Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

I Saw the TV Glow (A24) (2024, D: Schoenbrun) S: Justice Smith, Brigette Lundy-Paine

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

I Saw the TV Glow (A24) (2024, D: Schoenbrun) S: Justice Smith, Brigette Lundy-Paine

Old 02-28-24, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 228 Likes on 151 Posts

Teenager Owen (Justice Smith) is just trying to make it through life in the suburbs when his classmate (Brigette Lundy-Paine) introduces him to a mysterious late-night TV show, a vision of a supernatural world beneath their own. In the pale glow of the television, Owen's view of reality begins to crack.

Only in Theaters May 3.

Old 02-29-24, 02:03 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts
re: I Saw the TV Glow (A24) (2024, D: Schoenbrun) S: Justice Smith, Brigette Lundy-Paine

This had a lot of buzz out of Sundance. I didn’t like their last film, so we’ll see how this one is.
Old 03-01-24, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts
re: I Saw the TV Glow (A24) (2024, D: Schoenbrun) S: Justice Smith, Brigette Lundy-Paine

Intrigued by the premise but didn't make it through the trailer. The mumbling zero inflection dead voices of the characters completely killed it.
Old 03-01-24, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,137 Posts

I keep reading the thread title as “I saw the TV show ‘Glow’” and expect it to be about the Alison Brie series.
Old 03-01-24, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 244 Likes on 176 Posts

"They're here."
Old 03-01-24, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 171 Posts

While they are definitely hit and miss, A24 productions consistently give you something outside the box for modern movies.
Old 05-13-24, 03:22 PM

This expands to more theatres this week.

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_saw_the_tv_glow

The soundtrack is killer.
Old 05-19-24, 11:53 AM

I thought it was OK for the most part. I liked it more then Schoenbrun's first feature, We're AllGoing to the World's Fair. There are a lot of things going on and I think many interpretations can be made (comments on nostalgia, trans allegory, etc.). There is a lot of hyperbole around this film in some comments and reviews. As with most of A24's offerings, it is not something for general audiences.

The film looked great and has a very ethereal feel to it. I don't generally like Justice Smith, but didn't mind him here. I liked Brigette Lundy-Paine a lot Atypical and they turned in a great performance.

A lot of interesting cameos/actors in roles from that mid-90s/early aughts era...Fred Durst, Amber Benson, Mike Maronna and Danny Tamberelli. Plus the musicians... Lindsey Jordan (Snail Mail) and Phoebe Bridgers. I'm surprised they didn't get someone like Gabrielle Union for Owen's mom.

As I mentioned in the my earlier post... the soundtrack is great.
Old 05-28-24, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 815 Likes on 386 Posts
Re: I Saw the TV Glow (A24) (2024, D: Schoenbrun) S: Justice Smith, Brigette Lundy-Paine

I saw this last night. This one hit me hard. As a relatively recent transitioner who lived most of my life as another person, the trans allegory was clear as day to me. I've seen some people say that they've never seen the feeling of dysphoria as clearly depicted on film before, and I have to agree. The ending tore my heart out, and I had to compose myself before I left the theater. I guess it's open, but it did not feel like a happy ending to me. I wanted Isabel to wake up in the Pink Opaque with Tara.

It's definitely not for everyone, but for those who identify with the themes, it can be pretty rough. I'm glad that such a queer horror film was made and that I was able to see it in a theater..