Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024, D: Ball) -- The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes?
0%
25.00%
41.67%
8.33%
16.67%
0%
8.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No interest, Not for me
0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-24, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Director Wes Ball breathes new life into the global, epic franchise set several generations in the future following Caesar’s reign, in which apes are the dominant species living harmoniously and humans have been reduced to living in the shadows. As a new tyrannical ape leader builds his empire, one young ape undertakes a harrowing journey that will cause him to question all that he has known about the past and to make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike.

• Directed By

Wes Ball
  • Written By

Josh Friedman, Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Patrick Aison
  • Produced By

Wes Ball, Joe Hartwick, Jr., Rick Jaffa, Amanda Silver, Jason Reed
  • Cast

Owen Teague, Freya Allan, Kevin Durand, Peter Macon, William H. Mac

Running Time: 2 hours, 25 Minutes

RT Score: 86% as of 5/8/24

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/kin...et_of_the_apes

Early screenings start tonight and some theaters are giving out a free poster.

Was initially scheduled to work tonight, but my shift got cancelled, so I will be seeing this tonight

Old 05-08-24, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts
Re: Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024, D: Ball) -- The Reviews Thread

Wonít be able to see this til Tuesday but canít wait.
Old 05-08-24, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

A solid 3 stars … Visually stunning, but extremely disappointed in the lack of any interesting story. I was worried about that based on the trailers.

I am so sick of Part 1s that are nothing more than part one. The ending is bordering on nonsensical . . . Until you see the rest of the trilogy some day! It was glaringly evident that Nova was something more than what she presented as. Any of my batshit theories would have played better than what it was (she was “Taylor” … she was one of the mutants … )

Ball had some great ideas, but never bothered to stop to explore them. Seeing Proximus Caesar bastardize the word of Caesar and build his kingdom would have been far more interesting.

Got the poster, so that’s good!
Old 05-09-24, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I liked it. Gave it 4 out of 5. 🤷🏻. It’s absolutely stunning visually and the animations of the apes look so real. I think the technology to create the apes since the last movie has gotten better. Noa was a simple, yet sympathetic protagonist that I cared about. And I loved Raka and his interactions with Noa. He was like a fatherly figure and he was really funny.

Definitely not a “reboot”. It literally picks up during Caesar’s funeral and then jumps ahead a few hundred years. And they do make references to the previous movies on how this all started.

William H. Macy I felt was a little underused.

I do feel like there are some unanswered questions regarding the humans, but looks to be addressed in a future movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-09-24 at 02:56 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk God

Here is the poster they gave out.

The following 3 users liked this post by DJariya:
Abob Teff (05-09-24), Shannon Nutt (05-10-24), Spiderbite (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

I went into this with pretty low expectations and it turned out to be my favorite film so far in 2024. The story is engaging and the FX are amazing (a lock for an Oscar nod, Iím thinking).
JeremyM (05-13-24)
Old 05-10-24, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

I liked it a lot. Maybe not as much as the previous trilogy and the ending is wide open and sequel bait but still overall a good movie.

I do think maybe the story could have been slightly better but I liked the characters and it was still enjoyable to watch. Iíll grab it on 4K when itís available.
JeremyM (05-13-24)
Old 05-11-24, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,350 Likes on 4,343 Posts

I mostly liked it. It did take quite a while to get going. I enjoyed the second half a lot.
Didnít really understand why the bunker was below sea level(?) and who built the dam.
And Proximus spends ages and kills many apes trying to breach the front of the bunker, but never sent a scout to check out the back entrance?
Abob Teff (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 10:22 PM
Cool New Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on box-office projections of $50M for the opening weekend that does not look good.
Old 05-11-24, 10:24 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I went into this with pretty low expectations and it turned out to be my favorite film so far in 2024. The story is engaging and the FX are amazing (a lock for an Oscar nod, Iím thinking).
They are giving out Oscar nods for about anything now a days so no big deal about a movie getting an Oscar nod.
Old 05-11-24, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by nikkijo
They are giving out Oscar nods for about anything now a days so no big deal about a movie getting an Oscar nod.
I don't know what this post is supposed to mean but this movie absolutely deserves an Oscar nod for VFX. They were remarkable.
Old 05-12-24, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

Based on box-office projections of $50M for the opening weekend that does not look good.

