Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Entertainment System Is Down (D: Östlund) S: Reeves, Dunst, Brühl

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-15-24, 08:26 AM

Received 4,681 Likes on 3,169 Posts

Keanu Reeves (John Wick) is now confirmed for Ruben Östlund’s anticipated upcoming film The Entertainment System Is Down and we can reveal that he’ll be joined in the cast by Kirsten Dunst (Civil War) and Daniel Brühl (Rush).

We can also reveal some intriguing plot and production points about the social satire.

We are told that two-time Palme d’Or winner Östlund has bought a retired Boeing 747 for the project, with the plane set to be used full scale for the shoot in a studio.

Set on a long-haul flight where the entertainment system fails, the film will see passengers forced to face the horror of being bored. We hear that a bunch more well known cast will be joining the project, which is scheduled to shoot in early 2025.

In preparing the movie, the Swedish filmmaker was inspired by a social psychological study at Virginia University called ‘The Challenge Of The Disengaged Mind.’ The experiment found that participants did not enjoy spending 6 to 15 minutes in a room by themselves with nothing to do but think. To take the experiment one step further, the researchers added a twist: With the touch of a button, the test subjects could, if desired, give themselves a harmless but very painful electric shock. It turned out that a quarter of all women and two-thirds of all men chose to press the button. One man even found being alone with his thoughts so unbearable that, during the 15 minutes, he gave himself 190 electric shocks.

The project will be Östlund’s second English-language film and seventh feature after The Guitar Mongoloid (2004), Involuntary (2008), Play (2011), Force Majeure (2014), The Square (2017) and Triangle of Sadness (2022). The last two of these won the director the Palme d’Or in Cannes, meaning he is one of only a handful of filmmakers to have won the accolade twice.

The film will be a Swedish-German-French co-production, and will reunite the director with his longtime colleagues, producer Erik Hemmendorff of Plattform Produktion and producer Philippe Bober from Paris-based Coproduction Office, which is also handling world sales.

Interest is understandably high and pre-sales are expected to close at this week’s Cannes market, the project’s first. Reeves was first reported to be in talks last month by Variety.
https://deadline.com/2024/05/kirsten...47-1235916321/

Östlund's follow up to Triangle of Sadness. Very much looking forward to this.

A crossover event with the thread in Otter!
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,035 Likes on 819 Posts
Re: The Entertainment System Is Down (D: Östlund) S: Reeves, Dunst, Brühl

Sounds electrifying!
The following 3 users liked this post by RichC2:
Inhumans99 (05-15-24), ntnon (05-16-24), story (05-15-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:34 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Set on a long-haul flight where the entertainment system fails, the film will see passengers forced to face the horror of being bored.
I imagine, for full effect, it may take place far enough in the past where cell phones and tablets weren’t the norm.

I didn’t love most of Triangle of Sadness like many other folks, but Force Majeure is one of my favourite movies ever, so I’m down for this either way.
ntnon (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
I imagine, for full effect, it may take place far enough in the past where cell phones and tablets weren’t the norm.
Doesn't seem so.

Here is some more info from an interview a few months back. FYI... There are potential spoilers in the article that he himself reveals.

Director Ruben Östlund announced in Cannes that he wanted one of the scenes in his upcoming airplane disaster movie The Entertainment System Is Down to prompt the biggest walkout in the history of cinema.

Seven months on, the Swedish two-time Cannes Palme d’Or winner is getting closer to realizing this ambition having completed the screenplay for the film.

“It’s being translated into English. We’ll be going everywhere for the casting… The aim is to shoot in early 2025,” the director told Deadline at the Les Arcs Film Festival in the French Alps earlier this week.

As previously revealed, the social satire will be set on a long-haul flight which descends into deadly chaos when the inflight entertainment system goes down.

“Modern human beings are used to being able to distract themselves with screens, we’re never bored. Soon after take-off on this long-haul flight – I was thinking something like London to Sydney – the passengers get the horrible news that the entertainment system is not working. As their iPhones and iPads start charging out, they’re doomed to analogue boredom,” recapped Östlund.

“It’s been a great challenge to write the script because you’re very limited when it comes to creating dynamic, nuance, and energy in one closed environment like that. So, it took a long time but I think I’ve managed to do something dynamic, even if it takes place in one place,” he added.

The site of the shoot has yet to be set but Östlund says the plan is to build a life-size replica of a modern airplane in a studio.

“I don’t want to limit myself to working in small sections… I want to be able to do long tracking shots. It will be one of the biggest studio builds when it comes to airplanes that has ever been made,” he explained.

Östlund expanded on plans for the ‘walkout scene’, which he has previously revealed will revolve around a young boy’s 10-minute wait for his turn to look at the family iPad.

“We’ll go from a dynamic film to a real-time shot where we see this kid dealing with restlessness for 10 minutes… After a bit the kid will ask how much time has passed and the answer will be, ‘There are nine minutes and 30 seconds left’,” said Östlund.

He recalled a scene in Ingmar Bergman’s 1968 psychological horror The Wolf Hour, in which Max von Sydow’s tortured artist character takes out his watch and declares how long a minute is and then proceeds to watch it pass in real-time.

