Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024, D: G. Miller) -- The Spoiler-Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Furiosa?
7.89%
21.05%
34.21%
18.42%
10.53%
5.26%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest
2.63%
Have watched the series, but I hate prequels
0%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024, D: G. Miller) -- The Spoiler-Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-29-24, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,899 Likes on 2,785 Posts
Re: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024, D: G. Miller) -- The Spoiler-Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nikkijo
According to many youtube channels it bombed.
The only YouTube movie pundit worth citing is Dan Murrell since he actually studies and researches box office numbers and knows how the box office works.

And yes, he said the numbers were really bad.

Old 05-29-24, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 563 Posts
Re: Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024, D: G. Miller) -- The Spoiler-Filled Reviews Thread

Well, I'd like to help its numbers, but seems that after today, the movie departs theaters in Puerto Rico.

https://caribbeancinemas.com/es/movie/9316/
Old 05-29-24, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,066 Likes on 845 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Well, I'd like to help its numbers, but seems that after today, the movie departs theaters in Puerto Rico.

https://caribbeancinemas.com/es/movie/9316/
It shows times through June 5th there?
Old 05-29-24, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
It shows times through June 5th there?
Hot damn! Up until when I posted that link, there were no showings past May 29.
Old 05-30-24, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

Was scheduled to go see The Fall Guy, but the wife watched Fury Road Tuesday night and wanted to watch this instead (fine by me).

I don't like prequels and don't like Anya Taylor Joy so much, but really enjoyed this.

I particularly enjoyed trying to figure out Dementus' brand of toxic masculinity.
  • Lord Humongous has (an outdated) BDSM/deviant gang
  • Immortan Joe has a viking death cult
  • Dementus is like... biker gladiator legionnaires?
Action scenes were awesome, although a lot of the CGI was... it definitely fit, but always took me out of the moment
Old 05-30-24, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,672 Likes on 4,555 Posts

I really liked it! Yes, it wasn't as good or cohesive as Fury Road (which I consider to be the greatest action film of the 21st century), but it did work nicely as a companion piece and felt less inessential than most prequels. Some truly spectacular set pieces, and Taylor-Joy and Hemsworth were both fabulous, as were the young Furiosa and her mother.
It was certainly tougher to watch than Fury Road with some nasty implied gore, but thankfully was pretty restrained on-screen.

It's really sad that it bombed and Miller won't be returning to this world. I certainly would have enjoyed another visit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Draven (05-30-24), IBJoel (05-30-24)
Old 05-30-24, 04:56 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 848 Posts

I didnít notice in one trailer, but saw in anotherÖwhat the fuck did they do to Chris Hemsworth? WTH was with that stupid prosthetic nose? My god itís so obvious and hideous.
Old 06-01-24, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 416 Likes on 279 Posts

For my money, this is the greatest prequel in the history of cinema. Most prequels have no need to exist. You could watch Fury Road and say the same thing. Thereís no need for a prequel. Itís almost like George Miller heard people saying that when the prequel was announced and was like ďoh really? Hold my beerĒ. This is a prequel that not only has a reason to exist, but is a film that demands to be seen. It rejuvenates the modern action movie and is the litmus test all future action movies should be held to. It also makes Fury Road even better, if thatís even possible. George Miller is 79 years old and is making the best films of his career. Maybe because he is twice the age of all other blockbuster directors, it accounts for why he is making films twice as good. Chris Hemsworth should be Oscar nominated for this. Dementus makes Thor look like a pussy. Anya Taylor Joy and the young girl who also plays Furiosa were fucking fantastic. Itís a damn shame that this didnít do very well at the box office. Itís the best blockbuster movie since the last Mad Max. I hope to see it again in IMAX before itís shuffled out of theatres to make way for something vastly inferior. Anyways. 5 stars. Modern day masterpiece.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hazel Motes:
Draven (06-02-24), Meathead (06-01-24)
Old 06-01-24, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched this today. Liked it, didn't love it. Bad pacing, some boring stretches, but good action, and solid performances.

I liked the Stacy Keach Jr. lookalike, Tom Burke, as wish.com Max, Praetorian Jack. Both Alyla Browne and Anya Taylor-Joy do a great job of portraying Furiosa.

