies mean a lot to me.

Here is the problem. They’re competing with this dude named Droofreed on TikTok who is famous for criticizing mailboxes. And it’s so entertaining and brings me so much joy.

And there are probably 20,000 similar social media entertainers out there that are hitting every niche conceivable.
Honestly, *I* even just started a TikTok to try to promote older movies to Gen Z
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), tanman (06-22-24)
Old 06-12-24, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Movies mean a lot to me.

That's the thing though. Yes, there is original (often mindless) content. A lot of stuff is sourced from other media though, movies included. Like a ton. Or people aspiring to make bigger media. So now I'm depressed that we'll just be in this endlessly nostalgic state with nothing new or creative ever being made again and us just regurgitating the same thing over and over. We may already be there. This is like if traditional news sources die because everyone is getting their news from snippets on X and the like.

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Honestly, *I* even just started a TikTok to try to promote older movies to Gen Z
Does it involve you doing funky dances, and if so where is it?
Old 06-12-24, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's the thing though. Yes, there is original (often mindless) content. A lot of stuff is sourced from other media though, movies included. Like a ton. Or people aspiring to make bigger media. So now I'm depressed that we'll just be in this endlessly nostalgic state with nothing new or creative ever being made again and us just regurgitating the same thing over and over. We may already be there. This is like if traditional news sources die because everyone is getting their news from snippets on X and the like.

Does it involve you doing funky dances, and if so where is it?
It might soon, if I don't get more followers I'm starting to abandon my more measured style and do faster, snappier videos to try and compete
Old 06-12-24, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Movies mean a lot to me.

Here is the problem. They’re competing with this dude named Droofreed on TikTok who is famous for criticizing mailboxes. And it’s so entertaining and brings me so much joy..
I fucking love that guy. I literally saw a mailbox today driving through rural Pennsylvania that he would have loved to roast.
Old 06-12-24, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 584 Posts

SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT ACQUIRES ALAMO DRAFTHOUSE CINEMA

SPE will preserve Alamo Drafthouse’s distinctive movie-dining experience under newly established Sony Pictures Experiences division; Michael Kustermann will remain Alamo Drafthouse CEO and head new SPE division

June 12, 2024 – Culver City, CA – Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) and Alamo Drafthouse Cinema today announced that SPE has acquired Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, the unique and fastest growing theatrical exhibitor. The company will be managed within SPE under a newly established division, Sony Pictures Experiences. The deal reinforces SPE’s long-held commitment to theatrical exhibition and continued initiatives in experiential entertainment.

Alamo Drafthouse’s Michael Kustermann will remain CEO of the pioneering dine-in movie theater chain and head Sony Pictures Experiences, reporting to Ravi Ahuja, President and COO of SPE. Alamo Drafthouse will continue to operate all 35 of its cinemas across 25 metro areas under the Alamo Drafthouse brand. Alamo Drafthouse-owned Fantastic Fest, the world-renowned genre film festival, is included in the acquisition and will also continue to be operated by Alamo Drafthouse. The company’s headquarters will remain in Austin, Texas.

“We believe strongly in engaging entertainment fans outside the home in fun and distinctive ways as seen most recently with our Wheel of Fortune LIVE! traveling tour, and the opening of Wonderverse in Chicago,” said Ahuja. “Alamo Drafthouse’s differentiated movie-going experience, admired brand and devoted community fit well with this vision. Our Crunchyroll business also aligns well with their audience’s interests. We look forward to building upon the innovations that have made Alamo Drafthouse successful and will, of course, continue to welcome content from all studios and distributors.”

Alamo Drafthouse was founded in 1997 by Tim and Karrie League as a single-screen mom and pop repertory theater in Austin, TX and has grown into a thriving and dynamic dine-in cinema chain that is beloved by its fans and industry alike. As North America’s 7th largest theater chain, it releases more movies per year than any other theater chain, welcomes over 10 million guests annually, and has built a highly engaged core audience of 4 million loyalty members. Last year, the theater chain saw a 30 percent jump in box office revenue from the previous year, which came in ahead of the industry at large.