“It’s a very strong moment… It will be super interesting when the audience comes to understand it’s being challenged by director and starts thinking, ‘Are we going to sit and watch this kid for 10 minutes?’ I think it’s more provocative than any other content… You can create something spectacular, out of something that is not spectacular.”

Östlund has also taken inspiration from Maastricht University’s 2016 ‘Self-Inflicted Pain Out Of Boredom’ experiment, in which participants were made to sit and do nothing for 15 minutes with the option of self-administering small electric shocks.

“Three-quarters of men pushed the button and one-third of all women. One guy pushed the button 190 times,” says the director.

Not worried about spoilers, Östlund reveals that the aircraft will go down and everyone on board will die.

Quizzed on whether he has been watching other airplane disaster movies as part of the development process, Östlund brings up the poster for the 1980 spoof picture Airplane! showing a jumbo jet twisted in a knot.

“It’s the best poster. I really want to buy the rights and use it for The Entertainment System Is Down.”

Östlund was at the Les Arcs Film Festival in the role of ambassador to its Talent Village initiative, mentoring eight emerging directors working on their first feature-length films.

The director, who is also a professor at Gothenburg University, says teaching fits with his filmmaking style.

“I’m open about my process. When I’m working on the film, I have no problem talking about it. I never feel like I’m wasting energy by meeting people. For me, part of why I enjoy filmmaking is because it’s a social process. When I meet people, and they tell me about their project, I learn something myself.”

One piece of key advice he had for emerging filmmakers is to always have one standout scene on which they can sell their project, in the vein of his planned scene for The Entertainment System Is Down; the spectacular avalanche scene in his 2014 Les Arcs set drama Force Majeure, or the vomiting sequence in Triangle Of Sadness.

“There’s so such competition, your project really needs to pop out. For me, a big part of the process is pitching my films and thinking about how I’m going to catch the attention of the person who is listening. On Force Majeure, I said, ‘We’re going to do the most spectacular avalanche scene in the history of filmmaking.’ When someone says this, it makes the listener sit up,” he said.

Östlund has a strong relationship with the Les Arcs ski domain, having shot Force Majeure there.

“I first visited in my 20s, when I was a ski bum in Val d’Isère,” he said, referring to the famed ski resort in the neighboring valley.

Östlund recalls how he was immediately struck by the modernist architecture of the Arc 1600 and Arc 1800 stations.

They were designed in the 1960s by former Le Corbusier collaborator Charlotte Perriand, who took an egalitarian approach to ensure all the apartments enjoyed the same space and views on the surrounding mountains.

“I knew about the resort and its very specific architecture and that feeling of these high-rise buildings put up in the wilds of nature,” says Östlund.

A chance meeting with producer and Les Arcs Film Festival co-founder Pierre Emmanuel Fleurantin, who hails from the neighboring town of Bourg Saint Maurice, brought Östlund back to Les Arcs.

“He was the connection, even if I already knew about it. I looked at other places with similar architecture like Avoriaz, but decided Arc 1800 was most interesting.”

Östlund says he still loves being in the mountains, but more for the sense of risk than a continued passion for skiing.

“In these times, risk is completely built out of my life except for when I go skiing,” he said, before acknowledging that making a $13 million picture like Triangle Of Sadness is not an entirely risk free affair.

That film gathered nearly 40 different production companies led by Plattform Produktion, Östlund’s company with long-time producer Erik Hemmendorff, and Philippe Bober’s Coproduction Office, which also handled sales.

Östlund said the new film will likely be financed in a similar way with distribution rights being sold territory by territory to long-time theatrical distribution partners.

“European art house distributors have been a part of building my connection to the audience. I like that way of of slowly progressing and slowly building,” he said.

“Selling five million tickets in the cinemas was quite an extraordinary success [on Triangle Of Sadness] and this was because of the work of the different distributors in the different territories. I want to continue that path, which means it will be a European co-production.”
https://deadline.com/2023/12/ruben-o...te-1235680794/
Old 05-15-24, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 984 Likes on 713 Posts

This sounds like the dumbest movie plot I've ever read. If passengers used their phones/tablets until the batteries drained, it reduces the time of "boredom" to half a dozen hours or so. Take a nap. Read a book. Nothing about that scenario would be interesting enough to make a movie.
Old 05-15-24, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 285 Likes on 237 Posts

I gave your post a like RIch because someone had to take that shot, the door was wide open in front of you so you had to walk through it. Lol.

Also, the experiment itself sounds interesting (I had not heard of it until just now) but I am not so sure about the setting of this film being on a plane. If the movie is supposed to be funny it will be crazy hard to not be distracted by the fact that Airplane! is right there just beckoning to you to watch it yet again. I get it, this film is not supposed to be a film in the same vein as Airplane!, and I admit to being a wee bit curious what the film is really about. Right now, all we know is it might be loosely based on this Swedish experiment and that passengers are forced to endure the horror of not using electronic items on their flight.

