Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hot Spot. D: Dennis Hopper. S: Don Johnson. Jennifer Connelly. Virginia Madsen.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hot Spot. D: Dennis Hopper. S: Don Johnson. Jennifer Connelly. Virginia Madsen.

Old 04-12-24, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 404 Likes on 270 Posts

Okay so I love Easy Rider and Out of the Blue, both directed by Dennis Hopper. So I thought Iíd give this a shot. Iím about a third of the way through and besides Madsen and Connellyís stunning beauty, this is maybe the corniest movie Iíve ever seen. I canít stop laughing. The dialogue is like A.I saw a bad Tennessee Williams adaptation and wrote a script. I just stopped to create this thread after cackling like a hyena over the gratuitous Don Johnson ass shot that looks like it influenced an entire team of season one NYPD Blue writers. Also if I never see a close up of Don Johnsonís face while heís getting a blowjob again, itíll be too soon.

Iíll finish it. But I canít see how this film can be saved. Unless it goes full Tommy Wiseau.
Old 04-12-24, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 346 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: The Hot Spot. D: Dennis Hopper. S: Don Johnson. Jennifer Connelly. Virginia Madsen.

I love this movie ... perfect steamy summer viewing guilty pleasure (like Wild Things). I have both the Kino Lorber and Radiance Films blu-rays in my collection ...

My only quibble would be ...
Spoiler:
I've never liked the ending drive-away scene ... it doesn't look like Harry in the car to me.

The following users liked this post:
Brian T (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,833 Likes on 1,945 Posts
Re: The Hot Spot. D: Dennis Hopper. S: Don Johnson. Jennifer Connelly. Virginia Madsen.

Virginia Madsen and Jennifer Connelly getting naked makes up for a lot of other shortcomings the film may have.

(And this is also one of the films where fullscreen is the preferred viewing format IYKWIM.)
Old 04-12-24, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,354 Likes on 1,588 Posts

There were two big reasons why I liked the film.
Old 04-12-24, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Yeah. This was purely topless Jennifer Connelly: The Movie for 1990s young teenager me.
cultshock (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 966 Likes on 737 Posts

As much as I liked seeing, um, Jennifer's Connellys (and was the reason I rented the movie in the first place; Craig Hosoda's film nudity guide The Bare Facts gave it three stars and a "Hot!" comment), it was unfortunately her least sexiest scene in the movie. The scenes where the camera just crawled up her body, her sweaty dress clinging to her, just crazy sexy marvelous. Then finally the awaited scene, and while it's still nice, it just doesn't have the same sexy style that I'd been anticipating.
Old 04-12-24, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

This was the sort of flick I was thrilled to catch during an HBO/Cinemax/Showtime free preview back in the day. Good times.
Old 04-12-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
As much as I liked seeing, um, Jennifer's Connellys (and was the reason I rented the movie in the first place; Craig Hosoda's film nudity guide The Bare Facts gave it three stars and a "Hot!" comment), it was unfortunately her least sexiest scene in the movie. The scenes where the camera just crawled up her body, her sweaty dress clinging to her, just crazy sexy marvelous. Then finally the awaited scene, and while it's still nice, it just doesn't have the same sexy style that I'd been anticipating.
Heh, the Bare Facts is where I first found out about the scene. I remember stumbling across a copy of the book in the local bookstore, and Connelly being my focus of lust at the time, I thumbed through the book thinking "Please let her be in here!" found the listing and thought "Jackpot!". That evening I went to Blockbuster thinking "Please have this video in stock!" and happily they did. But I agree, although the ample glimpse of the goods was glorious, the scene itself wasn't exactly sexy.

I later bought the book for "research purposes" and the well thumbed copy is still on my bookshelf 30 years later. This was before you could just check out Mr. Skin's website online, so the book was a godsend at the time (plus issues of Celebrity Skin and Sleuth).
Old 04-12-24, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Jennifer Connley was beyond beautiful throughout the 90's and is aging very, very well.
Old 04-12-24, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She's a classic beauty (and indeed breathtaking in the 90s) but these days she could use some meat on her bones, she's kind of worryingly thin IMO.
andicus (04-14-24)
Old 04-12-24, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,053 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Heh, the Bare Facts is where I first found out about the scene. I remember stumbling across a copy of the book in the local bookstore, and Connelly being my focus of lust at the time, I thumbed through the book thinking "Please let her be in here!" found the listing and thought "Jackpot!". That evening I went to Blockbuster thinking "Please have this video in stock!" and happily they did. But I agree, although the ample glimpse of the goods was glorious, the scene itself wasn't exactly sexy.

I later bought the book for "research purposes" and the well thumbed copy is still on my bookshelf 30 years later. This was before you could just check out Mr. Skin's website online, so the book was a godsend at the time (plus issues of Celebrity Skin and Sleuth).
Lol my mom is friends with Craig's mom, and my mom once told me about this weird book Craig had written.
cultshock (04-12-24)
Old 04-12-24, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

It's based on a '50s pulp novel and as such, it perfectly captured the mood of those books.
Brian T (04-17-24)
Old 04-12-24, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,123 Likes on 813 Posts

Won't post the nudity from The Hot Spot, so enjoy this instead

nikkijo (04-16-24)
Old 04-13-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the very film where I fell in love, god damn!
Old 04-13-24, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's the very film where I fell in love, god damn!
I have been fetishizing women with large breasts and long dark hair ever since
Old 04-13-24, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

As a fan of Virginia Madsen, this one has been on my "need to see" list for the longest time, but I've been waiting for a good deal on the blu-ray. I finally ordered it during the current Kino sale, just before this thread popped up. Glad I'll finally be able to see it. I think I have seen the JC screenshots a long time ago.
Old 04-14-24, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 755 Likes on 616 Posts

I remember I saw this but don't remember one scene.

It was during that depressing era when Miami Vice ended and Don Johnson tried a film career and mosly failed.

I remember Guilty as Sin since Rebecca De Mourney was so hot back then.
Old 04-14-24, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is on Pluto though they turned a 2 hour and 10 minute movie to 2 hrs and 37 minutes with all the ad breaks.
Old 04-14-24, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is on Pluto though they turned a 2 hour and 10 minute movie to 2 hrs and 37 minutes with all the ad breaks.
Don't they edit content sometimes? Though it would be hilarious to hear someone watch 2 and a half hours of movie and commercials and wonder what the fuss was all about because some scenes were cut.
Old 04-14-24, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Katie Says Goodbye a indie on Tubi and they showed Olivia Cooke's tits so if the Hot Spot is on Tubi I assume they won't edit?
Old 04-14-24, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

She's a classic beauty (and indeed breathtaking in the 90s) but these days she could use some meat on her bones, she's kind of worryingly thin IMO.
I'm not a fan of skinny chicks. But, to me at least Jennifer has never seem like she was to skinny. To me she was the perfect Woman.
Old 04-14-24, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget Virginia Madson and she is hot too
csant (04-14-24)
Old 04-14-24, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,057 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by csant
I'm not a fan of skinny chicks. But, to me at least Jennifer has never seem like she was to skinny. To me she was the perfect Woman.
I don't know how she is, now, but this pic was a too much (too little?) for me:

Old 04-15-24, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It actually makes me queasy to see thighs like that
Old 04-15-24, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I remember that era, she overshot while losing maternity weight. I think she looks better now.

Hard to believe she has a 27 year old and a 20 year old (and a 13 year old).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.