You some kind of troll? Looks like it's doing quite well based on projections, and a double what Fall Guy did last weekend. https://www.tmz.com/2024/05/11/kingd...ghts-fall-guy/

Caught this yesterday morning and there were quite a few more people in the theater than I was expecting for an 11am showing. I give the movie *** 1/2 out of 5 stars. Visuals were superb and story was solid for me until the last third, when it got kind of predictable. I also don't like the prospect of this series shifting focus back to the humans. The apes are interesting, the humans aren't and quite frankly never have been in this current series. William H. Macy's character seemed to serve no purpose other than to have a recognizable actor, and Mae would have been more interesting if they kept her mute, as Freya Allan's acting ability isn't exactly the best. That said, I'm still curious where this new trilogy where go . Wes Ball has said he doesn't want to do any of the time travel stuff, so probably not going to get any astronaut arrivals in this series, if it ever happens at all. It could conceivably lead up to the events of the 1968 movie, but the problem with that is the launch date of the original Icarus was sometime in the 1970s and in Rise it's clearly not that time period. Also, the dated make up makes it all a bit anti-climactic.
Old 05-12-24, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Quickie review of the amazingly well done fourth installment of the latest “Planet of the Apes” series.

I don’t want to give much away as there are surprises on top of surprises throughout this beautifully rendered film. Set a few hundred years after the death of Caesar (who was the focus of the first three films of this POTA series), the film turns its focus on Noa, a brave young chimp who is part of the Eagle Clan. When the bulk of the clan is overpowered and kidnapped by another group of apes, Noa finds himself teaming with wise old orangutan Raka, a follower of Caesar’s teachings. He also enters into a trusting relationship with intelligent human Mae, who is full of mind-blowing surprises that feed much of the plot line and aims things in the direction of the inevitable sequels.

This Old Jedi remembers watching the original PotA series in the theater in the 60s/70s as a youngster and I can safely say, I am still solidly a fan of the intelligent ape concept. Between the smart writing, the impressive motion control CGI and the gorgeous visuals, “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” continues to impress. I am giving it a solid 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

Parents, outside of some PG-13 rated action and 3 utterances of the word “s**t”, “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” is intent on bringing a solid story and setting the stage for the films to follow. I say, BRING IT ON!
Old 05-12-24, 12:01 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You some kind of troll? Looks like it's doing quite well based on projections, and a double what Fall Guy did last weekend. https://www.tmz.com/2024/05/11/kingd...ghts-fall-guy/

What's the budget for KINGDOM?
Now you figure next week will be a 50% drop for KINGDOM.
So, it looks like it may be like GHOSTBUSTERS 5 where it inches just past $100M for its total haul.
You think that's good?
Old 05-12-24, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk God

$129M worldwide after 1 week. Every write up says it’s exceeded projections.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-12-24 at 12:42 PM.
Old 05-12-24, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts

What's the budget for KINGDOM?
Now you figure next week will be a 50% drop for KINGDOM.
So, it looks like it may be like GHOSTBUSTERS 5 where it inches just past $100M for its total haul.
You think that's good?

It's actually already surpassed $100 million worldwide and has exceeded expectations. Kingdom has a large budget, but I think it will probably have some legs and turn a small profit and do well enough to get a sequel greenlit. So yes, I think that's good.
Old 05-12-24, 03:09 PM

Yeah, in a post-covid world, any $100M+ opening weekend is pretty good.
Also the second-highest opening weekend for an Apes film. So seven opened with less and still got a sequel.
Old 05-12-24, 06:49 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
It's actually already surpassed $100 million worldwide and has exceeded expectations. Kingdom has a large budget, but I think it will probably have some legs and turn a small profit and do well enough to get a sequel greenlit. So yes, I think that's good.
Then how big the 2nd week drop-off is will tell us.
Old 05-14-24, 08:35 PM
Cool New Member

I went to see it and didn't like it.
The cgi was great since you couldn't tell what was cgi and what was real at times.
Old 05-14-24, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 202 Posts

Saw it and really loved it. Donít understand the complaints of the first hour being slow. Thought it was very well paced. Looking forward to following these characters for a few more films.

Also got to tell a group of about eight 12 year olds who kept running in and out of the theater and talking to shut the fuck up. If I werenít going to the sphere this week thatíd be the highlight of it for sure. This one bitch ass kid kept saying I couldnít talk to him like that as I walked to the counter to get a refill of my drink and tell the staff. Bitch ass kid was wrong, I totally could.