I have flown enough times where I barely used my phone/tablet (including a fairly long flight from CA to Chicago just a couple years back) on the flight that the devil will be in the details as to why passengers on a flight that cannot use their iPhone might be considered a must watch by certain film critics. We shall see, we shall see.
RichC2 (05-16-24)
Old 05-15-24, 09:53 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,203 Likes on 852 Posts

Hmm interesting. Can’t say that spoiler is surprising, but I’m still intrigued.
Old 05-15-24, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 204 Posts

Here is your movie.

Men will immediately start raping and pillaging ( this will be his walk out scene). WHY because every disaster/end of the world/ type movie show us this must happen when systems break down.

People will take sides...

Animal Farm ensues...plane crashes because people are stupid.

The end.

Last edited by d2cheer; 05-15-24 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-15-24, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,893 Likes on 1,263 Posts

The movie sounds great to me.
Old 05-16-24, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 339 Likes on 258 Posts

Sounds like a first-world problem.
Old 05-18-24, 09:03 AM

“It’s f–ing hard to make a good airplane movie,” Swedish filmmaker Ruben Östlund emphasized multiple times Saturday morning in Cannes as he spoke to international press about his plans for The Entertainment System Is Down, the latest feature he has set to direct starring a buzzy cast led by Kirsten Dunst and Daniel Brühl.

His follow-up to the Palme d’Or-winning satire Triangle of Sadness, The Entertainment System Is Down is another social satire, this time set on a long-haul flight where the entertainment systems fail, and an eclectic group of international passengers are forced to face the horror of being bored.

As we reported earlier this week, Östlund and his producer, Erik Hemmendorff, have purchased a real-life Boeing 747 where he told the press today he will mount the production over 70 days on a studio lot.

“We bought the plane and it was quite early in the process of the film. So suddenly it was like, ‘Oh, we have to make this film,” Östlund said at the presser hosted by Sweden’s Film i Väst. Dunst and Brühl joined him.

“Being in a studio for 70 days trying to find the energy and the motivation when you’re in the same environment is going to be tough.”

Digging further into the plot of the pic, Östlund said the film’s jumping-off point is when a man falls asleep beside his wife after the entertainment systems drop.

“His wife is bored so after a while she sees her husband’s phone and decides to unlock it,” Östlund said. “Turns out, she doesn’t know the code, so she uses his face to unlock the phone with face ID. She then finds out he has had multiple affairs with young women. So they’re going to be dealing with that during the flight. It’s an emotional roller coaster.”

Dunst and Brühl will play the doomed married couple. Also set to star are Keanu Reeves and Succession actor Nicholas Hoult.

Brühl told the packed room of journalists that he was first unofficially cast in the film some years ago after he got talking to Östlund at a barbeque he hosted at his home in Majorca. Dunst, however, said she auditioned for the Swede.

“I sent a self-tape,” Dunst said. “I did an improv of the whole phone scenario.”

A Scandinavian journalist later asked Dunst about her history working with filmmakers from the region and whether she saw any similarities between Östlund and her Melancholia director Lars Von Trier. Nervously chuckling, Dunst said she’d politely “pass on the question” before adding: “I always wanna work with people that push the boundaries of cinema.”

Dunst was famously sat next to the often controversial Von Trier in 2018 during the Melancholia press conference in Cannes where the director said he “sympathized” with Hitler. After the comments, Von Trier was declared “persona non grata” by festival organizers. He returned to Cannes in 2018 with The House That Jack Built.

Östlund later told the room that he should be back at Cannes in 2026 where he will debut The Entertainment System Is Down. The project will be Östlund’s second English-language film and seventh feature after The Guitar Mongoloid (2004), Involuntary (2008), Play (2011), Force Majeure (2014), The Square (2017) and Triangle of Sadness (2022). The last two of these won the director the Palme d’Or, meaning he is one of only a handful of filmmakers to have won the Cannes accolade twice.

The film will be a Swedish-German-French co-production, and will reunite the director with his longtime colleagues, producer Hemmendorff of Plattform Produktion and producer Philippe Bober from Paris-based Coproduction Office, which is also handling world sales. The project is being shopped at the Cannes market.
https://deadline.com/2024/05/ruben-o...al-1235922087/
Old 05-18-24, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
I am not so sure about the setting of this film being on a plane. If the movie is supposed to be funny it will be crazy hard to not be distracted by the fact that Airplane! is right there just beckoning to you to watch it yet again. I get it, this film is not supposed to be a film in the same vein as Airplane!, and I admit to being a wee bit curious what the film is really about. Right now, all we know is it might be loosely based on this Swedish experiment and that passengers are forced to endure the horror of not using electronic items on their flight.
​​​​​​*shrug* Such comparisons (if they ever occurred) didn't hurt La Guagua Aerea back when it was first released in 1993.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8i2neg

Although I can't say I have any interest in this movie (the premise sounds, well, boring).
Old 05-18-24, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,565 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

A crossover event with the thread in Otter!

I'd be good, I always throw a paperback in my luggage just in case, and I'm someone who's perfectly ok to be alone with just my thoughts for a period of time, that's where having a good imagination comes in handy.
Old 05-19-24, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 204 Posts

The more he keeps talking about it the worse it sounds...oh a man and an affair. doomed married couple blah blah. All done to death and tired cliché's.