Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Kumite (2024) -- S: Billy Blanks, Cynthia Rothrock, Michel Qissi, Matthias Hues

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Last Kumite (2024) -- S: Billy Blanks, Cynthia Rothrock, Michel Qissi, Matthias Hues

Old 02-13-24, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

The Last Kumite is an action packed old school martial arts fighting movie in the style of 80's and 90's classics like Bloodsport, Kickboxer and No Retreat, No Surrender. It follows Michael Rivers, a skilled martial artist and is forced to fight in an illegal fighting tournament in order to save his daughter. Along his journey he discovers other martial artists have also been forced to fight to save their loved ones.

What is this 1992? PM Entertainment?

Looks ultra cheesy. The song in the trailer is written and sung by Stan Bush, who also performed "Fight to Survive" in Kickboxer.

This was apparently a crowd funded movie and will be dropped on VOD in May.

The lead actor of this is Mathis Landwehr, who is a former stuntman. The director is a cameraman and cinematographer on a lot of B action movies.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-13-24 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-13-24, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 358 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Last Kumite (2024) -- S: Billy Blanks, Cynthia Rothrock, Michel Qissi, Matthias Hues

The only name that made me pause was David "Bolo Jr" Yeung.

And yes, I usually don't watch trailers, but I wasn't risking anything with this one
Old 02-13-24, 01:25 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: The Last Kumite (2024) -- S: Billy Blanks, Cynthia Rothrock, Michel Qissi, Matthias Hues

The following 2 users liked this post by HN:
Bandoman (03-13-24), Brian T (02-13-24)
Old 02-13-24, 01:31 PM

Received 4,681 Likes on 3,169 Posts

I remember when this was being crowdfunded.
Old 02-13-24, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 645 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
The only name that made me pause was David "Bolo Jr" Yeung.
About a month ago, I noticed his name in an IMDB listing for what appeared to be Sonny Chiba’s last film, apparently a 2024 release despite Chiba dying in 2021.Yeung’s IMDB listing then led me to LAST KUMITE, his only other film since a childhood appearance in Ann Hui’s PAINTED FACES in 1988! The resemblance to his father is unmistakable, although he’s a lot more cut overall.

LAST KUMITE just looks so cheap even compared to PM stuff. The “kumite” here looks like the community theater stage in my old home town - not at all where one might expect to find an underground fighting racket. At least PM spent real money back in those days, especially with their often spectacular car stunts. The winking sense of nostalgia here — thanks to the has-been supporting cast (all of whom have been trading on their 90’s glory ever since then) and the music, of course — will probably be the only things that separate this from the myriad of fringe-made martial arts movies of the last 15 years or so (and there are a lot more of them than people realize, including one by Clarkson - see below), mostly made by people who refuse to accept that the era is over, and that funding has essentially dwindled to nothing because the ROI has done the same, making most of them vanity projects for talented martial artists who aren’t much else.

Clarkson was also fortunate to be a cinematographer on a couple of good-not-great Ringo Lam films, VICTIM and THE SUSPECT, and one below-average one, LOOKING FOR MR. PERFECT, as well as the, uhh, colourful SEX & CHOPSTICKS films. Overall, though, his HK films were on par with the western B-movies he was shooting at the time and still shoots today. Two of his previous directorial efforts, CAPTURED (2020) and VIXEN (2018) are on Tubi is you want a feel for his work. I didn’t find them very good — and Vixen has the taint of Bey Logan on it, unfortunately — although CAPTURED has lots of location photography around Hong Kong, which looked nice. His other feature, co-directed with Philippe Martinez, was GENERAL COMMANDER starring Steven Seagal. Less said, etc etc.

Clarkson trailers (all of which make the moves look better than they really are) :

Last edited by Brian T; 03-12-24 at 11:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MLBFan24 (02-13-24)
Old 03-12-24, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

4K combo pre-order, only $45 (which presumably will drop):
Amazon Amazon
DJariya (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Received 1,077 Likes on 627 Posts

This looks like it can't decide if it's The Karate Kid or Bloodsport. Why is it so serious if it's the former and where is the sleaze and grime if it's the latter? Like what is the tone of this and who is it made for?
Brian T (03-12-24)
Old 03-12-24, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 651 Likes on 501 Posts

David Yeung is a beast, just like his dad was.