I didn't like how this movie makes Furiosa's beef with Immortan Joe nonsensical. Sure, he was an asshole, but her "remember me?" at the end of Mad Max: Fury Road implied a deeper hatred, making it seem he was the one who kidnapped Furiosa and killed her mother. Also, weird that Miller chose to retcon the Vuvalini (Miller had gone on record how they would rape -- referred to as "milking" -- random men and exile or outright murder their sons) in the brief moment we see the green place, and have Furiosa taken alone (in Mad Max: Fury Road it's stated they were taken together, with the mother dying on their third day of captivity).

Also, weird to see Josh Helman as Scrotus, after previously portraying Slit in Mad Max: Fury Road. But then Miller likes recycling actors in these movies.

Old 06-02-24, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 330 Likes on 237 Posts

We went yesterday. It was Ok not great. If it does anything it will cause me to see Fury Road again.

I could have waited for streaming. RocShemp sums it up pretty good above. I found it to be very confusing at times.

They didn't do Chris Hemsworth any favors making him look and sound stupid. Just another baddie who want to take things over and then they turn to shit.

Yeah this movie didn't need to exist and maybe that is why the box office is poor? It really adds nothing except how she lost an arm and didn't know the way home.

Last edited by d2cheer; 06-02-24 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-02-24, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
They didn't do Chris Hemsworth any favors making him look and sound stupid. Just another baddie who want to take things over and then they turn to shit.
The trailer made him seem more imposing. Instead, he's just a wannabe Immortan Joe. And speaking of the latter, it was far more interesting that the same man who was too clever to fall for Dementus' ruse with Gas Town, and cleverly made it seem he was leaving the Citadel undefended, is the same idiot who then legitimately emptied the Citadel, Gas Town, and the Bullet Farm of all their soldiers during the beginning of Mad Max: Fury Road. I get that due to Hugh Keays-Byrne's death, George Miller originally planned to only show Joe via body double (as was done with Max during his cameo) until Lachy Hulme convinced him otherwise, but this movie should have been about the growing rift between Furiosa and Immortan Joe.
Old 06-02-24, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,280 Likes on 985 Posts

The trailer made him seem more imposing. Instead, he's just a wannabe Immortan Joe. And speaking of the latter, it was far more interesting that the same man who was too clever to fall for Dementus' ruse with Gas Town, and cleverly made it seem he was leaving the Citadel undefended, is the same idiot who then legitimately emptied the Citadel, Gas Town, and the Bullet Farm of all their soldiers during the beginning of Mad Max: Fury Road. I get that due to Hugh Keays-Byrne's death, George Miller originally planned to only show Joe via body double (as was done with Max during his cameo) until Lachy Hulme convinced him otherwise, but this movie should have been about the growing rift between Furiosa and Immortan Joe.
Joe is much older in FR and in much worse health, so I give his mental faculties a pass. That and his top crop of wives bolted. I'd be out of my mind if my prime harem had ditched me, too.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-03-24)
Old 06-02-24, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,094 Likes on 763 Posts

This is my biggest issue with this movie. Not that Immortan Joe acts out of character, but the fact that this is a prequel and that those are even relevant questions that need to be asked. One of the best things about the Mad Max franchise is that the movies all stand alone and I don't have to care about any consistent lore. Just give me the further adventures of whomever. Don't get bogged down in backstory and making things match up with other movies.
Old 06-02-24, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Joe is much older in FR and in much worse health, so I give his mental faculties a pass. That and his top crop of wives bolted. I'd be out of my mind if my prime harem had ditched me, too.
I know. That's why I found that interesting, unlike anything with Dementus.
Old 06-02-24, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know. That's why I found that interesting, unlike anything with Dementus.
I saw Dementus as The Wasteland's version of The Joker. Even at the end when Furiosa was beating on him and he wouldn't yield and kept egging her on - reminded me of when Batman is beating on Joker in the interrogation room in TDK.
Old 06-02-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I saw Dementus as The Wasteland's version of The Joker. Even at the end when Furiosa was beating on him and he wouldn't yield and kept egging her on - reminded me of when Batman is beating on Joker in the interrogation room in TDK.
Meh. I get why you could make that connection, but that's giving Dementus too much credit. He was a lame villain (with a cool chariot).
Old 06-02-24, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Overall, I liked this - thought it had some good scenes and ATJ was great. Fury Road definitely the better movie to me, just based on how high octane it was from the start. This had more building, which wasn't a bad thing, just not what I was expecting.