“We are beyond thrilled to join forces with Sony Pictures Entertainment to expand our company vision to be the best damn cinema that has ever, or will ever, exist now in ways we could only ever dream of,” said Tim League, Founder Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. “They have a deep respect and understanding of cinema’s ability to both drive growth and create lasting cultural impact which aligns perfectly with everything Alamo Drafthouse stands for.”

“Alamo Drafthouse has always held the craft of filmmaking and the theatrical experience in high esteem, which are fundamental shared values between our companies. I’m jazzed that our company is doing this,” said Tom Rothman, Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Motion Picture Group.

“We are excited to make history with Sony Pictures Entertainment and have found the right home and partner for Alamo Drafthouse Cinema,” said Michael Kustermann, CEO of Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. “We were created by film lovers for film lovers. We know how important this is to Sony, and it serves as further evidence of their commitment to the theatrical experience. Together we will continue to innovate and bring exciting new opportunities for our teammates and moviegoers alike.”

SPE acquired Alamo Drafthouse from owners Altamont Capital Partners, Fortress Investment Group and founder Tim League. Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC acted as exclusive financial advisor to Alamo Drafthouse in the transaction.
Old 06-12-24, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I guess the legislation did change?

Oh wait did Sony own the theater in the Metreon way back when?

edited: yes the legislation changed in 2020 though this is the first time it's been tested

Last edited by fujishig; 06-12-24 at 02:34 PM.
Old 06-12-24, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 584 Posts

So I guess the legislation did change?

Oh wait did Sony own the theater in the Metreon way back when?
Sony owned the Metreon and way, way back they owned the Loews theaters. But no.. they sold off Loews ownership and the Metreon was part of Cineplex Odeon, but is now an AMCs.
Old 06-12-24, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

One has to wonder if the studios have been purposely undermining and devaluing the major theatrical chains in order to purchase them on the cheap and "save" them from bankruptcy, thus controlling the creation, distribution and exhibition?

In corporate America? .... naw, that would never happen.
IBJoel (06-12-24)
Old 06-12-24, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 513 Likes on 337 Posts

Wow, I thought you were brilliantly describing a hypothetical TikTok video personality. Turns out you were just stating the facts.
Ash Ketchum (06-13-24)
Old 06-12-24, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangerunner
One has to wonder if the studios have been purposely undermining and devaluing the major theatrical chains in order to purchase them on the cheap and "save" them from bankruptcy, thus controlling the creation, distribution and exhibition?

Considering the state of most of the studios, who are suffering right along with the theaters, I doubt it. Though maybe they really are that stupid.
Old 06-13-24, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Studios and theaters are locked in a death spiral with each other. Something has to give (and it'll probably be theaters). I definitely see lots more multiplexes closing down - there isn't enough worthwhile content to justify so many screens at theater prices.

I went from going to see random movies just because I was bored to just buying stuff digitally when I want to watch it. It's cheaper and I own it - there is no downside and a LOT of upsides. Eventually the bottom will fall out on that too, but until then, this is how I'm watching 99% of content these days.
ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-13-24, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, you don't really "own" it...
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
Abob Teff (06-14-24), BobO'Link (06-16-24), ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-13-24, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,896 Likes on 2,782 Posts

Whether you agree or not, I think a lot of mid budget and smaller films deserve to have the opportunity to be supported theatrically. And I'm not talking about direct to video movies starring Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins, or JCVD.

I don't like the stigma that unless it's some huge event film or blockbuster with action, explosions, lots of special FX, it's a "streaming" movie.

I understand that we all value things differently. But, lots of A24 movies like Past Lives, Everything Everywhere all at once, which have small budgets, would not have gotten the type of notoriety or awards contention they received if they were dumped to a streaming service and then quickly forgotten. "Big movies" alone cannot sustain the movie making industry.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-13-24 at 03:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
Ash Ketchum (06-13-24), IBJoel (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's hard to believe a film such as the documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 opened in June 2004 and became a $120 million summer hit. The climate has completely changed as a film like this today would go straight to streaming and have very little impact or lasting value.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangerunner:
Ash Ketchum (06-13-24), IBJoel (06-13-24), ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-13-24, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, you don't really "own" it...
Well, I copy the files to an external drive and keep hoping someone comes up with a good DRM cracker - TunesKit was the shit back in the day. I might fire up my ancient Mac laptop and see if I can get it ripping DRM off again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
IBJoel (06-13-24), ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-13-24, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 391 Likes on 278 Posts

Yes. I think what you're describing is market saturation. It's kind of the sad term that I don't want to talk about and probably the reason that the industry needs "fixed".