IBJoel (03-12-24)
Old 03-13-24, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by IBJoel
This looks like it can't decide if it's The Karate Kid or Bloodsport. Why is it so serious if it's the former and where is the sleaze and grime if it's the latter? Like what is the tone of this and who is it made for?
It’s odd too that they’ve put the disc up pre-order at a pretty hefty fee (which some undoubtedly will pay out of sheer goodwill) based on little more than a teaser trailer comprised entirely of nostalgia feels and not much plot or dialogue to get a sense of scope or the performances.
IBJoel (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 07:13 AM

and who is it made for?
Nostalgic suckers who'd pay $45 for a UHD... or even more for rewards on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...kumite/rewards
Brian T (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 07:53 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 589 Likes on 337 Posts

Holy schniekies, I hadn't even heard of this. It looks...interesting.

I met Billy Blanks in the Watertown Mall in Watertown MA in the late 80s. He was just shopping. My roommates and I were really into martial arts and we had a nice chat with him. This was before Tae Bo made him famous outside of the niche subculture of martial arts movies. He was very nice.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bandoman:
B.A. (03-16-24), IBJoel (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Received 1,077 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Nostalgic suckers who'd pay $45 for a UHD... or even more for rewards on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...kumite/rewards
Meanwhile I'm down the Golden Harvest and In the Line of Duty wells on Tubi for free.

Honestly, I would be down to watch this on streaming, but it has the same problem as all these other retro nostalgia movies: None of them look or feel like the old stuff. They're shot on digital, use digital effects, and somehow feel too polished AND too cheap
Bandoman (03-13-24)
Old 03-13-24, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
The winking sense of nostalgia here — thanks to the has-been supporting cast (all of whom have been trading on their 90’s glory ever since then) and the music, of course — will probably be the only things that separate this from the myriad of fringe-made martial arts movies of the last 15 years or so, mostly made by people who refuse to accept that the era is over, and that funding has essentially dwindled to nothing . . .
Originally Posted by dex14
Indeed, I think nostalgia is just about the only thing fueling both ends of this enterprise. I’m sure they meant well, and I guess they got funded so there’s clearly a (small) audience for it, but honestly, a lot of the people behind (and in) this film have been trying to keep the genre alive for the last 30 years with diminishing budgets and results, and this looks no different other than a bit more spit-shine on the production values (which still look pretty threadbare) and that song.

The movies this one homages may have been low-budget DTV fare, but by comparison you quickly realize just how far those low-budgets went in the 90’s, in terms of location shooting, sets, non-martial arts stunt work (like car stuff), and whatnot. And a lot of those movies back in the day could easily have a million bucks or more behind them because they knew the home video market, globally, would recoup that investment. A couple hundred thousand in today’s market isn’t gonna get you much.

Meanwhile I'm down the Golden Harvest and In the Line of Duty wells on Tubi for free.

Honestly, I would be down to watch this on streaming, but it has the same problem as all these other retro nostalgia movies: None of them look or feel like the old stuff. They're shot on digital, use digital effects, and somehow feel too polished AND too cheap
For my money (and for free!), those are pretty good wells to go down. Hopefully you’re enjoying the dive?

Canadians don’t get quite the same selection, so the only ITLOD films I can watch there are the first (in English, as ITLOD II ) and fifth (also dubbed). Still, Tubi’s a goldmine for the “old stuff” you mention, and for any flaws one can find in the old stuff, it still easily outshines most of these modern digital nostalgia productions just in sheer terms of the scale of production (even on what were lower budgets back then). If anything, “making movies” today, from a technology standpoint, is just too easy. Everybody and their mother can do it by pointing and shooting a camera, fixing everything in post, hiring some ‘vintage’ marquee names who are pretty accessible and affordable, and stitching in stock footage (also accessible and affordable nowadays) for establishing shots. But it’s still fairly apparent that many of today’s low-budget filmmakers by necessity have to keep logistics exceedingly tight, and that’s always most noticeable on action pictures, which makes shows like LAST KUMITE feel kinda small, even claustrophobic. Mind you I’m basing that on a trailer, but I doubt I’ll be swayed.

Last edited by Brian T; 03-13-24 at 07:14 PM.
IBJoel (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Full trailer dropped. Oliver Harper, who produced a crowd funded action movies documentary a few years ago, apparently edited the movie and this trailer.

B.A. (03-16-24)
Old 03-15-24, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That documentary, IN SEARCH OF THE LAST ACTION HEROES, is on Tubi for those interested in his previous production. It’s ok. Still not feeling LAST KUMITE, though. It kinda feels like a straight-up clone with nothing new up its sleeve, or a sense of humour but maybe it’ll surprise me. Seeing Capelight’s logo at the outset means it should be cheap down the road (unless they all sell out like he says the German edition did). I’ve picked up a lot of their releases via Hamilton book in the $5-7 range after a year or two.
Old 05-15-24, 03:23 PM

This is available now on digital/VOD.