But - the Hemsworth nose/teeth (the nose especially) and his voice affectation distracted me the entire movie. I'd have rather they do nothing at all (other than dirty/weather him up), or go full on with an entirely different look. The slight changes to his look ended up being more distracting than if they had just gone full on with something else (huge scar across face like his wife? Obviously not that but something like it). And the voice was just overly comical at times.
Old 06-02-24, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 318 Posts

Absolutely wonderful performances from Anya Taylor-Joy & Alyla Brown.

Even though folks weren't too keen on Chris Hemsworth as Dementus, I enjoyed his performance here.

Didn't care for the character of Praetorian Jack (Tom Burke) as he felt incredibly flat emotionally.

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) felt like the fresher film but it was wonderful returning to The Wasteland.

Last edited by asianxcore; 06-03-24 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-02-24, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 295 Likes on 187 Posts

I was out of the country on vacation so this had to wait until today. Loved it, fantastic action movie that's also well written.
Old 06-03-24, 10:46 AM
Administrator

Received 1,107 Likes on 643 Posts

I loved Dementus. He's basically a bargain bin Dan Blizerian type: dipshit macho guys with "SPRQ" in their Insta bio who aren't actually competent in anything

Last edited by IBJoel; 06-03-24 at 01:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Why So Blu? (06-03-24)
Old 06-03-24, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 186 Posts

I enjoyed it. Felt it did a nice job of fleshing out some parts from Fury Road. I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Fury Road, but that could be because I was blown away by Fury Road when it came out. Any time a prequel comes out years after the movie in its timeline, I'm concerned about viewing order on subsequent viewings. It seems that many prequels require seeing the sequel first to make sense of everything, or the prequel having much bigger setpieces. This one doesn't, and I appreciate that. While the action was still big and bold, I still think Fury Road's is more impressive. I'm looking forward to showing the series to my kids when they get older.

I hope there's still enough guzzolean in the tank for the proposed Wasteland movie.
Old 06-03-24, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Meh. I get why you could make that connection, but that's giving Dementus too much credit. He was a lame villain (with a cool chariot).
Let me clarify and say I don't think Dementus is as smart as the Joker, just that the beatdown scene reminded me of that one scene in TDK. Dementus couldn't keep his army together before they all split off in the end.
Old 06-06-24, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 567 Likes on 396 Posts

Saw this again with my friend who made it back from vacation just in time for IMAX. Still give it 5 stars as does he. Movie flies by for me... I wouldn't cut anything out.
Old 06-07-24, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 231 Likes on 165 Posts

Saw this in it's last full day on the Dolby screen - looked and sounded awesome as expected. I enjoyed it, I was surprised by how many of the Fury Road cast/characters showed up. But it all just sorta reminded me of how much better a sequel would've been. And I checked my watch - a full hour goes by before we see Furiosa grown up. It wasn't bad, but you could've had just as good of a film with 30 minutes of that cut out and conveyed differently imo. That's the kind of thing that should've been caught before even approving the budget for this film. Also didn't need such a direct tie in to Fury Road at the end, if your making a prequel, just make it something that you could watch on it's own, without any expectation that you've seen the other film(s).
Old 06-08-24, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The Old Jedi FINALLY found the time to catch up with “Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga” and I definitely enjoyed it, even though, frankly, it was all over the place story-wise. But that actually helps give the movie a unique personality.

I have been watching the Mad Max series since 1979 and, upon reflection, this film has the best and clearest explanation of the politics of The Wasteland. Just realize that the story focuses primarily on the experiences and actions of Furiosa, played here by the terrific and stoic Anya Taylor-Joy, playing the younger version of the character introduced in 2015’s Mad Max: Fury Road, and embodied by Charlize Theron. Those eyes were mesmerizing!

A couple of personal observations. I was snickering and giggling as the movie progressed and bad guy Dr. Dementus (Chris Helmsworth intentionally going for laughs) is shown in an outfit that has morphed at one point into a goofy version of the Thor costume. Seriously, talk me out of it.

And another observation, from my perspective. It was fun seeing the “Mad Max” universe from a different angle, the way that “The Acolyte” has shown the Star Wars universe from another perspective.

Parents, be advised that Furiosa earns it R-rating primarily through fairly graphic violence and plenty of gore that includes explosions and the loss of body parts, including a graphic explanation of Furiosa’s missing left arm. There are also about two or three scenes where the F-bomb is spoken but barely heard.

Again, though, a great movie that the Old Jedi really enjoyed, and is happy to give 4 out of 5 lightsabers. I am interested to see further expansion of the Mad Max world. Get on it, George Miller!

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 06-08-24 at 06:44 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.