More kids started going to flim school. The film and TV industries were largely democratized. If you have a script and willing to shop it around, someone will probably bite. It's not a one-in-a-thousand shot like it has been in the past.

As a moviegoer, it makes me appreciate the old closed-door system where it was really really hard to make a movie. For all the commercialization, they invested a lot of risk in movies that live in our psyche. Great movies are still being made on a regular basis. I'm not sure it's a part of culture like it once was.

Yes, the lesser movies of the past went direct to video. I assume the ratio of theatrical vs direct-to-streaming now is entirely different.

Happened in music too. Look at Taylor Swift or Drake. A lot of people couldn't identify a single song from them. But they're the biggest stars. In the 90's, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know an Aerosmith song. Some of my favorite musicians now are utterly obscure.

I'd be curious to see how many "active musicians" are out there, compared to 20-30 years ago. Likewise, I'd be curious to see how many films are being produced. I'd be surprised if the industries haven't tripled.

The problem is ultimately the industry's problem. They need to make more movies that people are obsessed with.
IBJoel (06-13-24)
Old 06-13-24, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 889 Likes on 750 Posts

It's virtually impossible today having a solid moneymaking career as a musician. Back in the day you could sustain yourself playing small clubs and hoping a record label would scoop you up, even acts that never made it beyond their local scene. That's long over. You can't even dream of making a #1 hit because that means so little in today's streaming market. Basically only fools get into the music business today with any aspiration beyond doing it solely for the fun. There are still groupies as a perk, I guess.
IBJoel (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Whether you agree or not, I think a lot of mid budget and smaller films deserve to have the opportunity to be supported theatrically. And I'm not talking about direct to video movies starring Michael Jai White, Scott Adkins, or JCVD.

I don't like the stigma that unless it's some huge event film or blockbuster with action, explosions, lots of special FX, it's a "streaming" movie.
I broadly agree, but will point out that it's the aame "stigma" that TV had, and while it took a while (with exceptions), eventually it became obvious that is not a stigma, just a difference.
Old 06-14-24, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ntnon
I broadly agree, but will point out that it's the aame "stigma" that TV had, and while it took a while (with exceptions), eventually it became obvious that is not a stigma, just a difference.
The stigma network television had were the restrictions placed on content with advertisers influencing the allowable levels of violence, language and sexuality. Of course HBO, Showtime and other cable channels broke through that mold as they were ad-free services which granted them more freedom and arguably better programs.
ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,005 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner

Wasn't that what the Dukes were trying to do in Trading Places? I'm not a stock market enthusiast, I find that stuff mind-numbingly boring, so that part of the film kinda goes over my head. But I think that was the Dukes plan, the opposite of the traditional stock market advice; they sell high to buy low.

By the way, a quick visit to IMDb shows that that is now illegal, and because Trading Places demonstrated it so well, it's literally called the "Eddie Murphy Rule". The more you know...
ntnon (06-14-24)
Old 06-14-24, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Basically only fools get into the music business today with any aspiration beyond doing it solely for the fun.
With a few (maybe many) caveats and qualifiers... GOOD.

Make music, art, literature because you want to. Not because you might get rich, but because you have something to offer, add, say or do.
Old 06-14-24, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look at Taylor Swift or Drake. A lot of people couldn't identify a single song from them. But they're the biggest stars. In the 90's, you'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know an Aerosmith song.
That may be a generational, personal-bias or target-market based thought. I imagine it's a similar number of people - probably more in favor of Swift - who could (and could not) identify/sing/name a Taylor Swift song now vs an Aerosmith song then.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.